Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Swedish tournament at Gothcon  (Read 1567 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
Swedish tournament at Gothcon
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »
+1

During Easter there was a Dominion tournament at Gothcon in Sweden. It was four-player games, and this was the board at the final table:

Nobles,
Tactician, Festival, Rabble,
Procession, Marauder,
Hermit, Market Square, Steward,
Hamlet

(Province game with Estates.)

Maybe you want to ponder how to play this board. There was a very clear winner who dominated the game.
Afterwards I thought that might have been Lekkit, but I didn't ask.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish tournament at Gothcon
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »

Well, the obvious thing to do here is the Hermit/Market Square combo (http://dominionstrategy.com/2013/02/11/combo-of-the-day-30-hermitmarket-square/ ). I bet that would be dominant in 2p.

The second thing is how amazing Procession is here - there's good stuff at all price points, $2-$6.

Double-tactician seems unviable, with Festival and Steward as the only virtual coins but Market Square as a great source of real money and with Rabble and Nobles for reasonable draw.

Big money + X entirely unviable , at least a priori.

In 4-player, a lot depends on your opponents. If your opponents go for marauders and then start building up a conventional engine, then Hermit/Market Square will just win formulaically, I bet.

If your opponents pick up multiple hermits and market squares, then the combo won't work; on the other hand, that means that two piles will be empty really early, so you probably have to pull the trigger early and buy up like Estates or something? Man, I don't know anything about hermit/market square other than theorycraft, I don't know how well it works if you pull the trigger early, can you get enough Hermit Plays/buys to buy up 8 estates and end the game the second the Hermit/Market Square piles are gone?

The other thing to do is to go for a more standard engine, with Procession to turbocharge it. I think that would work - but again, if there's competition for engine components, then piles empty lightning-fast, and its a question of whose half-baked engine is more effective when unfinished...

Man, the 4p makes it hard. I know what I'd do in 2p, but I just don't have an intuition for what piles are going to be gone and how well these different strategies work when they don't have time to go to completion and have to fire while engine-building.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »

Steward-Big Money is pretty good; in a 4-player game I'd probably just go for that, snagging a few market squares if a certain combo needs to be stopped, and probably tossing in a festival or two.

luliin

• 2013 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »
+1

There was a very clear winner who dominated the game.
Afterwards I thought that might have been Lekkit, but I didn't ask.

It sure was Lekkit.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

I'd open Marauder - Hermit.  Hermit will trash your junk, and Marauder should slow down your opponents.  If an opponent tries for Hermit - MS, gain a few MS, other wise just gain silver every time.
A man on a mission.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:38:06 am »

The main issue here is not so much the board, but the fact that it's 4 player.

So if you want to play a big engine, you'll have half the components available, that's a big hurt. There are only 2.5 Action cards per person. So say goodbye to your big Hermit/Market Square combo, especially because MS is versatile enough here that others might want to pick them up.

With 4p, money-based strategies are always decent, just because it's hard to pull off megaturns when your deck has so much junk and so little good cards. Also, the game might be over before you realize it. You're chugging away at Festivals and Rabbles and oops! Ruins, Market Squares and Nobles are gone!

Tactician would be a priority for me here, just because it's so darn hard to pull off anything decent. It's also a big risk. Play it near the end with 3 Duchies left and they might all be gone when it comes back around. Madmen as a one-shot in-hand Tactician is also nice and Market Square can provide the usually missing +Buy for it.

So, some sort of Hermit/Market Square/Madmen combination is certainly decent, but don't expect the same wonders as you can pull off in 2p. You have to dip for Nobles/Duchies earlier than you would be comfortable doing in 2p, just because the game is over so quickly and you need those points, baby.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.