Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Heist (Treasure/Duration)  (Read 1953 times)

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Heist (Treasure/Duration)
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:58:03 pm »
+2

Heist
Treasure/Duration - $4

If you do not currently have a Heist in play, +$3. Otherwise +$1
This card remains in play until another player plays a Heist -- discard it when one does so.
---------------------
(the basic reasoning behind the name being that you can't pull a second heist until someone else pulls one and draws attention away from yourself)

A little worried its too weak, but a +$4 for 4 early game would be too powerful. Maybe cost it at a $3, but that could make the opening very swingy if you buy two and someone else dislodges one of them for you. Might not be that bad though.

But I wanted to explore the idea of treasure/durations, as well cards that you don't actually want a lot of (but would want a couple) and cards that help others when you play them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Heist (Treasure/Duration)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »
+1

Cool idea, but I have a small nitpick. Whenever you play a Heist, you will always have a Heist in play (the one you just played), so it will always produce $1 as currently worded.

You could say, "If you have only one Heist in play".

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »

Interesting idea.  Difficult to evaluate!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »

Cool idea, but I have a small nitpick. Whenever you play a Heist, you will always have a Heist in play (the one you just played), so it will always produce $1 as currently worded.

Probably would be more consistent with other cards to say "If this is the first time you played Heist this turn..."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Probably would be more consistent with other cards to say "If this is the first time you played Heist this turn..."

I was going to suggest this, but that would change the function.  Heist stays in play until another player plays Heist, which means it might only be worth +$1 the first time you play it this turn, if you still have one in play from a previous turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »

Not sure this should be a Duration... doesn't follow normal Duration timing rules. How about:

When you play this, set it aside. When another player plays a Heist, discard this.
If you have only 1 Heist card set aside, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

I was going to suggest this, but that would change the function.  Heist stays in play until another player plays Heist, which means it might only be worth +$1 the first time you play it this turn, if you still have one in play from a previous turn.

Right, just caught that myself. See new wording in new post.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:23:02 pm »

Not sure this should be a Duration... doesn't follow normal Duration timing rules. How about:

When you play this, set it aside. When another player plays a Heist, discard this.
If you have only 1 Heist card set aside, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.

Still not sure it matches, but that might be a good direction if people are sticklers about the Duration typing.  You probably don't want to set it aside before it is counted.

I would tweak it:

Heist
$4 - Treasure

If you have any Heists set aside, +$1.  Otherwise, +$3.
---
At the start of Clean-up this turn, set this aside.  When another player plays a Heist, you may return this to your discard pile.

Oh, but then this doesn't account for when you play multiple Heists on the same turn... hmm.  So maybe

"If you have any other Heists set aside or in play..."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.