Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: King's Court: A goofy game I'm working on  (Read 2291 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
King's Court: A goofy game I'm working on
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »

This has nothing to do with the card 'King's Court', I just thought it was a cool name.

This game is a smaller game with very few amount of cards with the fun lying in how the players act. It's a Deduction-like game similar to the original 'Memory' game. You have to try and figure out which cards your opponents have, and where, and even what you have yourself.

I've never mocked up cards or anything, but I plan on doing so tonight, and I imagine the game will work something like this.

But wait a second...how do you win?

Cards in the deck have numbers on them that have a point value that can either be negative or positive. Whoever has the highest points at the end of the game is the winner. You must switch cards with other players to gain the most valuable cards that are worth the most points.

Starting out the game

There is one deck that is shuffled thoroughly. Each player is dealt a number of cards. The number of cards is yet to be determined, but everyone will receive the same amount of cards. These cards are kept face down in front of each player and you cannot look at their faces. Each player selects 2 (1?) of their cards to look at, and then puts it back, face down. Decide on someone to go first.

The game is played in a series of rounds and each round consists of each player's turn.

On your turn

Your turn works like this:

Choose one player and choose one of these two options: passive picking or aggressive picking.

Passive Picking:

Choose 1 of the cards in front of you and put your hand over it. The person that you picked does the same.

Aggressive Picking:

Choose 1 of the cards in front of the player you chose and tell them to put their hand over it. The person you picked does the same to you.

Either way, once both players have their hand on a card, you look at the front of the card yourself and show it to everyone else, but NOT the player you chose. The player you chose does the same, looking at it himself and showing it to everyone but you. The cards and then put back facedown they are swapped with one another. So that the player that you chose gives his card facedown to you and you give your card face down to them. These cards are placed back into the row of cards in front of each player.

Once everyone has taken their turn, the round is over and the next round starts with whoever started the last round. Once all the rounds are over, the game is over.

Game End/Scoring

Each player flips over the cards in front of them and counts up the score. Highest score wins.

Why is this called King's Court!?

Each card is a member of a king's court. I imagine there's the Queen, Jester, Princess, Prince, Messenger, and of course the King himself. The higher up the person in royalty the more points they are worth. So say the Messenger is 1 Point, the Princess is 2, the Prince is 3, Queen is 4, and King is 5. The Jester would then be worth -1 points.

So yep. That's the game. Just thought I'd share it with everyone to say if anyone is interested in it. It's definitely not perfect, but hope any tweaks that I make to it keeps the same premise that I want: A small, simple, family-friendly game, that has a small ounce of deduction that doesn't make the game too complex.

If something doesn't make sense, feel free to ask me and I'll clarify.
Thanks!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: King's Court: A goofy game I'm working on
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »

Yes I know this is vaguely similiar to Love Letter and yes I know that the theme of this game doen't make too much sense, but I help that the gameplay is immersive enough to make up for it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
+2

Minor rules suggestion: Perhaps the trading of cards should happen first, and then you reveal the (new) card to everyone but yourself?

It sounds fun, but I expect most people would just keep trading for the highest value card they'd seen for the most part...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:40 pm »

I agree with tables' suggestion. I'd also add that  maybe each player starts with six cards, and looks at two at the beginning. It should also be known that each player has one of each value to start with, but they don't know which one is which. (values being -1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »
+1

Sounds like this could be done with a pack of regular playing cards.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:04:17 am »

Sounds like this could be done with a pack of regular playing cards.
I'll probably test it with that, come to think of it.

I like your rules change Tables, I'll probably use that.

The highest value card infinite is definitely a problem, and I've been bouncing around ideas on ways to do it.

Maybe...

Each player can put 1 card into their hand. That card can be looked at by that player and can be swapped on their turn for one of the cards in front of them. Cards that are in hand score no points at the end of the game.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:06:25 am »

I agree with tables' suggestion. I'd also add that  maybe each player starts with six cards, and looks at two at the beginning. It should also be known that each player has one of each value to start with, but they don't know which one is which. (values being -1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm going to be testing the version where the players starting cards are random first, but will try yours if mine ends up making the players starting positions too unbalanced.

I'll also use the 2 card suggestion, and then a player puts one of them in their hand for protection at the beginning.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:42 am »

Card List:
1 King {5}
1 Queen {4}
2 Princes {3}
2 Princesses {2}
4 Messengers {1}
1 Peasant {0}
1 Jester {-1}

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:13:38 am »

Card List:
1 King {5}
1 Queen {4}
2 Princes {3}
2 Princesses {2}
4 Messengers {1}
1 Peasant {0}
1 Jester {-1}
Total Cards: 12

I'm using this amount because it is evenly divisible by 2, 3, and 4 and so it can be played with that amount of players.

EDIT: I guess it could be played with 6 too, but not 5.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:15:19 am by Archetype »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:18:39 am »

Test Results:

...were pretty good! I played two player and did 5 rounds. Pretty fun! You have to pay close attention though, made a mistake and swapped a 3 for a 1. The hand thing is really cool and something I'll be using for sure. Adds some depth to the game. Tomorrow I should be able to play a 4 player game, so I'll have to see how hard it is to keep track of things with that many players.

While we were playing I also tweaked some things in the rulebook, so I'll post an updated one soon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:20:09 am by Archetype »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.