Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be interested in playing in an IsoDom-style tournament held on Goko?

Yes, and I have all the sets
- 23 (41.1%)
Yes, and I have some of the cards
- 2 (3.6%)
Yes, but I have only base cards
- 17 (30.4%)
Not now, but maybe after Goko improves
- 12 (21.4%)
Not at all
- 2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: April 10, 2013, 10:44:59 am

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Phoenix Time for IsoDom?  (Read 9653 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Phoenix Time for IsoDom?
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:59 am »

Many of you know that the IsoDom tournament ran for five "seasons" as it were.  Iso Dominion is now gone... but a GokoDom could take its place, assuming we have the interest, and enough players with cards.

The question indicates "IsoDom-style."  This means, likely, another multi-week, multi-round Swiss-style tournament.  Because Goko's rating system is not the best, and it's hard to find everyone's ratings, I don't think we could separate into brackets--it would be one big tournament.

So, what say you, forumites?  Is it time?  Or should we shelve things for another couple of months?  And do we have enough people with most/all of the cards to make a tournament worthwhile and interesting?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Time for IsoDom?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:21 am »

Also, should I have put this in the main forum?  Are there a lot of people who have the IsoDom subforum ignored?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

Can I suggest running a small practice tournament first (like maybe only 3 rounds with a loser's bracket)? There are bound to be issues with moving to a new platform (e.g., seating order), and it would be much less chaotic to handle those in a lower-stakes situation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:35 pm »

I think it's time.  I'd also like to second a practice tournament.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
+3

Perhaps we could ask Goko about the possibility of the winner being awarded some of those little shield things.  I bet Goko would appreciate the positive PR among the community.
Well you *do* need a signature...

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »
+2

I created the following idea on GetSatisfaction regarding the creation of a lobby where turn order can be manually set.  I think this is an important feature for running a successful tournament.  Hopefully, with some support of others, we can make this request visible and get it implemented sooner rather than later.

http://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/create_a_lobby_to_allow_players_to_manually_set_turn_order

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:24:40 pm »
+3

Whoa now, I was thinking that we would have more discussion here about what we want before getting Goko involved.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »

I think having a way to regulate first turn advantage is key to being able to run a tournament.  There were constant discussions about first turn advantage before, and that's when we had two ways of controlling it: Isotropic's "loser goes first" policy and eventually the tournament lobby was created for manual control of player turn order.  Right now, Goko uses only pure random selection for choosing the first player which is not conducive for running a tournament.

I think getting the ball rolling on this issue early will allow for better tournaments sooner.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »

It sounds really, really hard to run a tournament in Goko's current state, given the first turn problem the leaderboard issues, and lack of auto-resign. I might be up for like an "unofficial" one, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:18:24 pm »

How the hell should those things be detrimental to a tournament (except the first player thing)?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »

It sounds really, really hard to run a tournament in Goko's current state, given the first turn problem the leaderboard issues, and lack of auto-resign. I might be up for like an "unofficial" one, though.

I'm pretty certain IsoDom was always unofficial.  I mean, it's not like we have corporate sponsorship or even DS sponsorship besides getting a subforum to ourselves... which notably is also true for Mafia and Ozle's puzzle hunts.

Also, I think Watno's point is correct--in a tournament, auto-resign doesn't matter, and the leaderboard doesn't really matter initially.  The first turn problem is a problem, but I think it's something we can work around for the time being.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:19 pm »

You actually can auto-resign.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 10:52:14 pm »

This sounds good.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »

OK... we currently have 31 people interested, more than half of whom own all the sets.  I dare say that's enough for a full tournament, though obviously I'll let signups go for quite a while longer than one day!

With respect to a practice tournament... I don't really think it's necessary.  This isn't a high-stakes tournament; the grand prize is, well, getting your name on the Wiki Who's Who List?  The adulation of your peers? The ability to gloat in your signature?  I think the only way the stakes could be lower is if the prize was a negative.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »
+2

I, SirPeebles, will give a +1 respect to the winner of the first GokoDom.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:23 am »
+9

I, SirPeebles, will give a +1 respect to the winner of the first GokoDom.

Oh dear, now I feel like I have to one-up you.  Let me dig into my prize rack...

All right, in addition to a +1 from SirPeebles, the adulation of your peers*, and a mention on the Wiki**, you will also receive, from me:

A blank Dominion card inscribed*** with "GokoDom I: A WINNAR IS YOU," signed by me****
One "copper" penny*****
A coupon good for $1 off your next purchase at the coffee shop where my game group meets******

AND I will follow you on Twitter.*******

How's that for a prize package?

-----
*Adulation not actually guaranteed
**Probably, assuming someone takes the time to do it
***With a Sharpie
****With my forum name
*****Actual copper content: 2.5%
******Probably not expired
*******No one will actually notice this

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 12:42:45 am »
+3

You had me at "A WINNAR IS YOU"
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:56 am »

Is half of the players having all sets really enough? It would be a real pain to arrange matches in a way that one player always has all sets, and would probably lead to some unfairness.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:49 am »

22 out of 36 interested people have all the sets. That's over 60% and I think this (and tournament level as well) could be further improved by contacting some strong Goko players not using this forum (I don't know who are they as I play mostly against bots at Goko, but I remember someone mentioning a few names here). I think if 65-70% people playing own all sets it will be possible to run a Swiss tournament smoothly and have all sets available for all games.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:55:13 am »

What happens if all the finalists only had free cards?  Base Dominion determines the winner?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:06 am »

Big Money FTW!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:51 am »

I'd play, but I only have base and live in Japan. So…yeah. :/
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 11:12:14 am »

What happens if all the finalists only had free cards?  Base Dominion determines the winner?

Well, basically... yes.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:20 am »
+2

If Goko allowed the game to continue after one player quits in a 3 player game there would be a way to include all sets even if the people in the finals didn't own them. You just need a host to start the game and then immediately resign. I don't think this works currently on Goko.

The other option requires even more kindness on the part of the "host". Here the third person with all sets must sit through the entire game and click end turn without doing anything. The loser resigns when the end game conditions would have been met in a 2 player game. So somebody has to keep score here as well.

This isn't a very practical idea since it requires schedule agreement between three people, and also the patience and generosity of one very nice person, but it would allow a match with all expansions in the case where the finalists don't own all the sets.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:05:14 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:33 am »
+2

No, it isn't practical. The kingdoms would start out with twelve of each VP and twenty curses/ruins.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:44 am »

No, it isn't practical. The kingdoms would start out with twelve of each VP and twenty curses/ruins.

You are right, I didn't consider Ruins/Curses at all. And I was assuming the VP issue would be cleared up by honor rules, but this won't work for cards like Baron.

edit: I guess you could consider whether Base is better/worse than All Expansions minus Cursers/Looters/etc. This is again assuming someone very nice wants to do this sort of thing.

edit again: You could safely include IGG (on boards without another Curser), Swindler, Ambassador, and probably Sea Hag (I realize there are edge cases here). So you wouldn't lose all the cursers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:03:34 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:04 pm »

Reminder!  If you voted in the poll (as "interested"), I automatically added you to the tourney list.  I will likely send out PMs to everyone, but please let me know if you voted "interested" here but do not want to be in for this cycle.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.