Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Grid Promo  (Read 2281 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Power Grid Promo
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

So when i read the secret stories of the promo cards, it said that Donald was originally meant to make a Promo for Power Grid.

Edit: theory pointed out there already was a thread about making a Power Grid Promo. Check it out ;)

My addition (which actually doesn't fit the theme as much as many of them older cards):

Windmill
2$, Action
+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action
Choose a card from your hand. Trash it, discard it or put it on top of your deck.

When you buy this, put it aside. Gain it after you shuffle the next time.

About the game Power Grid itself:
Power Grid is a game where you supply cities with energy and for this have to get power stations that use with coal, uranium, trash or oil. Sometimes you'll also be able to get a windmill that produces green energy without resources, but as you have to bid higher than opponents to get a station, you'll sometimes end up paying too much. Also the turn order in power grid changes every round, giving the leading player the strategically worst position.

It's awesome, try it. It's a great excuse to wear your halloween lab coat, too.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:20:16 pm by Asper »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Power Grid Promo
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
+2

Some people tossed around some ideas here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5344.0;all

I like your card though I'm not sure the theme connection is really that tight.

Also you should discuss some PG strategy in our upcoming PG strategy forum! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=56.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:48:30 am »

Some people tossed around some ideas here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5344.0;all

I like your card though I'm not sure the theme connection is really that tight.

Also you should discuss some PG strategy in our upcoming PG strategy forum! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=56.0

Oops, didn't know this topic already existed. And yeah, looking at the cards there they are probably much closer. Thanks.

Edit: As an administrator, can you remove my thread then? I tried but i can't. Thank you again.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:50:19 am by Asper »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:29:02 pm »
+1

Edit: As an administrator, can you remove my thread then? I tried but i can't. Thank you again.

Hey, I approve any thread with a plug for the PG subforum  :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »
+1

It looks superficially similar to ... Lookout?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »

It looks superficially similar to ... Lookout?

Actually it's a mix between three classic 2$s: Cellar, Chapel and Courtyard. It may be a draw-discard that draws first and discards later, or draw and put back with an action, or even trash, adding an action and a card draw - but unlike those three, it's always about one card a time.

The card you trash/discard/put back does not need to be the card you draw, so it's actually much more versatile and strong than Outlook. Especially in early game, as it's basically a trashing cantrip. If you draw something and don't want to trash anything later, meh, just discard or put back on top of your deck. That's the reasons for the reshuffle penalty.

Edit: Just now i notice in English all three cards it's made of begin with C. Guess i have to find something with C then...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:39:06 pm by Asper »

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »
+1

Oh... Just realized that this card makes 2-5 opening much stronger than 5-2 opening!

I like asymmetry, but is that delay really better than nothing?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »

Oh... Just realized that this card makes 2-5 opening much stronger than 5-2 opening!

I don't understand. Why do you think it does make a difference which of the first 2 turns you buy this at?

In any case, i don't shuffle my deck until turn 3. And i gain it after shuffeling, so in turn 3s clean-up i draw my 5 cards from a 11-card deck with Windmill the only card in the discard. It will take until turn 5 earliest before i see my Windmill in both cases.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:09:51 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »
+1

It sounds like you may be shuffling at the wrong time.  You only shuffle when you need to draw cards, not when your draw pile is empty.  So you don't shuffle the first time until after your second turn is over.  Whether you open 2/5 or 5/2, Windmill would be gained at the same time, after the first reshuffle.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.