Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Isotropic request. Level by # of players  (Read 2422 times)

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Isotropic request. Level by # of players
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »

I'd love to see levels broken out by #of players.  Basically 3 separate ladders and leader boards to represent 2player, 3player, and 4player games.

This is something I thought it should have since the first time I played there, and was just reminded of it in a different thread talking about 4p tournaments.  4p dominion takes a very different strategy than 2-player dominion, and it'd be nice to have more accurate representations of levels. 

For example today I'm level 25, but if you look at my record I have exactly one 2p game played (and i don't even remember why I have that) 435 3p games and 32 4p games.  I'm probably not a lvl 25 in 2p.  I've only played a few 2p games ftf.  Almost all games I've ever played are 3-4.  And if some other lvl 25 who has played thousands of 2p games jumps into his first ever 3p game with me, we are probably not equally leveled.  And then there's also the higher variance factor with more players which may lower rankings of those who play 3-4p.

With tournaments actually popping up now of different formats for # of players it may be helpful for those hardcore players to see where they stand relatively in each format.

I don't know how your level would be displayed though as cluttering up everyone with multiple levels would make things ugly.  Just keeping the "one ladder" level, and having a separate 2p-3p-4p specific leaderboards hidden somewhere for us who care to look at might be best.

Anyone else agree, or am I just crazy?

Regardless of my request, thanks for Isotropic.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
Re: Isotropic request. Level by # of players
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:24:36 am »

I quasi-second this. Even though it would probably be super difficult to implement.

Perhaps slightly easier to implement (?) would be a Popular Buys and Best/Worst Openings list on CouncilRoom.com that's based on player count.

i.e., we know that Thief and Pirate Ship are at the bottom of the barrel on Win Rate With, but if there were a Popular Buys chart for 3p or 4p only games, I'm sure they'd hop up quite a few spots. I'm not sure how many, but I bet numbers could be crunched to find out.

I don't know how much longer isotropic will be around (that will be a sad day), but I'm guessing CouncilRoom.com will be around even once isotropic is gone, yes? Let's crunch some numbers!
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:03:19 am »

I don't know how much longer isotropic will be around (that will be a sad day), but I'm guessing CouncilRoom.com will be around even once isotropic is gone, yes? Let's crunch some numbers!

What if, super secretly in the background Rio Grand is working with Isotropic so that when the official version is announced we find out that they have licensed Isotropic to produce and run it.  Then Isotropic releases an graphic upgrade to pretty everything else and use the printed card images.

Hey a guy can dream right?

But anyhow, yea.  Maybe this is something councilroom could do?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:26:35 am »

I'd happily hold someone's hand if they want to do custom player rankings on councilroom, but I won't do it myself.

Computing the stuff isn't hard.  rspeer did the hard part of implementing trueskill already.  It's just a matter of dividing the games into different sets before running the trueskill function on them with different rankings per game set.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.