Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who all is interested in this?  (Read 5622 times)

AdamH

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Who all is interested in this?
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »
+1

Hi.

Well the last 18 hours have been eventful for Power Grid Strategy. It's gone from less than idea into what it is now, which isn't much but it's a platform where it can grow as tall as we make it... and apparently I'm in charge of it... 0_o

There's plenty of stuff I think I can contribute, but if this is just a knowledge dump of everything I think I know, that's not going to be very spectacular at all, especially compared to what the DS community is. Judging by the number of people I saw who mentioned Power Grid in the BGS intro thread, there is a good amount of interest.

I want to use the community we have for this, and I want to grow that community if we can. So what am I asking of you?

If you are interested in reading what gets posted here, let me know. Yeah I know you just want to lurk and read, but I'm learning too -- this thing is going to be way better (and you're going to get more out of it) if you can give me some feedback, even if you have nothing more to contribute than "I'm reading this."

If you are interested in providing feedback on what gets posted here, even if you don't know anything about Power Grid, let me know. No article I write should be inaccessible to you if you understand half the rules of Power Grid. I want to hear what you have to say, so say it!

If you are interested in contributing content to what gets posted here, let me know. If that means you provide feedback on an article, great. If it means you have an idea for an article or questions you want answered, great. If it means you want to take on writing an article, great.

Anyways, thanks for reading this far, and I hope you continue to read and be involved.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: Who all is interested in this?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:50 am »
+1

I'm reading this.

But seriously, I've only played maybe 10-15 games of Power Grid, but I enjoy it a lot.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:24:02 am »
+1

Reading and interested, though I play Power Grid way less often than I'd prefer to - it's not easy to find enough time and people for this game.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:54 am »
+1

Reading, and I'd be interested in contributing, but I doubt I know enough.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:07 am »
+1

I'm reading when I can. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:27 am »

Thanks for letting me know. I hope you are enjoying the content I'm putting up -- Please don't be afraid to give some feedback, even if you're not sure about the actual content I'm putting up. I know I'm not the best writer in the world and some things might not be very clear.

The view counts are pretty good, but people aren't saying much, so it makes me wonder about the success of "building a community" if I feel like I'm just talking to myself (and theory!) I'm still not sure about how many people are really interested in this.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »
+1

I'm interested, but I get very few chances to play (I don't own the game, and Dominion usually takes priority at game nights).  I won't be able to contribute much, but I'm interested in learning more about the strategy.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »
+1

I'm reading and interested. I've wanted to try Power Grid for a while, and I'm hoping that your intro video etc. will help my gaming group agree that it's worth playing.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:21:43 pm »
+1

I'm in the same boat as math.  Love Power Grid, but haven't played it nearly enough.  Hard to get 4+ people together for a lengthy game sometimes.  Loving the content so far though!

LD500

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 09:09:38 am »
+4

Your Power Grid threads are excellent and I read and re-read them often.  I don't post anything because I'm really new at the game (only 5 as of today, and only two and three player games.)  After my games I come back to read these again, because every game I play gives me more of a feeling of "Oh yeah, now I see what he means."  You can be sure your writings are well appreciated and not collecting dust. The view counter doesn't include many of my views because lately I've just copied and pasted these threads into WORD and they are handy bedtime reading.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »

I'm reading this, but I think sometimes people focus on "advanced" strategy and aren't giving us the basics.

On an unrelated note, anybody interested in critiquing my play-so-far in a PBF power grid game held on this very forum?

AdamH

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »

So this article (published here aims to cover some of the introductory concepts I think you want. If there's something in the article that doesn't make sense or feels incomplete, let me know.

As for the PBF game, well I actually haven't played Power Grid in a really long time so I don't know how helpful my advice would be :-\ I may give it a whirl if I get some time though. Thanks for reading!

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:11 pm »
+1

I play Power Grid once every 2-3 weeks probably. Can hold my own against other very good players. Still learning some of the more advanced stuff like when to trigger step 2 and when to stay back. But I can certainly tell a good plant from a crap one. Just played China map for the first time yesterday. probably more brutal in Power Grid with the rule set for this map. i.e. first 30 plants come out in order, expensive resources (generally). Not a map to introduce someone to the game with. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.