Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More than one way to skin a Rats  (Read 2171 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
More than one way to skin a Rats
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:38:40 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130403/log.50635cc651c3843e7939ece8.1365050567866.txt

Wanted to post this interesting set of combos.  Rats obviously benefits from TFB cards like Apprentice.  My opponent picks up on a really interesting combo here, though: Rats + Farmland = Grand Market.

Meanwhile on the topic of failing at shuffling, on the last shuffle four of my top seven cards are my four Provinces.  Doh!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Re: More than one way to skin a Rats
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40:48 am »

Rats also combos with Vineyard.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:48:26 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130403/log.50635cc651c3843e7939ece8.1365050567866.txt

nice use of the rats here :)

Nice combo's that come to my mind immediately too are: Bishop + Rats, Death cart + Rats and Salvager + Rats.

Does anyone know other cool combinations as well ?

Cheers

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:03:29 am »

If we don't mind going to 3 cards, then Rats, Junk Dealer, Conspirator is just about enough to put together a Conspirator engine.  Rats and Junk Dealer would normally be too much effort for the one-time Lab effect, but being able to activate Conspirators makes it slightly more attractive.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:39 pm »

Sort of? It gives you extra Actions quickly, but it also quickly becomes dangerous to play those Actions (you especially don't want to be forced to trash Vineyards). And then if you don't play them, they become dead cards - it's even worse than if you'd loaded upon terminals, since you can't fix it with villages.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »

Vineyards and +buy, then.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:02 pm »

Sort of? It gives you extra Actions quickly, but it also quickly becomes dangerous to play those Actions (you especially don't want to be forced to trash Vineyards). And then if you don't play them, they become dead cards - it's even worse than if you'd loaded upon terminals, since you can't fix it with villages.

Rats turns your non-action junk (coppers, estates) into action junk (rats). Of course you don't play rats when you don't have something to trash with it! But all your dead cards are now powering up your vineyards instead of just sitting there. They were already dead and sitting there before, now your 10 starting cards are now 10 rats which ups each of your vineyards by 3 points! And you can spend spare buys on coppers, which will then turn into more rats. It's better than if you loaded up on terminals, because you spent one buy buying a rats, which over the course of the game turned into 11 Actions. Whereas to load up on terminals, you'd have to spend lots of turns "loading up" on them.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »
+4

On this board, I might have been tempted to try Rats with Secret Chamber and Scrying Pool. You don't even need to trash all your Rats when you can draw them easily and then discard them for coin.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.