Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Am I a bad person?  (Read 9766 times)

Vortex

• Herbalist
  • I chose this avatar for a reason.
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a bad person?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:04 am »
+1

I spit on people from the rooftop of my building as I pass

Am I bad person?
No, just really sick and disgusting.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 10:13:41 am »

If you were deliberately seeking out games with people 15 levels lower than you with KC-amb-ghost ship, then yes, that wouldn't be a nice move.

i would probably agree, but why would it matter? does the opponent's valuation of fun matter more than mine? how is this different from the people who just beat up on bots to play an engine and get a win?

Is it possible to play constructed kingdoms against bots? Sometimes I just want to try a ridicucombo against "an opponent" without potentially annoying a human being.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 10:46:15 am »
+1

Is it possible to play constructed kingdoms against bots? Sometimes I just want to try a ridicucombo against "an opponent" without potentially annoying a human being.

Absolutely. Just create a private casual or unranked game and invite bots to it.

To invite bots, just click on an empty "seat" and choose the bot you want to fill it.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

Ah, okay. I haven't wanted to play multiplayer yet, so I haven't even ventured into that area. Good to know.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 10:52:45 am »
+2

My diversion for the day has been to host unranked games and pin unsuspecting Goko players with the KC/KC/Mon/Goons/Masq combo.

Does the fact that I've found peoples' reactions amusing mean I should go re-think life?

I'm telling myself it's my own little way of improving the community by getting people to do more 'professional' games, but really I just like the giggles.

I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:43 am »
+1

Am I bad person?

Not if you film their reactions and put it on youtube.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »

Has anyone seen the pin coming and beaten you handily? Or are all the other cards in the kingdom things like Thief and Scout.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »
+4

Has anyone seen the pin coming and beaten you handily? Or are all the other cards in the kingdom things like Thief and Scout.

This is so much fun.
I always enjoyed it on Iso when players proposed me with custom card sets.
And I got to beat them :)
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:10 pm »
+2

Am I bad person?

I think if you can manage to do it as you pass it would make you Batman. Thank you for giving me this mental image.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:34 pm »
+5

Am I bad person?

I think if you can manage to do it as you pass it would make you Batman. Thank you for giving me this mental image.

I am not saying I am Batman
I am just saying, have you ever seen us in a room together?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »
+1

Yes, you are a bad person.  Play the game and stop trolling.
Does this mean I cant purposely play games with Possession/Torturer/Sabotuer/Goons/Pirate Ship/Ghost Ship/Familiar/any other attack that most people hate? No. If I go into a game having chose some cruel cards, and somebody accepts, they are accepting not only the game, but the fact that every card on the set could be used to the advantage of the buyer/disadvantage of the victim. If they didnt know about some certain use of a card, well, thats their problem. They accepted the game; they must reap the consequences.

There's a difference between accepting a game with those cards that was generated randomly, and accepting a game where your opponent has curated a set for his advantage. Remember the guy on Iso who would require a specific set of 10 cards that he'd designed to trap people with? It's like that, only on Goko there is no way for the joiner to know that the creator specifically chose the set.

But if you're one of those crazy advantage-play types, here's the bigger problem: if you're only able to accept casual games knowing there is that risk, then the only logical strategy for casual games is to create the lobby yourself, which leads to no two logical players being able to play a casual game against each other. Thus you have a Nash equilibrium where nobody gets to play. That's a problem.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 12:03:24 am »

But if you're one of those crazy advantage-play types, here's the bigger problem: if you're only able to accept casual games knowing there is that risk, then the only logical strategy for casual games is to create the lobby yourself, which leads to no two logical players being able to play a casual game against each other. Thus you have a Nash equilibrium where nobody gets to play. That's a problem.
It's not an equilibrium. If everybody is sitting in a casual game waiting to join, then any player can improve his/her situation by going ahead and joining somebody else's game. Sure you risk joining a trap, but it can't be any worse than not playing. (Assuming of course that playing is preferable to not-playing. If not, why are you trying to play? :P)

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:56 am »
+1

This 'experiment' is quite finished. I moved on to other pre-set decks that are interesting for other (more legitimate) reasons.

However, only one person actually played any of the 'pin' games to completetion. I apologized to them, explained what I was doing, and told them 'bravo' on continuing their tradition of NEVER having quit a game, EVER.

While I did design the deck to lend itself towards me getting to the pin fairly quickly (this could be improved), I did have a number or players who were quite ahead in points at the time they were pinned. (Including ALT VPs from Goons). These games would have taken a LONG time to finish, and I'm glad to say that all of those opponents just quit. At that point I added a Monument just to ensure I could get the point lead again and actually finish the game (still slowly, but less so) by winning on points and just trashing out the province pile.

All of that to say, I didn't pick a deck that was specifically 'rigged' beyond containing the needed cards, and people could have conceivably still beaten me by simply getting ahead and through 2 piles (not that difficult unless my draws are LUCKY) and then buying out the curses once they were pinned. (This is less true once I added in Monument).

I hadn't ever used this combo, so it was an interesting learning experience in-game (and I'm more effective in my use of Masq now, for it). It was also interesting to watch peoples' reactions both in-game and here on the board.

In my defense (not that it's really needed, but I'm typically not the jerk/troll): I played everyone (including some people who clearly saw the option of the pin...they could have beaten me to it). I kept the games unranked and reminded people they were unranked OR I titled games in a way that should have given people fair warning.

Anyhow, all in all it was an interesting process. As always, thanks for some interesting follow-up. I find this is always the case on this board, no matter the topic.

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 02:07:42 am »
+1

It's not an equilibrium. If everybody is sitting in a casual game waiting to join, then any player can improve his/her situation by going ahead and joining somebody else's game. Sure you risk joining a trap, but it can't be any worse than not playing. (Assuming of course that playing is preferable to not-playing. If not, why are you trying to play? :P)

I still think the inevitable result of this (over time) will simply be seeing 'pro' games as the default for almost everyone. Which I think is great.

Hertz_Doughnut

• Baron
  • Respect: +227
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:29 am »
+6

Would you do this in real life?  I mean set up a table at your local game store luring in Dominion rookies to pull off the pin and see the reactions on their faces?

Yeah... there's your sign...

The temptation is to think that because the Internet is anonymous, that there aren't human beings with feelings on the other end.  Veteran internet-game-players get calloused to your kind of behavior and don't take it personally... but, on the other hand, I had a co-worker once tell a story of going on to Yahoo games to play Bridge.  After playing and enjoying her first game, she joined her second and the game host immediately booted her.  (My guess is he was trying to save a place at the table for a friend.)  Anyway she felt so bad about the experience she shut down her computer and knitted in front of the TV for the rest of the night.

I think everyone should be as polite as possible when dealing with strangers... and that applies to the internet, too.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.