Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Conquest - the 5s  (Read 8612 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Conquest - the 5s
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »

Investment
Action         5
Gain a gold

A very simple card. I won't say much until there's discussion here.

Something I just posted in ChaosRed's thread just made me realize:  Isn't this strictly superior to Explorer at the same price?
No. You don't gain anything in hand.

Oh.  Right.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 11:42:24 am »

With Inspectors - it has the problem that it's spammable and will repeatedly interact with other players hands in a complicated manner.

Playing Inspector + Inspector + Inspector + Inspector requires a LOT of interaction, especially in a 3+ player game. And before you say "Why would I ever chain inspectors", if you've got Militia or Ghostship about, it's a good plan.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

With Inspectors - it has the problem that it's spammable and will repeatedly interact with other players hands in a complicated manner.

Playing Inspector + Inspector + Inspector + Inspector requires a LOT of interaction, especially in a 3+ player game. And before you say "Why would I ever chain inspectors", if you've got Militia or Ghostship about, it's a good plan.
I wouldn't say that. What I would say is "why is lots of interaction a bad thing?" Player interaction is what makes the game fun, and not just seeing who can play a solitaire game better. Okay, this also has a lot of direct interaction with other players, but I don't think that's such a big problem either.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »

Compare it to spy, which is quite time consuming as it is. That just has fairly simple yes/no decision for each player - it's often just "leave copper/victory, discard all else" and once you've hit a 'leave it on top' for a player, that decision is unlikely to change.

For inspector, for each other player you've got to make the choice "Which of these 5 cards do I want to get rid of". That's a decision that's likely to take some consideration - I wouldn't be surprised if it took you a minute to process through 3 other player's hands. Then, once you play it again you've got to make a seperate decision on a different hand for each player. That's not even taking into account if you force other players through a shuffle. Playing a chain of Inspectors could make for a turn that takes minutes to complete.

Maybe I'm over exaggerating, but it just seems like it's going to be way way too slow to play - try playtesting with 4 players where inspector+militia looks like a viable strategy and see.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 09:45:17 pm »

I understand where you're coming from, and whilst I don't think it will be that much of an issue, it will be something I keep in mind when I playtest it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.