Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Young Witch on the second page  (Read 9399 times)

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
Young Witch on the second page
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »

I remember reading people theorize about this happening, and well I've just started a game where it happened. I saw it right away, but my opponent didn't realize it till I had bought my Young Witch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27n2hse0xpjkbkg/page%201.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfyff6viwggsvdn/page%202.png?m
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k141k5cjp2ybkg7/opponent%20didnt%20see%20young%20witch.png?m

Just tried to bump this thread at getsatisfaction, but I can't log in there. Says they've emailed me a verification code, but my inbox disagrees.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Young Witch on the second page
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:31 am »

Instead of bumping the thread, you should create a new one with those screen captures, I think. To be honest, I think that is messed up. Already, it is messed up that an 11th card is on the next page. But, having an opponent miss YW isn't cool because it costs $4.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:29:10 am »

Well either way I have not had success logging on to getsatisfaction, so...yeah

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:55:52 am »
+1

I posted it there

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:14 am »

I have now been able to log on...through facebook ::)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:03:56 am »

Well, technically there's nothing wrong about YW being on the second page, but yeah, it's somewhat... inconvenient. The issue is not really about Young Witch, it's about sorting kingdom cards by their cost, no matter what.

I suppose it would be quite simple to always put the bane card to the second page, but I don't really see a big problem with the way it is now. With all those additional supply and non-supply piles existing today (especially after Dark Ages), a second page is actually quite common and you get used to it very quickly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:04:57 am by kn1tt3r »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:44 am »
+1

The bane on the second page would be worse than YW, in my opinion.  That big fancy bane graphic is what catches my eye immediately and alerts me that there is a YW and an 11th card.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:56 am »
+1

Is having two pages really that big of a problem?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35:28 am »
+2

having two pages is not the problem. The problem is autoplay syndrome. You are so used to playing with 10 cards, that it sometimes slips past you that this time there is an 11th card.

I think the problem could be solved if at hte beginnig a little animation would show the 2nd page with all the content. So you are informed that this game you have additional cards. that would solve most situations.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:38 am »

I think the problem could be solved if at hte beginnig a little animation would show the 2nd page with all the content. So you are informed that this game you have additional cards. that would solve most situations.
nice idea ! Showing all the card on a popup at the start of the game with the "ok" button on the second page solves the "non problem"

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 10:32:15 am »
+3

Two pages is a problem if you know you can do it with one.
Just collapse the card images or something.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
+2

What is very annoying, though, is that if you want to buy a card on the second page, it flips back to the first both after you first click "play treasures", and after each subsequent purchase (which makes, say, emptying the ruins pile quite a hassle).

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

It's not like we're trying to fit just one more card.  You need to be able to fit

10 - Kingdom Cards
3 - Copper/Silver/Gold
3 - Estate/Duchy/Province
1 - Curse
2 - Colony/Platinum
1 - Potion
1 - YW's Bane
5 - Prizes
1 - Ruins
1 - Spoils
1 - Madman
1 - Mercenary

Currently those latter ten cards go onto a second page (well, it's not necessarily the bane itself, but you know).  So they currently have things set up so that it will just barely never spill onto a third page.  That sounds like better design than we generally give them credit for. 

Now let's sit back and watch Guilds causes spillage to the third page.

On the other hand, there are still plenty of things to make the two page system -- which I think is a reasonable model -- more user friendly.
Well you *do* need a signature...

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:55 am »
+4

It's not like we're trying to fit just one more card.
Prizes, Spoils, Madman and Mercenary can be on the second page. They are not in the Supply. Important thing is to fit all Supply piles on the first page (because they can trigger game ending). So the only thing that needs to be added is bane and Ruins.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:43 pm »

What is very annoying, though, is that if you want to buy a card on the second page, it flips back to the first both after you first click "play treasures", and after each subsequent purchase (which makes, say, emptying the ruins pile quite a hassle).

Ugh, yeah. Once Peddler was on the second page for me, and I had a bunch of buys, and I clicked twice on the "buy peddler" button... but it flipped pages between my two clicks and so I accidentally spent $3 on something I completely didn't need.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »

It is your duty to overcome autoplay syndrome. Dont blame it on goko.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »

It's not like we're trying to fit just one more card.  You need to be able to fit

10 - Kingdom Cards
3 - Copper/Silver/Gold
3 - Estate/Duchy/Province
1 - Curse
2 - Colony/Platinum
1 - Potion
1 - YW's Bane
5 - Prizes
1 - Ruins
1 - Spoils
1 - Madman
1 - Mercenary

Currently those latter ten cards go onto a second page (well, it's not necessarily the bane itself, but you know).  So they currently have things set up so that it will just barely never spill onto a third page.  That sounds like better design than we generally give them credit for. 

Now let's sit back and watch Guilds causes spillage to the third page.

On the other hand, there are still plenty of things to make the two page system -- which I think is a reasonable model -- more user friendly.

Guilds doesn't have anything other than kingdom cards, so unless one of them adds an extra pile like YW (which I doubt), it's not going to.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:43 pm »
+14

I find this attitude really unfortunate. I've talked about this before, but part of good UI design is making it so that users are actively discouraged (whether consciously or unconsciously) from making mistakes. This is why the community pushed hard for an undo button with playing treasures on iso. It's why we clamored to not autoplay coppers when you can buy a GM. It's why we pushed Goko to visually distinguish between trashing, discarding, and playing, and why we requested more descriptive buttons than "Done."

In this case, there's several mistakes that occur relatively often because of the way the UI is structured. It could be fixed by putting all the supply piles (so not Madmen, Spoils, Prizes, etc.) on one page. Since part of Goko's pitch was to play anywhere, on any size screen, resizing the icons to fit an extra two piles (the bane and ruins) should be extremely easy for their system.

Saying that Goko should fix their interface doesn't absolve players from autoplay syndrome—you can't claim autoplay as an excuse to replay the game in a tournament, and for good reason—but it does show that Goko is providing a subpar product that they should have the capacity to fix. And I for one will keep pushing Goko to do so, because I think this is enough of a play issue to be worth spending coding time on.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:27:01 am »
+1

I find this attitude really unfortunate. I've talked about this before, but part of good UI design is making it so that users are actively discouraged (whether consciously or unconsciously) from making mistakes. This is why the community pushed hard for an undo button with playing treasures on iso. It's why we clamored to not autoplay coppers when you can buy a GM. It's why we pushed Goko to visually distinguish between trashing, discarding, and playing, and why we requested more descriptive buttons than "Done."

In this case, there's several mistakes that occur relatively often because of the way the UI is structured. It could be fixed by putting all the supply piles (so not Madmen, Spoils, Prizes, etc.) on one page. Since part of Goko's pitch was to play anywhere, on any size screen, resizing the icons to fit an extra two piles (the bane and ruins) should be extremely easy for their system.

Saying that Goko should fix their interface doesn't absolve players from autoplay syndrome—you can't claim autoplay as an excuse to replay the game in a tournament, and for good reason—but it does show that Goko is providing a subpar product that they should have the capacity to fix. And I for one will keep pushing Goko to do so, because I think this is enough of a play issue to be worth spending coding time on.

I agree with everything you just said. There is no reason why we should settle for a subpar product.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:30:52 am »

Then dont play Goko. What good will it do? I think its time to accept that Iso is gone.

Mad, I tell you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:15 am »
+3

Then dont play Goko. What good will it do? I think its time to accept that Iso is gone.

iso was only brought up in this thread as an example of when the community pushed for better UI.  This was not an "I wish we still had iso" thread.  The whole point of this thread is that Goko is what we have, so we should push for it to be the best it can be.  And that includes better UI.  The community pushed for iso to have better UI and dougz kindly obliged; why shouldn't we push for Goko to do better and expect them to respond?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:18 am »

eHal, do you really think that Goko is going to fix the second-page thing? How would they do that? Re-size the screen?

Mad, I tell you.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 02:50:45 am »

eHal, do you really think that Goko is going to fix the second-page thing? How would they do that? Re-size the screen?
resize the images?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:03 am »

resize the images?
Small images. VERY small.

Mad, I tell you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:11 am »
+2

resize the images?
Small images. VERY small.

As someone (Davio?) pointed out, their platform should already be designed to have resizeable images, to accommodate different screen sizes. Squeezing an extra 2 cards should be doable. In fact, I remember seeing a mockup that did it.

But even if they couldn't do it, an opening animation (as suggested earlier in this thread) would be helpful.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.