Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Introduction, Sign-ups, etc:  (Read 24115 times)

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction, Sign-ups, etc:
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:52 am »

Less time-consuming.
Most popular by games run seem to be 7 Wonders and Resistance.  Through the Ages and Terra Mystica are popular, but moved off-site.

They're pretty straightforward playing, so I don't think there's really a need to acquaint yourself with them.

This is usually the thread where we organize games, sign-ups/confirmations happen in the thread for the game.  Sometimes someone posts a game without suggesting it here first, in which case you can watch for sign-up posts in the Forum Games area.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2014, 09:48:50 am »

More specific questions/musings;

Are these more or less time consuming(per day)?
What are some of the most popular?
I like mafia, I like games like civ and diplomacy and d&d.
Are there threads I should read to get aquainted?
Am I posting in the right place to sign up?

Per day, usually less than 5 minutes per game.
Nothing is really most popular, lots of one-off games, though quite a few 2 player games of Tash Kalar.
No real threads you need to read, though maybe look at some of the game threads; and for signing up, just watch for sign up threads.

Note that there has been a slowdown in games recently; I'm not entirely certain why.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:32 am »

Looking at the player interest section I'm down for seven wonders, resistance, and through the ages.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2014, 02:44:52 pm »

Looking at the player interest section I'm down for seven wonders, resistance, and through the ages.

Check out the tta thread in the other board games section.

If you're comfortable with the game, using the interface at boardgaming-online.com should be no problem at all.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »

I think there's probably interest for more 7 Wonders by the looks of things, anyone want to host?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:14 am »

I'd like to host a game of Coup or Bang!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:19 am »

What are these?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2014, 01:40:49 pm »

I love coup, play it all the time IRL. I've thought about it as a forum game before but I don't see how it could work well unless everyone was on at the same time and played an entire game in one sitting. How much time will you give to people to react to actions?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »

I love coup, play it all the time IRL. I've thought about it as a forum game before but I don't see how it could work well unless everyone was on at the same time and played an entire game in one sitting. How much time will you give to people to react to actions?
Why would it have to be in one sitting?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2014, 04:47:27 pm »

Coup's been played here before:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8713.0
It looks like the consensus was that it's still difficult in PBF since every time you claim a role you have to wait for everyone else to have the chance to call bull.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2014, 08:10:19 pm »

Coup's been played here before:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8713.0
It looks like the consensus was that it's still difficult in PBF since every time you claim a role you have to wait for everyone else to have the chance to call bull.

Yeah, this is the reason. There are so many opportunities for people to call others out and you need an adequate window of time for everyone to have a chance. It seems like it'd take so long to get anything done.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:08 pm »

Alright then...how about Bang!? Or maybe Love Letter?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:42 am »

Alright then...how about Bang!? Or maybe Love Letter?

I'd probably play Bang. I haven't played Love Letter, but I might give it a try if it's on offer.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:18 am »

Love Letter has been played here before too, but IIRC it went fine, so no reason not to play it again.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2014, 08:37:27 pm »

Love letter and Coup never really seemed like good forum game fits to me. They're too light and interactive - each player's decisions on each turn are too small and rapid paced for the amount of depth the game offers. Coup is especially bad, since you need to often be around to do things or not on just about every other player's turn, meaning to go around the table once everyone needs to check in 4-5 times. Love Letter is just not deep enough of a game to work that well.

Bang I've not played. I've played Samurai Showdown, which I believe is based on the game, and that seemed like it'd work fine. There's a few small issues in things like you'll often be drawing cards on your turn, and need to wait for players to react to your actions, although I don't know if either of those are issues in the original (Bang) game.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »

Years ago, I played a lot of Bang.  More recently, I've played a lot of San Guo Sha, which started off as a Chinese re-themed rip-off of Bang but has since taken on a life of its own.  Still very similar though.

I don't think Bang would work well as a forum game.  It has a deck from which cards are drawn and its also highly interactive.  The former means that a lot more moderation is needed.  The latter means that there is a lot of down time if players aren't online at the same time.  You'd have to wait after every Bang! to see if the target player has a Missed!  It might work, but I think it would drag far too long.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2014, 10:10:54 am »

So I just got Canterbury for my birthday and I played it for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  I was thinking this game would work perfectly in a play-by-spreadsheet format.  I'd like to make the spreadsheet, but it could be a while before I get around to having the time.  Anyone interested in playing?  Should I even start thinking about making a sheet?

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »

So I just got Canterbury for my birthday and I played it for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  I was thinking this game would work perfectly in a play-by-spreadsheet format.  I'd like to make the spreadsheet, but it could be a while before I get around to having the time.  Anyone interested in playing?  Should I even start thinking about making a sheet?
I would join a game.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:49 pm »

Looks fun, I'd play. :)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:54 am »

Alright, since there's absolutely no randomness I can play too.  I'll start working on a spreadsheet, but don't expect it to be ready super soon...

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2014, 04:11:42 pm »

I've spent the last week designing a board game and creating a playable prototype. I just played it for the first time tonight and our group loved it! This is the first game design that I've been excited enough about to take this far in the design process. I'm just so happy right now because everyone genuinely loved it (and made excellent suggestions for improvement) and there is like no better validation than someone enjoying something you created. :) :) :)

By the way, the game is called Apprentice and I'm hoping to run it as a forum game after I get a bit more playtesting in. Hopefully within a couple weeks!

Can you say what kind of game it is?

Sure, it's a resource collection game in which the actions you can take are determined by a moving/blocking game on a grid of building tiles.

The actions you can take grow stronger-and more expensive-the more times you use a certain building. It makes for very simple decisions at the start but very tough ones towards the end. And the options you have at the end are heavily influenced by the ones you take at the start. Overall I was thrilled by how well the game "worked" the first time.

I've playtested this a bit more and I want to open it up to playing/testing by forumers. I put together a spreadsheet so it's ready to play! I think I'll write an introductory post and open it up today.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2014, 11:24:42 am »

I'm modding a game: Forum Survivor Season 2 We're hoping to start as soon as tomorrow (Wednesday September 24, 2014) and we need at least one more person to join to make the game happen.

If you're at all into forum games I'd highly recommend at least checking it out, even if you aren't a fan of the show Survivor (many people participating have never seen an episode  of the show and don't really know what they're getting themselves into, which is totally fine! I don't really think it's a significant disadvantage.)

More details about the game are in the OP of the thread. Come join us!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »

I'm modding a game: Forum Survivor Season 3.  I'm hoping to start this September 30, but we need a few more people to join in order for that to work.

I could write my own ad for the game here, but Adam said pretty much everything I want to say about it in the post right above this
I'm modding a game: Forum Survivor Season 2 We're hoping to start as soon as tomorrow (Wednesday September 24, 2014) and we need at least one more person to join to make the game happen.

If you're at all into forum games I'd highly recommend at least checking it out, even if you aren't a fan of the show Survivor (many people participating have never seen an episode  of the show and don't really know what they're getting themselves into, which is totally fine! I don't really think it's a significant disadvantage.)

More details about the game are in the OP of the thread. Come join us!

What's going to be new this season?  Come join us to find out!  I can tell you it will be fun
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.