Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Board Game Strategy  (Read 62356 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Board Game Strategy
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 09:20:03 am »

Mm.  Not sure that passes the "Fluxx" test.
Fluxx test?

Edit: NVM I've got it.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:24 am »

So…have we changed the abbreviation from f.ds to f.bgs?

If you visit the site via boardgamestrategy.net/forum, it will display as the Board Game Strategy Forum.  If you visit via forum.dominionstrategy.com, it will display as the Dominion Strategy Forum.  All the same to me :P

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:13 am »

As it's pretty popular here and has online playing: Through the Ages

I want to second myself, especially after it won mith's "Best Board Game" challenge. Not that I want to write there, I want to read strategy articles. I nominate Watno to write some articles. I think he knows the game pretty decent.  :P

Jack Rudd also started a blog on this, a long time ago.  I would encourage him to restart it (with any assistance) if he wants.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2013, 09:59:41 am »

I think there are some games that deserves strategy articles but not enough to create another website.
For example, 7 Wonders : you can write articles about each wonder, and articles about each color of cards (blue, green, red), I guess some leaders too. And that's enough.
7 Wonders seconded, it's a highly probabilistic game, but that means there's lots of room for strategy to improve your odds.

I like to spread my chances and be able to buy lots of stuff (a broad strategy) but you could also specialize in green or blue and go with a #1 or last (depth) strategy.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:16 pm »
+1

As it's pretty popular here and has online playing: Through the Ages

I want to second myself, especially after it won mith's "Best Board Game" challenge. Not that I want to write there, I want to read strategy articles. I nominate Watno to write some articles. I think he knows the game pretty decent.  :P

Jack Rudd also started a blog on this, a long time ago.  I would encourage him to restart it (with any assistance) if he wants.
Ah yes, the blog I started at http://throughtheagesstrategy.wordpress.com/. I'm probably not going to restart it, but feel free to use it as a resource, or lift my articles with proper attribution.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »

I would definitely help with a TtA strategy blog. Maybe try and get people from BGO to share words of wisdom?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
+1

I would like Galz to write an article entitled "How to draw all of the defense cards every single game".

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »

For games that already have established/active communities (like Chess and Magic) would it make any sense to link to them? Something like an "other" page that could have a bunch of links to those other forums/blogs? Then maybe someone who finds bgs.net discovers sites for other board games they hadn't heard about, even if those games aren't really featured by bgs.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »

Nah. Chess forums are about as rare as rocks.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:17 am »

As more non-Dominion boards get added (Innovation, Treasure Hunt, Power Grid) it is a minor nuisance to update my Ignore Board List each time.  Is there any way to set these new boards to Ignore by default?
Well you *do* need a signature...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »
+1

I really don't have the time or patience to helm an entire blog, but if enough people are interested in RftG strategy then I'd happily write some guest articles.

I could probably write one or two articles covering the entirety of San Juan strategy, too.  It wouldn't take very long.  :P
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »
+2

Hmm.

As long as no one objects: theory! I'm interested in running the 7 Wonders strategy blog thing.

I only own the base set (and have played it 20+ times) so I'll only be reviewing those, but if I ever get the expansions, I can cover a few things there too.
I'll take brokoli's advice and write:

- 1 Article for each Wonder
- 1 Article about each of the 3 general strategies (Blue, Red, Green)
- Some General Strategy/Prioritizing Picks/etc.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »

I would like Galz to write an article entitled "How to draw all of the defense cards every single game".

Who? Me? I'm sure I've no idea what you're talking about.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:03 pm »
+1

Hmm.

As long as no one objects: theory! I'm interested in running the 7 Wonders strategy blog thing.

I only own the base set (and have played it 20+ times) so I'll only be reviewing those, but if I ever get the expansions, I can cover a few things there too.

Have you read this?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370/some-complex-strategies-for-7-wonders

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2013, 10:44:10 pm »

Hmm.

Have you read this?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370/some-complex-strategies-for-7-wonders
No, but I don't think I could write anything quite as complete as that.  ;D

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »

Im sure some of the BGG fans could be enticed to switch over to here if we get these up and running. A bit like the Dominion players find this place a lot better...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2013, 06:06:02 pm »
+1

Hmm.

I'd help with 7W. I'm confused by you listing red as a basic strategy - military is never a strategy on it's own, it can only be a complement (assuming you want to win that is). If I had to identify basic strategies in 7 Wonders it'd be more like: Resource heavy (browns leading into red/blue/purple), Resource light (yellows & complement greens with chains), Science (grays leading into green & chains). But really no matter what path you take, there's going to be overlap.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2013, 06:29:36 pm »

I was thinking more of how you'd play each Age with that color, rescources you'd need, but the combination strategies like Red/Green, Trading for rescources, etc. Would be good too.

And of course you could help!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »

The point I'm making is, those colours on their own aren't a single strategy. In particular I think red is something everyone should be considering. I guess if you wanted to you could call the three strategies I listed above "blue" (big resource), "yellow" (small resource (this one doesn't really have a huge economy focus, it's just hard to identify a colour it's really interested in especially) and "green" (science).

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »

I would be super pumped to see a Race for the Galaxy blog pop up here...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 04:04:19 am »
+1

Hmm.

I'd help with 7W. I'm confused by you listing red as a basic strategy - military is never a strategy on it's own, it can only be a complement (assuming you want to win that is). If I had to identify basic strategies in 7 Wonders it'd be more like: Resource heavy (browns leading into red/blue/purple), Resource light (yellows & complement greens with chains), Science (grays leading into green & chains). But really no matter what path you take, there's going to be overlap.
I think it's probably better to generalize some strategies.

A good article would be: Diversify or specialize? With good pros and cons for both.
Diversifying makes sure you have the most options available to you in the later Ages.
Specializing means going full green for instance or trying to build through chaining rather than with the resources.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 09:07:11 pm »

There is actually quite a bit to mine with 7 Wonders particularly with the expansions (Cities is great, Leaders is ok to play but offers additional diversity).

Different ideas for articles other than what has been mentioned include:

- Basic articles for different numbers of player as what's available changes quite a bit and changes the game quite a bit. For example Marketplace-based/Olympia B side strategies are a ton more powerful in 3-player than in larger games where your neighbor has a huge influence.
- Card articles for the Leaders and Cities expansions as those are all unique and not in every game and often change the entire game quite a bit.
- How to best inhibit others strategies without turning your own game into a mess (this happens quite often amongst average players)
- Recognizing when it is best to abandon your wonder and change to another strategy

I would be willing to contribute if this gets started as well.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2013, 10:07:43 pm »

It's currently in the infancy stages. I think Arch and I have been given edit access, but neither of us have done anything on it yet. eHalc is probably the best person at it on this site, I'd say, at least that I've seen.

I'm going to a 7 Wonders tournament in a few weeks (er, if I actually sign up), if I do well in that, then maybe I'll feel I understand the game well enough to write some stuff :P.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2013, 11:13:17 pm »

It's currently in the infancy stages. I think Arch and I have been given edit access, but neither of us have done anything on it yet. eHalc is probably the best person at it on this site, I'd say, at least that I've seen.

I'm going to a 7 Wonders tournament in a few weeks (er, if I actually sign up), if I do well in that, then maybe I'll feel I understand the game well enough to write some stuff :P.

Whoa now, I really doubt it.  I came in like third or fourth in 7WII?  I just wrote a LOT when I was spectating 7WI, that's all.  Does not indicate skill in the slightest!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 12:16:44 am »

Whoa now, I really doubt it.  I came in like third or fourth in 7WII?  I just wrote a LOT when I was spectating 7WI, that's all.  Does not indicate skill in the slightest!
I think you're good enough. I understand the mechanics of the game very well, but when it comes time to play I don't do so hot. So if you want to help out (or anybody, for that matter) just talk to theory, Tables, or myself and you could definitely star writing some articles. Especially those who've played with the expansions/Bonus Boards. I don't know about Tables, but I've personally only used the cards in the expansions a couple times each and have never tried any other board outside of the base 7 ones.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.