Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Flute cards revealed  (Read 3920 times)

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Flute cards revealed
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

Here is the second part of Flute's effect:

Draw a 1.  If the card has a bonus, reveal it and then repeat this dogma effect.

When I played this IRL, we always interpreted this to mean ONLY reveal it IF the card has a bonus.

But in the online implementation, it seems every card drawn by flute is revealed.

I asked dougz about this, and he said "how do you know if the card has a bonus or not."  I think this is a valid point if you are drawing echoes cards, and I am fine with all echoes cards being revealed (even if they don't have a bonus).

However, I don't think base cards drawn by flute should EVER be revealed, since it is obvious no base cards have a bonus on them.  I shouldn't know my opponent got the wheel from the "repeat" of this dogma effect.

Thoughts?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Flute cards revealed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

The interpretation you're using IRL is the only correct interpretation.  That's the way it's written.

For dougz to be consistent on this, he'd need to change Oars to have a Cutpurse clause on it.  Or one of the other countless cards in Innovation that blatantly lack a cheat check.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:58:19 pm »

well sure oars is difficult to "cheat-check" IRL (but pretty easy to enforce online), but if you are drawing a brown card with flute, surely it need not be revealed?  It's got a brown back, there is no bonus on it, no need to reveal it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:59:20 pm by ksasaki »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:04:27 pm »

I'm confused.  I don't advocate adding unwritten cheatchecks into the game, I support playing it as written.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »

I'm sorry pops, here let me clarify.

The current situation (as I've observed):

EVERY card that is drawn by flute is public knowledge.  My opponent uses flute, I can see which ECHOES cards he draws (which is fine, so I can see if / if they do not have a bonus), but i can also see which BASE cards he draws.  According to flute's dogma, you should only have to reveal the card IF it has a bonus on it.

I don't think BASE cards should be revealed, it is pretty obvious that BASE cards do not have a bonus; thus, they need not be public knowledge.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:10:25 pm »

There's no need for Chopsticks to become public knowledge either though, because it's an online implementation.  Only the cards with a bonus should be revealed.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »

chopsticks?  do you mean dice?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »

No.  If you activate Flute and draw Chopsticks, you shouldn't reveal the Chopsticks.  The card says to reveal it only if it has a bonus.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »

Yeah that is correct.  Well, I've already tried to petition doug about it, maybe you can give it a whirl, lol.  I'm already very pleased that he has even made a very well-working online implementation of innovation!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.