Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: April Fools Guilds card list  (Read 4578 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
April Fools Guilds card list
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:01 pm »

This is a follow-up to this thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7651.0
I designed the fake listing in there my self, and wanted to share some thoughts on them.

I had the idea for a fake listing for a while, but ended up just creating it in about 2 hours on March 31st. if I'd had more time, I'd probably have noticed that Guild Master and Turnpike +2$ are nearly strictly worse than Rabble and Duchy. those were cards I just threw in in the end because I needed an attack and a victory card. In fact, I had  Guild master looking at 5 cards at first, but thought that would be way too strong. I think I overestimated the possibility of clogging the top of the deck with terminals. Also I'd probably thought of a really cool card, because my set doesn't really have a highlight.
I'm not really sold on Gypsys camp being too weak. for sure, it isn't a power 3, but I don't think it would be the worst 3 ever, since there are some really crappy 3s.

I know lots of people believe that paying effects will be only on buy. When I designed this, i deliberately did it differently. I think on-buy-effects only would be to oring and we already have them in Hinterlands. I hope the real thing will be closer to my idea.

I originally planned to post this on reddit first, because all leaks seem to appear there first, but somehow I'm to stupid to make that site show my posts.

Thanks to everyone who commented on it, especially to AdamH (I seriously thought you believed what you said for a while)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools Guilds card list
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:47 pm »

I know lots of people believe that paying effects will be only on buy. When I designed this, i deliberately did it differently. I think on-buy-effects only would be to oring and we already have them in Hinterlands. I hope the real thing will be closer to my idea.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've just realized we have some (non-conclusive!) evidence that the effects will indeed be triggered when you buy the cards. Details are in this thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7685

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3881
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »

I designed the fake listing in there my self

FINALLY some ACTUAL evidence that the listing was fake!

Thanks to everyone who commented on it, especially to AdamH (I seriously thought you believed what you said for a while)

I never said I believed it was real, I just said I wasn't convinced it was fake because of a lack of evidence. TBH, I'd still feel a little better if we had confirmation from someone like DXV that it's fake, but that's probably asking too much. Let's be honest: any time Donald X recognizes my presence, well, you've seen the video. (how long until that shows up in the out-of-context thread?)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:35:06 pm »
+2

I'm not really sure why, but I made images for all the fake April Fool cards. I'm not going to leave them up indefinitely, so if you want to try the cards, get them while they last.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11917257#11917257

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:39:18 pm »

I wanna point out that those haven't been playtested at all and the design goal was merely that they wouldn't be immediately recognized as fake. there are probably much better fan cards to print out if you want to. Anyway, thx to you LastFootnote.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »

I wanna point out that those haven't been playtested at all and the design goal was merely that they wouldn't be immediately recognized as fake. there are probably much better fan cards to print out if you want to. Anyway, thx to you LastFootnote.

No problem. There was clearly some demand for it. If nothing else, it might be cool to playtest them to see how close to balanced they are and how much a coin token is really worth, in advance of Guilds's actual release.

Also, it was an excuse to find more art! I now have new art options for a couple of my own cards.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:45:07 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »
+1

I think Resale is probably the most likely of these cards to be in Guilds, though probably under a different name.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:22:06 pm »

I think it's gypsy camp. (why did you rename that one, btw?)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »
+1

Possibly because Gypsy is considered a derogatory term for the Romani by some?
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 05:31:57 pm »

Bingo.

The more generic term for the card would be Nomad Camp, but that's taken.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »
+1

I'm not really sure why, but I made images for all the fake April Fool cards. I'm not going to leave them up indefinitely, so if you want to try the cards, get them while they last.

You used the same Carpenter image as I did for that card in the mini-set design contest (which, incidentally, still has a bunch of cards that are not mocked up). :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:47:58 pm by eHalcyon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12881
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »

Though considering "gypsy" derogatory for the Romani is derogatory for the Egyptians.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »
+1

Though considering "gypsy" derogatory for the Romani is derogatory for the Egyptians.

It's not my place to say what an Egyptian individual should or should not deem derogatory.  However, the use of the term gypsy is not usually considered derogatory simply for being genealogically inaccurate, and certainly not because the comparison with Egyptians is deemed unsavory.  You should look into the persecution that the Romani people have faced and continue to face.  At new years I visited a young Romani couple I know in France, and it is appalling the insitutionalized discrimination that they face.  Despite being from an EU nation, there is a short list of something like 100 or 200 occupations that they are legally allowed to hold in France -- essentially something highly skilled like a doctor or lawyer, or professions generally looked down on like construction or custodial work.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:20:22 am »

You used the same Carpenter image as I did for that card in the mini-set design contest (which, incidentally, still has a bunch of cards that are not mocked up). :)

Huh, so I did! That wasn't intentional. It is a very nice image for a card named Carpenter.

As far as the other cards in the mini-set design contest, I think I've had enough of finding art for and mocking up other people's cards for now. Mocking up cards is pretty easy once you have the art, but looking for good art gets really tedious.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.