Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower/Masquerade Goko  (Read 1300 times)

attrill

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Watchtower/Masquerade Goko
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:28:09 am »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but couldn't find it on the wiki FAQ or on the forums.

I've just played a game on Goko where we both went for Masquerades and Watchtowers. Whenever my opponent played Masquerade on me, I could not reveal the Watchtower to trash that card (or theoretically to put it on top of my deck). Watchtower is not a reaction to an attack, but instead says to reveal whenever I 'gain a card'. Surely passing me a card is me gaining one, correct?

Is this a mistake on their part or am I misinterpreting the rules? I will report it as a bug once we get clarification on here!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower/Masquerade Goko
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:34:32 am »

"Gaining" is a very particular mechanism, and Masquerade's text refers to "passing" a card.  No one "gains" the card they receive in the technical sense.

Essentially, there is no card that lets you gain a card directly from another player.  Compare with Thief and Ambassador.  With these, you do gain a card, but if you read carefully you are not gaining them directly from another player.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:35:46 am by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:42:01 am »
+4

In the Intrigue rulebook, they actually introduce "passing" as a new Dominion term. The text reads: "Pass - when  player passes a card to another player, he places that card face down on the table between himself and the other player. The recieving player then takes the card from the table and puts it in his hand. A passed card is not revealed to the other players. A passed card is not considered to be trashed or discarded by the player passing it and is not considered to be gained by the player receiving it."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:49:56 am by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

attrill

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:51:29 am »
+1

Fair enough, thank you for the rule clarification! Didn't realise the difference, got it now....thanks!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:28 am »

No prob. Welcome to Dominion Strategy Forum, btw!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.