Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Announcing GokoDom I: From the Ashes (Sign-Ups CLOSED; EXPECT A PM)  (Read 35626 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
+7

The people have spoken.  We all remember Isotropic and IsoDom fondly, but we have a new arena, and a new arena calls for a new tournament.  Therefore, IsoDom is reborn as... GokoDom.

So we should probably change the subforum name.

Anyway!  To business!

--------

The Tournament Spreadsheet is here!!

--------

Tournament Structure

GokoDom I is a multi-round Swiss tournament with a final playoff between the top eight players.  By entering, you're committing to play the first five rounds, that is, about five weeks; if you feel you have a good shot at the top eight, you're committing to three more weeks.  There will be some leeway, but the nature of a Swiss tournament is such that the entire previous round must be finished before the next round can begin.
  • There will be only one bracket.
  • I may use the Challonge bracket system again, but chances are I will not; their system is a bit less flexible than I would like.
  • Tiebreakers and absentees (including matches not played due to time conflicts) will be dealt with in a manner to be discussed later--they're complex--but will be run quite closely to what is used by FIDE (World Chess Federation).
  • The first round will not be seeded with respect to any sort of rating; instead, it will be seeded based on who has the cards--ideally, all first round matches will have all cards.
  • Later rounds may be arranged such that as many matches as possible have as many cards as possible; however, this will not be the major seeding criterion.
  • Incomplete matches will be counted so long as at least three games have been played.
Round Structure
  • Each round you will play a single two-player match.  This match will be first to three wins, with a maximum of six games.
  • The player who owns more cards will host each game.
  • It is strongly recommended that games be "Professional" games in which cards are not revealed to the players beforehand; this is negotiable within each match but is the default if either player does not agree to modification.
Some sort of extra stipulation will be needed to partially account for Goko's first-turn problem.  I welcome discussion on this point, and any thoughts.  Even Isotropic wasn't perfect; it was possible for someone to win a match by winning three times from the first seat.  I'd like to use the following suggestion as a starting point: "In order to win a match, you must have won more games from the second seat than your opponent, with a minimum of one second-seat win."

Other Stuff
  • Signups are open until Wednesday 10 April.
  • If you've already signed up in this thread's poll, consider yourself in, unless you decide to bow out.
  • If you didn't sign up in that thread, please indicate in this thread whether you have all, some, or none of the sets on Goko.
  • The first round will be paired by Friday 12 April.
  • Each round except the first will last one week, with each round ending on Sunday at midnight PDT, and pairings determined Monday morning EDT.
Fabulous Prizes1

That's right!  For the first time in IsoDom/GokoDom history, prizes1 will be offered!  Our winner will receive:
  • A +1 from SirPeebles2
  • The adulation3 of your peers
  • A mention on the Who's Who on the Wiki4
  • The official GokoDom trophy5
  • One copper6 penny
  • A coupon7 for $1 off your next drink at the coffee house where my local game group meets
  • AND Kirian will follow you on Twitter8

--------
1For certain definitions of "fabulous" and "prize"
2On a post of yours to be determined later
3Adulation not actually guaranteed
4Probably someone will get around to it eventually
5Actual trophy is just a blank Dominion card inscribed9 "GokoDom I: A WINNAR IS YOU" and signed10 by Kirian
6Did you know the actual copper content is only 2.5%?  Yeah, it's mostly zinc with copper cladding.  Still, zinc prices are high enough that the metal is worth more than one cent.11
7Which may or may not be expired
8Kirian has no Twitter followers, so no one will notice
9With a Sharpie
10Using my forum name
11Which is why it's illegal to melt them down
12This footnote is referenced only by itself13, but is an actual reference to something else14
13Apparently that was a blatant lie
14And if you know what that reference is, you're awesome, but there's no extra prize.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:39:06 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing GokoDom I: From the Ashes (Sign-Ups Open)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:26 am »
+3

So I realized, hey, not everyone necessarily knows how a Swiss tournament works.  So along with talking about how pairing, byes, and absences will be handled, I'll give a very quick rundown of a Swiss tournament.

The basic idea of a Swiss tournament is that people with equal scores play each other in each round.  The first round is often randomly seeded.  In the second round, N players will have won their match, N players will have lost, and M players will have drawn.  For the second round, players who won will be paired with other players who won, players who lost with others who lost, and players who drew with other who drew.  There is a major extra constraint, though: no player will play any other player twice.  For instance, if there's only one drawn match in the first round, one of the players who drew will play someone who won in the first round; the other will play someone who lost.

We will add another constraint, which is that players should play as many matches as possible with all the card sets.

We will use scores of 2 for a match win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss, so that we don't have to mess with fractions.

Pairing Algorithms

First Round

Players will be placed into two bins1 consisting of (A) those with all sets on Goko, and (B) those with some or zero sets.  One player from each bin will be randomly paired until one bin is empty.  If the empty bin contains players who have some sets, they will be paired first with players who have no sets.

We will treat these bins A and B as colors in later algorithms.

Second Round

Players will be placed into six bins based on score and available sets: 2A, 2B, 1A, 1B, 0A, 0B.  Players in 2A and 2B will be randomly paired until one bin is empty, as will players in 0A and 0B.  The system for determining the remaining pairings will necessarily depend on which bins remain; the system will preferentially pair games that will have all sets available, while excluding games that would have two players paired a second time, and excluding more than one pairing between a player with 2 points and a player with 0 points (and this pairing will only exist if there are no draws and an odd number of players in each bin).

Tie-Breaking

After two rounds, tie-breakers become necessary for determining pairing.  Tie-breakers will be as follows:

(1) Solkoff score.  This is the sum of the current scores of all opponents played.  For instance, if A beats B, B beats C, and A and C draw, then:

A has score = 3, Solkoff = 3
B has score = 2, Solkoff = 4
C has score = 1, Solkoff = 5

(2) Cumulative score.  This is the sum of the player's scores as the rounds progress.  A player who goes W-L-D-W has scores of 2, 2, 3, 5 at the end of each round, and cumulative scores of 2, 4, 7, 12 at the end of each round.

(3) Cumulative opponents' scores.  This is the sum of the cumulative scores of all opponents played.

(4) Result between ties.  If two players are still tied at this point and have played one another, the winner of that game wins the tie.

(5) After all rounds, if a tie still exists for eighth place, that tie will be broken by a coin flip.

Further Rounds

Pairing algorithm is as follows:

(1) Order players according to score, then secondarily according to tiebreaker rules in order.  There will be many ties still, which means there will be an ordered set of bins k = 1, 2, ... , N.  Each player can further be labeled based on this bin plus original bin A or B.

(2) Choose a random player in the highest bin.  Pair this player based on the following priorities:

(A) With a player in this bin of opposite color
(B) With a player in the next lower bin of opposite color
(C) With a player in this bin of the same color
(D) With a player in the next bin of the same color (if this bin is empty)

At each level, exclude pairings that would cause two players to meet a second time.  (In later rounds, this may cause players to be two or more bins apart.)

Repeat until all players are paired.

Byes and Unplayed Matches

Both of these situations mess with Solkoff and other tie-breaker scores, as those scores rely on the status of the opponent... who may or may not exist.  First, though, we classify these types of matches.

(1) Bye Match:  If there are an odd number of players, the lowest player will receive a bye each round.  The player who receives a Bye wins by default.

(2) Pure Win by Default: Player A makes an effort to schedule the match, while player B is unresponsive.  Player A notifies me by PM of this situation, and player B does not say anything; Player A wins by default, Player B loses by default.

(3) Draw by Default: Both players make good-faith efforts to schedule a match, but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time.  BOTH players must inform me of this situation; each receives a draw by default.

(4) Mutual Default: A match is unplayed and neither player makes contact with me.  Both players lose by default.

For scoring purposes, a win, draw, or loss by default still counts as 2, 1, or 0 points.  For tie-breaker scores, a win by default counts as 1 point, and a draw or loss by default counts as 0 points.

All defaults generate a pair of virtual opponents, one for each player.  The virtual opponent generated depends on the default:

(1) A player who wins by default is considered to have played, for that round, a virtual opponent that started the round with the same number of points as the player, lost to the player, and draws every later round.  So, a player who wins in round 1, draws in round 2, and then wins by default in the third round, is considered to have played an opponent who will end the tournament with 2 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 = 5 points.  That virtual opponent will have cumulative scores of 2, 3, 3, 4, 5.

(2) A player who draws by default is considered to have played, for that round, a virtual opponent that started the round with the same numbers of points as the player, drew with the player, and draws every later round.

(3) A player who loses by default is considered to have played an opponent that has lost all matches.

--------

OK... I hope that's explicit enough for everyone!

1Computational bins, wise guy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:20:23 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:39 am »

Reserved for final decisions on first-player solutions.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »

in
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:21 pm »

In
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »

/in

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:22:17 pm »

In

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »

/in.

regarding first player: A possible workaround might be to restart games untilo you have the desired starting player.
Also I think rules regarding how matchups will be made should be clearly stated. I fear taht the current vague ruling might lead to disputes.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:16 pm »

Already submitted to the poll, but in please. And I have all the sets (but no promos yet).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:26:10 pm by philosophyguy »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:54 pm »

yay

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »

In.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »

/in.

regarding first player: A possible workaround might be to restart games untilo you have the desired starting player.

I thought about that, but it means someone will have to resign, which causes rating changes.  I'm not sure how people feel about that.

Also I think rules regarding how matchups will be made should be clearly stated. I fear taht the current vague ruling might lead to disputes.

You mean the way the pairings are generated?  Swiss system is relatively self-explanatory; the only extra allowance is that people may have their order bumped up or down a place in order to pair people who have as many sets as possible, especially in the second round. (This is similar to the way FIDE tournaments will bump someone up or down so that they alternate playing black and white as much as possible.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:04:00 pm by Kirian »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »

Already submitted to the poll, but in please.

Ditto.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »

/in.

I thought about that, but it means someone will have to resign, which causes rating changes.  I'm not sure how people feel about that.
Well, I thought one of the huge complaints about Goko was you can just quit the game instead of resigning?

You mean the way the pairings are generated?  Swiss system is relatively self-explanatory; the only extra allowance is that people may have their order bumped up or down a place in order to pair people who have as many sets as possible, especially in the second round. (This is similar to the way FIDE tournaments will bump someone up or down so that they alternate playing black and white as much as possible.)
But they use a deterministic alorithm that you could potentially look at for that, don't they? The problem i see here is that people might be an unhappy with however the arbitrary ruling turns out.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »

Count me in.

I like your suggestion for second player wins but I think the unique match situations which result in wins/losses/draws need to be clearly defined.

For example...

Player A splits his match with player B 3-3, but has one second player win while player B has none.  Is the match result a win for player A?

Player A wins 6 games in the match (6-0), all as first player.  Is the match result a draw?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 03:23:00 pm »

/in
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »

In

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 04:00:38 pm »

Addendum!

If you're in, but didn't reply in the other thread, please indicate whether you have all the sets of just some!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 04:03:14 pm »

/in

I guess you're using data from the poll, but I might as well reiterate that I have each of the expansions, but none of the promos.

ppe: ninja'd with the answer! But I'll leave that there anyway :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »

But they use a deterministic alorithm that you could potentially look at for that, don't they? The problem i see here is that people might be an unhappy with however the arbitrary ruling turns out.

I will also use something as deterministic as I can; I just haven't decided what, exactly, I will use.  My intent is that no one should be knocked out of their "normal" Swiss pairing by more than one slot.  And that will still be overridden by not playing the same person more than once.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 04:05:51 pm »

/in

I only have base set...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »

I was hoping that your last footnote would reference LastFootnote.
Well you *do* need a signature...

bama

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 04:56:25 pm »

/in

Only base set + 3 cards from DarkAges promo

Long time lurker... :)

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:48 pm »

I will also use something as deterministic as I can; I just haven't decided what, exactly, I will use.  My intent is that no one should be knocked out of their "normal" Swiss pairing by more than one slot.  And that will still be overridden by not playing the same person more than once.

Then I have no objections.

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »

/In
I have all cards except the three promos
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.