Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Introduction, Sign-ups, etc:  (Read 24107 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction, Sign-ups, etc:
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »

What if I ran 18AL with something like this for the map? (Note: I'd still need to put in a good bit more work, but I was proof-of-concepting it)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQW2_nUk_nKdHlHVGJJR0ppZUNRVzg1emhpRnBWRUE&usp=sharing

Hmm, I think I once played an 18xx game at some point. I recall those tiles.

I may give it a shot, but I'd have to digest the rules first. I barely remember anything about the game.

Also, welcome back, Volt.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »

Hi folks.

I'm trying to ease my way back into this - see the "where we talk when it's night" thread for any "where ya been" queries - and am pretty confident with dipping my toe back in the waters with:

Interested to join any 7 Wonders game

Thanks!

We should start a new one.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2013, 12:02:12 am »

Hi folks.

I'm trying to ease my way back into this - see the "where we talk when it's night" thread for any "where ya been" queries - and am pretty confident with dipping my toe back in the waters with:

Interested to join any 7 Wonders game

Thanks!

We should start a new one.

/in

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2013, 02:31:35 am »

I have to say... playing 7W... twice? Three times? Now... I just don't have the mental energy to play it on the forums. It's essentially like playing all players at once, with slightly limited information - that is you can't control what others get in hands before your own. But it boils down to running the numbers on what you've seen, what's left, what each person has (after you, of course), and what the optimal play for all players on any given turn is.

I dunno. Just seems like a game that in many ways is broken by the addition of Excel (or good bookkeeping). I think I would enjoy it much more in person where tracking is a little more difficult.

It's like Dominion with a deck tracker / point tracker that's public to both sides. Couldyou do it face to face? Sure. But it's a lot less likely.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:04 am »

I prefer to play 7 Wonders IRL (if everyone has played before), but I like the game enough to play online. I agree it can be a lot more math-y since you're able to calculate the best possible card in your hand, but I don't really do that anyway. Just like I don't use the Dominion Extension. It ruins the fun of 'Ooooh did I pass that card along? Is there still a Cog in circulation?'. It may not be optimal, but it's still fun. So I'll probably /in to whatever the next 7W game is.

Also, did anyone hear that their is going to be another 7 Wonders expansion? I wonder what design space hasn't been explored yet.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:57 am »

Their is the wrong there somewhere in they're.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2013, 07:36:28 am »

7 wonders: the catapult?
Seriously, is gonna be about ships as far as I heard.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:32 am »

7 wonders plays very differently with a small group of players.  Like 3 or 4.  If all you guys have had so far are 7- and 8-person games, and players like Galz are feeling a bit burned out on it, I'd suggest a 3- or 4-person game for a significantly altered experience.  The fact that the hands you see will come back to you opens up a new dimension to game strategy, among other things.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

7 wonders: the catapult?
Seriously, is gonna be about ships as far as I heard.

The ones I think are in the works are Armada and Babel. I heard Babel is some sort of community wonder (coop mechanic?) and I imagine Armada adds interaction with non-neighbours.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:13 pm »

7 wonders plays very differently with a small group of players.  Like 3 or 4.  If all you guys have had so far are 7- and 8-person games, and players like Galz are feeling a bit burned out on it, I'd suggest a 3- or 4-person game for a significantly altered experience.  The fact that the hands you see will come back to you opens up a new dimension to game strategy, among other things.
This.  I'm with Galz that I think it is better in person, but also the only game I played on here was a 7 player game, and I really didn't like it that much.  I much prefer 3-4.  It feels more like Dominion because there are different wonders in play (not always all 7) so sometimes you have to watch what you discard, sometimes you don't (I'm looking at you Halicarnosos).  When I played on here, I didn't do any bookeeping or tracking or anything.  I did what I do IRL, worry more about myself and what I have in my hand at that moment.  A little of looking to who I'm passing to, but that's as far as I looked.  Now this resulted in me getting crushed, but such is life.  I'd be interested in maybe playing a small 4 player game, but if we play 7, I'll opt out.  I also have never played with the expansions, and I have not heard many good things, so I'd prefer just base 7W...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »

This.  I'm with Galz that I think it is better in person, but also the only game I played on here was a 7 player game, and I really didn't like it that much.  I much prefer 3-4.  It feels more like Dominion because there are different wonders in play (not always all 7) so sometimes you have to watch what you discard, sometimes you don't (I'm looking at you Halicarnosos).  When I played on here, I didn't do any bookeeping or tracking or anything.  I did what I do IRL, worry more about myself and what I have in my hand at that moment.  A little of looking to who I'm passing to, but that's as far as I looked.  Now this resulted in me getting crushed, but such is life.  I'd be interested in maybe playing a small 4 player game, but if we play 7, I'll opt out.  I also have never played with the expansions, and I have not heard many good things, so I'd prefer just base 7W...

Whaaat?  I love Leaders and I think Cities is just fine.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »

Some people on BoardGameGeek denounce Leaders as making the game swingier.  I (1) disagree, and (2) don't care even if it's true - they add too much fun to the game.

That said, I can see someone not wanting to play Leaders/Cities if they're unfamiliar with them.  I enjoy playing with no expansions, either, or both of those expansions.

I also enjoy the Wonder Pack.  Great Wall!  Stonehenge!  Abu Simbel!  And everyone's favorite:  Manneken Pis.  Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »

Leaders can be a bit confusing, but Cities is fairly straight forward.  Unfortunately several friends of mine did not like Cities the first (and so far only, I think) time we used it because they felt suffocated by the debt tokens.  I think the random shuffle ended up putting every debt card into the game, and Petra and Catan as well.  Next time I should remind them that they could always just take -VP.  When someone builds a debt card, just imagine that they built a card worth extra VP and it also gives everyone else a chance to earn a few VP by paying money.  Debt can feel harsher than it really is because of loss aversion.

I have the wonder pack but haven't gotten to try any of them yet.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:09 pm »

The Great Wall is terrific fun.  The gimmick is that you don't have to build stages in order, so you can build whatever benefits you the most at the time.  The drawback is that none of the stages give you VP, so you have to leverage the advantages it offers to make best use of it.  A side has more raw power but demands more resources.  B side is tricksier in that regard and easier to build the whole thing. 

Abu Simbel is a neat mechanic but also pretty straightforward.  It lets you "bury" one or two of your previously played Leaders.  A buried Leader no longer has its effect, but gives you VP equal to double its coin cost.  Great for Leaders that give some benefit over the course of the game (like Bilkis or Archimedes) but no VP on their own; bury them at the end for beaucoup points.

Stonehenge is weird.  Each side has a stage that gives you VP (and, on the B side, coin) for every Stone you have on brown cards.  But Stone doesn't help you build any of the wonder stages.  So it feels like you need EVERYTHING - and if you get Stone-screwed it can feel pointless to build the wonder.  Stonehenge A in particular is very similar to Gizah (just raw VP with the Stone gimmick).  Stonehenge B has a neat last stage which is basically "make your own Guild" - you get 1 VP for every card your neighbors built, of the color you use to build the wonder stage.  But overall the wonder is funky and my fellow players dislike it.  I like a challenge, so I enjoy it; I've had good results pursuing a resource-heavy strategy (not just Stone, but everything on brown) to get monopolies and force everyone to buy from me.

Finally, Manneken Pis.  The A side copies your neighbors' wonder stages.  The B side is just one stage, that costs one of everything to build, but coughs up 7 VP, $7, and a shield.  I don't get to play it much because my players enjoy using it too much.  :)

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

I prefer Cities to Leaders because the Leaders really mix up the balance of the game. Some people like to have swingy games, and I do too, but not in 7 Wonders. But I'll play with them anyway. I like cities because of the universal effect of the debt cards. Diplomacy is also fun and the masks are interesting.

I've only tried the basic wonders. I have drooled over the ones from the Wonder Pack, however. Especially the Great Wall. Very versatile!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »

That would explain it :P I probably heard it from BGG.  I suppose I would be willing to try a game with 1 of the expansions (2 might be too much to learn PBF, ar at least at first).  But really, who am I kidding, I don't want to get into another game that makes me spend too much money...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »

I would be willing to host a game of 7 Wonders for fewer players, and perhaps make some form of card tracking spreadsheet for players to use to hopefully make card tracking easier (I'd have to see if my time allowed that). Most likely 3-4 players? Maybe even two games, it's not too hard to mod once the game is in swing after all.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:30 am »

I would be willing to host a game of 7 Wonders for fewer players, and perhaps make some form of card tracking spreadsheet for players to use to hopefully make card tracking easier (I'd have to see if my time allowed that). Most likely 3-4 players? Maybe even two games, it's not too hard to mod once the game is in swing after all.

/in

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:55 am »

/in

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

I'll open signups then.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

tolenmar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2014, 10:09:20 am »

I've been a member here at f.DS for several months now, and for some reason ignored the games forum because I thought they were all of them just some variant of Werewolf...Shoulda checked the non-mafia section at least once by now.

But, I have now corrected that mistake and here I am!  It is so cool that this is here. I was going to set up for some friends of mine a few PbP games, even got as far as setting up a forum to do it on, and then it died from lack of interest.  So I went looking for a place to join of the games I was going to mod.  I wound up here, too cool.

Ok, enough with the hyperbole.  I would like to play a game.  I have several here at the house, but came specifically looking for Battlestar Galactica. <===this is currently my first choice

I would also like to play Twilight Imperium 3, if someone figured out a way to mod it.
I'm also up for The Resistance, Long Live the King, and Settlers of Catan (again, assuming someone could Mod them).

Actually, I would be up for anything, but I don't own most games, so I would need access to rules before I comitted (which is easy, since most places post pdf's of their rulebooks as a way to lure in fence-sitters)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2014, 02:22:39 pm »

So I got the Village for christmas, and while I have played 3 or 4 games of it, I don't really know what I'm doing and haven't won yet :P  Anyways, it's not terribly complex, there is not much hidden information.  In fact, there really isn't any.  So I'm thinking it could be easily done in a PBF format, and I think the moderator could even play, assuming you guys would trust that they would put the cubes on the spaces using a RNG and was truthful about it.  Anyone interested in playing it?  Looking for 3-4 people.

Rules

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »

What are these non-mafia games and should I be playing them?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2014, 01:06:20 am »

What are these non-mafia games and should I be playing them?
If you like board games and don't mind playing a game that lasts for several weeks, then yes you should play them :)

We discussed a similar question in this thread
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10171.msg332808#msg332808

Generally any game could be a realized as a forum game (edge case: Space Alert), so if you have a game that you would like to play, suggest it, perhaps you can find someone to moderate it. What works better are games that don't require a lot of interaction during other players turn.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2014, 09:33:00 am »

More specific questions/musings;

Are these more or less time consuming(per day)?
What are some of the most popular?
I like mafia, I like games like civ and diplomacy and d&d.
Are there threads I should read to get aquainted?
Am I posting in the right place to sign up?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.