Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 86272 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »

Uninstalled last night.  The game's fun-to-time ratio was way too low for me.  Especially in ranked -- things even out given enough time, but time is exactly the resource I have the least of.

Wow, I am surprised to hear you say that. I mean, I definitely understand the game takes up alot of time. I was wondering what you mean by its fun-to-time ratio. Do you mean simply how long a game takes, or something different.

If you don't spend at least 2 hours a day average playing League, it's not a fun game.  That has been my experience.  There is a certain necessary amount of proficiency, and ranked sample sizes.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »

Uninstalled last night.  The game's fun-to-time ratio was way too low for me.  Especially in ranked -- things even out given enough time, but time is exactly the resource I have the least of.

Wow, I am surprised to hear you say that. I mean, I definitely understand the game takes up alot of time. I was wondering what you mean by its fun-to-time ratio. Do you mean simply how long a game takes, or something different.

If you don't spend at least 2 hours a day average playing League, it's not a fun game.  That has been my experience.  There is a certain necessary amount of proficiency, and ranked sample sizes.

How so? The reason I ask is I think a lot of people have this thought that ranked is the only mode worth playing. Also, I think that how "proficient" people are is vastly different than how proficient they think they are. This causes people to think they are either far better or far worse than the people they are matched with, which in turn makes the game not very fun. I used to be angry almost every game I played because I felt not good enough, once I stopped being so serious I have not only enjoyed the game, but I have also improved(as far as ranked goes) I think more casualness is actually an easy way to improve enjoyment.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
+1

For me, I could play it either in ranked or with friends.  Ranked quickly became not-so-fun, because the lows far outweighed the highs for me.  The joy of winning and advancing is more than cancelled out by the AFKers, or the jungler that started Baron with a smite and left to do red buff, or the team that surrendered despite being up in kills, towers, and dragons because we lost a teamfight.  It balances out given enough time, but time is exactly the resource I have the least of.  And just because it balances out statistically doesn't make it fun -- there is no pleasure in winning a 5v4, certainly nothing that outweighs the annoyance of losing a 4v5.

With friends, it was sort of fun, and I could foresee myself getting back into it that way, but it's much harder for me to enjoy than ranked.  It always leaves me wanting to play ranked and getting disappointed in the outcome.

The real problem was that ranked was sometimes fun.  If it was never fun, I would never get tempted into it, but the fact that it was occasionally rewarding kept me coming back for more, even though it was overall a net negative experience.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:02 pm »

For me, I could play it either in ranked or with friends.  Ranked quickly became not-so-fun, because the lows far outweighed the highs for me.  The joy of winning and advancing is more than cancelled out by the AFKers, or the jungler that started Baron with a smite and left to do red buff, or the team that surrendered despite being up in kills, towers, and dragons because we lost a teamfight.  It balances out given enough time, but time is exactly the resource I have the least of.  And just because it balances out statistically doesn't make it fun -- there is no pleasure in winning a 5v4, certainly nothing that outweighs the annoyance of losing a 4v5.

With friends, it was sort of fun, and I could foresee myself getting back into it that way, but it's much harder for me to enjoy than ranked.  It always leaves me wanting to play ranked and getting disappointed in the outcome.

The real problem was that ranked was sometimes fun.  If it was never fun, I would never get tempted into it, but the fact that it was occasionally rewarding kept me coming back for more, even though it was overall a net negative experience.

That I understand, or at least I understand part of it. I personally really really dislike ranked, and I agree the lows outwiegh the highs, I mainly play to play with friends(hence why I am sad to see one go) but can understand if ranked is the way you want to go, it is very time consuming and has some deep deep lows.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »

AFK's and wonky plays like that tend to fade as you go up.  But then it comes back to need to throwing time at the game to get it to be enjoyable. 

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »

Maybe it's a product of circumstances.  I was at high LP in Silver I, before getting four straight AFK/disconnect and dropping to Silver II.  I vowed to regroup, refocus on my mistakes, and play carefully.  I made it to my Silver I promotion series, where I lost one game due to poor play and the other due to an AFK.  And this week I suddenly dropped to 0 LP in Silver II thanks to AFK, disconnect, premature surrender, and winning-lane-but-losing-game.

Now, the way out of my predicament seems twofold:

* Play enough games, and all this variance smooths out; or
* Be so good at the game that my teammates' badness literally does not matter.

I don't really have time for either of those.  I want so badly to like this game, but it's just so damn frustrating.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

Maybe it's a product of circumstances.  I was at high LP in Silver I, before getting four straight AFK/disconnect and dropping to Silver II.  I vowed to regroup, refocus on my mistakes, and play carefully.  I made it to my Silver I promotion series, where I lost one game due to poor play and the other due to an AFK.  And this week I suddenly dropped to 0 LP in Silver II thanks to AFK, disconnect, premature surrender, and winning-lane-but-losing-game.

Now, the way out of my predicament seems twofold:

* Play enough games, and all this variance smooths out; or
* Be so good at the game that my teammates' badness literally does not matter.

I don't really have time for either of those.  I want so badly to like this game, but it's just so damn frustrating.
Let's quit league and play Hearthstone :D

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:24 am »

I'm not even level 30, and playing once every 2 or 3 days and not doing well is still fun for me :D You all got too good at it!!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2014, 11:05:41 am »
+1

So they're introducing a League of Legends Fantasy League: http://fantasy.lolesports.com/
How about forming an f.ds league?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:02 am »

I'd potentially be down..is it separated by region? I'd join if it's NA only, if it's NA/EU combined I'd be less inclined, as I'm trying to limit myself from watching too much LCS.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:55 am »
+1

I think it's combined.

In the meantime I am trying to figure out good team names:

All Chat Warriors
Lee Sin To Your Heart
TF's Green Card
Death is the Best CC
Bro Do You Even Rift

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:58 am »
+1

I think it's combined.

In the meantime I am trying to figure out good team names:

All Chat Warriors
Lee Sin To Your Heart
TF's Green Card
Death is the Best CC
Bro Do You Even Rift
The Fill Harmonic

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »

Yeah, this looks super cool, I'm definitely in.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »

auto /in?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »

How much do you all follow LCS / what's your favorite teams? I try to at least follow the matches and watch a few every weekend.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 08:16:23 pm »

How much do you all follow LCS / what's your favorite teams? I try to at least follow the matches and watch a few every weekend.
Unfortunately, I have watched a total of 0 LCS games. I mostly play League with friends from time to time, and my current summer schedule doesn't give me much time for any Leaguing. I'm not even Level 30 yet.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »

I have seen every game except all stars. Its what you get with a rowing machine and a computer/projector in your basement

NA: My favorite team has been TSM forever, but i was a TSM fan back when then lineup was rainman/oddone/regi/chaox/xspecial...so that team doesnt really exists anymore. Bjerugson is debatable the best player in all of league of legends right now and I do love dyrus, but I am not a wildturtle fan so idk. I like the new curse lineup alot, with xspecial as support cop should really be able to shine, and voyboy has always been great, only problem with that is I really really don't like Iwildominate.

EU: Fnatic is amazing, their adc was like bred to play league competitively and is probably one of the most micro-skilled players out their. Froggen is overrated and his new team sucks. Actually much of the EU LCS is really up in the air because alot of the good players get drafted by NA teams ad since the NA scene is much more profitable they want to come over.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:06:07 pm by mcmcsalot »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »

http://fantasy.lolesports.com/en-US/join/league/77596/jkcr5QbppOU803iTlxXe

Only room for 4 teams in this one but I'm sure we can make more leagues.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2014, 04:13:59 am »

I'm having problems logging onto the fantasy website. When I enter in my username and password, the log-in screen just pops up again. I can get onto other parts of the league website, but it just won't let me get onto the fantasy part.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2014, 05:35:17 pm »

I have seen every game except all stars. Its what you get with a rowing machine and a computer/projector in your basement

NA: My favorite team has been TSM forever, but i was a TSM fan back when then lineup was rainman/oddone/regi/chaox/xspecial...so that team doesnt really exists anymore. Bjerugson is debatable the best player in all of league of legends right now and I do love dyrus, but I am not a wildturtle fan so idk. I like the new curse lineup alot, with xspecial as support cop should really be able to shine, and voyboy has always been great, only problem with that is I really really don't like Iwildominate.

EU: Fnatic is amazing, their adc was like bred to play league competitively and is probably one of the most micro-skilled players out their. Froggen is overrated and his new team sucks. Actually much of the EU LCS is really up in the air because alot of the good players get drafted by NA teams ad since the NA scene is much more profitable they want to come over.

Bjergsen the best?  But what about the Koreans?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »

I legitimately believe that bjergsen is better than the koreans, I don't know if you have seen the all stars show matches, but bjergsen plays against all the other pros in a bunch of different modes and specifically URF mode, he gets almost 30 kills and 1v4's the enemy team. In a game that increases your abilities, it enhances your ability to micro. I legit think he is the best. He has been carrying tsm the entire last split cannot wait to see what they do with a good jungler

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2014, 04:03:25 am »

I legitimately believe that bjergsen is better than the koreans, I don't know if you have seen the all stars show matches, but bjergsen plays against all the other pros in a bunch of different modes and specifically URF mode, he gets almost 30 kills and 1v4's the enemy team. In a game that increases your abilities, it enhances your ability to micro. I legit think he is the best. He has been carrying tsm the entire last split cannot wait to see what they do with a good jungler

I'd still rate some of the top korean mid laners over him. Faker for sure, maybe Ryu, definitely Dade when he plays a good champion. He's a good player, but I wouldn't put stock in URF mode as an indicator of skill. Think of it as, once you get ahead, each of your skills is doing more damage. So, when everyone's sending out 5 times as many skills per team fight, the difference in your damage outputs is going to be much more magnified than in a normal game, so an early lead snowballs incredibly hard.

Pretty much all the top players have the same level of pure mechanics, the skill difference comes from innate game sense, and I don't think Bjergsen's is as good.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:53 am »

We need one more!  I'll throw out some suggested times, and you all tell me what time is best for drafting:

1PM EDT
4PM EDT
6PM EDT
9PM EDT

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2014, 10:27:16 am »

I'd still rate some of the top korean mid laners over him. Faker for sure, maybe Ryu, definitely Dade when he plays a good champion. He's a good player, but I wouldn't put stock in URF mode as an indicator of skill. Think of it as, once you get ahead, each of your skills is doing more damage. So, when everyone's sending out 5 times as many skills per team fight, the difference in your damage outputs is going to be much more magnified than in a normal game, so an early lead snowballs incredibly hard.

Pretty much all the top players have the same level of pure mechanics, the skill difference comes from innate game sense, and I don't think Bjergsen's is as good.
[/quote]

Yea, I understand what your saying, and obviously I do say he's debatably the best. Though I do disagree that all the top players have the same level of mechanics. There is actually a solid gap in strength in micro skill between players and champions. This is why there is literally a move named after a pro player(lee sin insec) most of the Korean teams have a very good macro game and amazing rotations, however their individual players are not necessarily the best mechanically. I think in a straight up 1v1 bjergsun would beat faker, faker plays very roam heavy mid laners like tf, lulu, and nid, which abuse other teams lack of awareness.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:13 am »

We need one more!  I'll throw out some suggested times, and you all tell me what time is best for drafting:

1PM EDT
4PM EDT
6PM EDT
9PM EDT

If it's a weekday, gotta be after 5 for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.