Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Native village: can you look at the top card?  (Read 14098 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Native village: can you look at the top card?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »

Seriously guys? It was such a simple question.

Yeah, my subtle way of suggesting this was a bit too subtle it seems! Haha
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 05:56:30 pm »
+2

I came here for an argument.
No you didn't.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
+5

Seriously guys? It was such a simple question.
There are no simple questions, only edge cases.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:19 am »
+5

Yes, it was a very simple question. The answer is no. But here is a much more useful answer, to which all the other answers were alluding:

During a turn of Dominion, you are not allowed to do anything other than play Action cards during your Action Phase (spending an Action to do each, one at a time, precisely and completely following each card's instructions in order before doing anything else), play Treasures during your Buy phase (one at a time, precisely and completely following each card's instructions in order before doing anything else, and only before Buying cards), Buy cards during your Buy phase (spending a Buy and the appropriate number of Coins on each, one at a time, precisely and completely following any on-Buy instructions, and then precisely and completely following any on-Gain instructions), clean up during your Clean-Up Phase and then end your turn, advance to the next phase, or count your deck (only looking at the backs of the cards), unless a card specifically says you can do it. (Obvious non-gamestate-related things like talking and sipping on a beverage of your choice (being careful not to spill any and risk damaging the cards) are allowed, and non-obvious things like keeping track of the score with pen and paper are beyond the scope of this answer but should probably only be done with the permission of all other players.)

This answers the majority of rules questions. Teach a man to fish and all that.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:54 pm »

You forgot reactions.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »

You forgot reactions.

I think that's covered by "unless a card specifically says you can do it."

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »

Yes, I actually had a part about Reactions, but I deleted it when I realised that it was covered.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »

How is there a next phase after cleanup and ending your turn? Is this the scary possession phase?

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:16 pm »

It's a list of all the things you can do. Some of them can only be done during certain phases. Others can be done whenever. "Advance to the next phase" is the action that moves you between phases Action, Buy, and Cleanup. A more explicit wording would be "advance to the buy phase during the action phase, advance to the clean-up phase during the buy phase, or count..."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:39:17 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 03:50:19 pm »

If you count your deck you can't advance to the next phase? I mean, this topic already demonstrated the meaning of 'or'.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

If you count your deck you can't advance to the next phase? I mean, this topic already demonstrated the meaning of 'or'.
No, it's just forbidden to do this at the same time...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 09:40:56 pm »

Read the whole sentence. You are not allowed to do anything other than A, B, C or D.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

Yes, it was a very simple question. The answer is no. But here is a much more useful answer, to which all the other answers were alluding:

During a turn of Dominion, you are not allowed to do anything other than play Action cards during your Action Phase (spending an Action to do each, one at a time, precisely and completely following each card's instructions in order before doing anything else), play Treasures during your Buy phase (one at a time, precisely and completely following each card's instructions in order before doing anything else, and only before Buying cards), Buy cards during your Buy phase (spending a Buy and the appropriate number of Coins on each, one at a time, precisely and completely following any on-Buy instructions, and then precisely and completely following any on-Gain instructions), clean up during your Clean-Up Phase and then end your turn, advance to the next phase, or count your deck (only looking at the backs of the cards), unless a card specifically says you can do it. (Obvious non-gamestate-related things like talking and sipping on a beverage of your choice (being careful not to spill any and risk damaging the cards) are allowed, and non-obvious things like keeping track of the score with pen and paper are beyond the scope of this answer but should probably only be done with the permission of all other players.)

I like this for its elegance. I will say however, that no matter how many times more experienced players say this...some relatively new person or somebody who just doesn't think this systematically about things will stumble in and ask a question that is more or less covered by a literal reading of the rules.

And that's when we punk 'em. And we just have to accept that and answer as best we can.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »

During a turn of Dominion, you are not allowed to do anything other than [...] or count your deck (only looking at the backs of the cards), unless a card specifically says you can do it.

I never knew you were allowed to count your deck without a card telling you to do that. Can anyone give out a link to the rules where it says so? Maybe it was just missed out in the german version, but i really would like to know.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »
+1

During a turn of Dominion, you are not allowed to do anything other than [...] or count your deck (only looking at the backs of the cards), unless a card specifically says you can do it.

I never knew you were allowed to count your deck without a card telling you to do that. Can anyone give out a link to the rules where it says so? Maybe it was just missed out in the german version, but i really would like to know.

"A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck, but not in his Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck or his Discard pile. A player may look through the Trash pile, and players may count the number of cards left in any pile in the Supply."

Edit:  Hmm.  Are you allowed to count how many, say, Spoils are left?  Or how many cards are left in the Black Market deck?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:26:07 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »
+1

Under additional rules:

Quote from: Dominion Rules
A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck,
but not in his Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck
or his Discard pile. A player may look through the Trash pile, and
players may count the number of cards left in any pile in the
Supply.

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pdf

Page 4

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »

Edit:  Hmm.  Are you allowed to count how many, say, Spoils are left?  Or how many cards are left in the Black Market deck?

Ooh, a thing not covered by the rules, counting non-supply piles. It's missing from the rules FAQ too (in my sig). The answer is of course obvious, but still... Well, I can't be bothered to add it, I think. Even a FAQ like that can get too pedantic... right?

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:49 am »

Has the author of Dominion ever settled the rule in this forum or elsewhere?

Although I doubt Donald X has ruled on this specific issue, one thing he has said repeatedly is that he considers Dominion to have a general, implied rule common to most games -- if you aren't told you can do something, you can't do it.  It's not necessary for cards to explicitly tell you not to do things.

You are correct that neither the rules nor clarifications (I guess?) say you cannot look at the next card before deciding.  However, this doesn't mean there's an ambiguity or confusion.  What's more important is that the card doesn't say you *can* look at the next card, therefore you can't.

I believe there's a rule somewhere in the book that tells you you are not allowed to look at cards in your current deck.  Unless this rule is explicitly over-ruled by a card, you have to follow that.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:27 am »
+1

You can't look at the top card. End of discussion.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 04:22:17 pm »
+2

End of discussion.

> End of discussion.
> Dominion Strategy Forum.
Pick one.

Edit: That was supposed to be a joke...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:45:06 pm by Asper »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 04:41:39 pm »
+2

I can pick both!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:23 pm »
+6

I can pick both!

You so need to lock the thread right after saying that!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.