Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Am I a bad person?  (Read 9767 times)

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Am I a bad person?
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:39 pm »
+5

My diversion for the day has been to host unranked games and pin unsuspecting Goko players with the KC/KC/Mon/Goons/Masq combo.

Does the fact that I've found peoples' reactions amusing mean I should go re-think life?

I'm telling myself it's my own little way of improving the community by getting people to do more 'professional' games, but really I just like the giggles.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a bad person?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:56 pm »

I guess if it's unranked it's not the worst thing in the world, but... yeah, that's not so nice.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:05 pm »
+1

You mean they don't just quit out on you with no words or rating consequences?

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:39 pm »
+1

A few of 'em do.

Most (surprisingly) don't quit until I remind them that it's an unranked game.

I've had people tell me that it's a bug and they're getting no cards.
I've had a few rage-afks (which I just leave)
I've had some people see the pin coming and just say gg.
Some have been quite upset (use your imagination).

Anyhow, done with that for the moment, but yes, it does highlight some other 'problems' with the Goko format (at least for 'standard' play). I think eventually all (most) games will be set as 'professional'.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »

I had someone ask me how come I get to play so many Ventures every turn, and I explained it was because he let me buy/Mint 7 of them and I had only 3 other treasures in my deck.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:09 pm »
+2

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
+5

You should switch it up every once in a while with TR/TR/Minion/Outpost/Masquerade ;)

Keep it fresh!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:12 pm »
+1

Make them casual games instead of unranked, get to the top of the "casual leaderboard" for the lulz

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »

I'd say you're trolling/griefing goko.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:43 pm »

Social experimentation at its finest.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:43 pm »

Thats…really mean.

Why dont you play rated? :P
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:35 pm »
+4

Yes, you are a bad person.  Play the game and stop trolling.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:30:24 pm »
+3

Technically, what he's doing is no different from hosting an unranked game with all his favorite big money cards he is most proficient with.

You should probably object to playing someone who has rigged a specific setup anyway.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:00 pm »

that seems a bit much. if that is an aspect of the game that this person enjoys then i fail to see the problem. how is this different from playing with a card like possession that people don't care for? or how is this different from playing any other engine that you enjoy playing? in this case you can see the cards before you play and you can literally quit without penalty. seems to me to be a non-issue.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
+1

that seems a bit much. if that is an aspect of the game that this person enjoys then i fail to see the problem. how is this different from playing with a card like possession that people don't care for? or how is this different from playing any other engine that you enjoy playing? in this case you can see the cards before you play and you can literally quit without penalty. seems to me to be a non-issue.

While you have a bit of a point, there's the newbie factor.  Consider someone who's become interested in Goko without having visited ds.com or f.ds.  First, they might not realize there even are unrated games.  Second, they may well not know about the pin.  Some people, as he's noted, weren't aware they could leave with no penalty, and some thought there was actually a bug.  So, Kahlebb here is going into the game knowing that one side is going to have fun and (at least sometimes) the other side won't.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:44 pm »

To the OP, I don't see your argument for making Goko have all games being pro rated games. That was the point I think you were trying to make. Who gives a f about unranked games. I think it is a jerk thing to do because a lot of people on Goko are newbies.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 12:03:51 am »
+3

Does this mean I cant purposely play games with Possession/Torturer/Sabotuer/Goons/Pirate Ship/Ghost Ship/Familiar/any other attack that most people hate? No. If I go into a game having chose some cruel cards, and somebody accepts, they are accepting not only the game, but the fact that every card on the set could be used to the advantage of the buyer/disadvantage of the victim. If they didnt know about some certain use of a card, well, thats their problem. They accepted the game; they must reap the consequences.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:11:37 am by Morgrim7 »

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:19:47 am »

While you have a bit of a point, there's the newbie factor.  Consider someone who's become interested in Goko without having visited ds.com or f.ds.  First, they might not realize there even are unrated games.  Second, they may well not know about the pin.  Some people, as he's noted, weren't aware they could leave with no penalty, and some thought there was actually a bug. 

this all comes across as reasons to be criticizing Goko or the opponent and not the OP.

So, Kahlebb here is going into the game knowing that one side is going to have fun and (at least sometimes) the other side won't.

so am i a bad person then for all of the games on isotropic where i destroyed a player who was 15 levels lower than i was? i can guarantee you that some of those kc-ambassador or ghost ship games were no fun for my opponent. i don't think it was a particularly nice move by OP but some of the backlash is a bit overblown IMO.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:02 am »
+4

If you were deliberately seeking out games with people 15 levels lower than you with KC-amb-ghost ship, then yes, that wouldn't be a nice move.

Not-fun games happen. That's okay. But deliberately designing sets of cards in a way that you know your opponent won't like is not cool, and not at all the same thing.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:42 am »

If you were deliberately seeking out games with people 15 levels lower than you with KC-amb-ghost ship, then yes, that wouldn't be a nice move.

i would probably agree, but why would it matter? does the opponent's valuation of fun matter more than mine? how is this different from the people who just beat up on bots to play an engine and get a win?

Not-fun games happen. That's okay. But deliberately designing sets of cards in a way that you know your opponent won't like is not cool, and not at all the same thing.

as has already been discussed, they can A. resign without consequence and B. they can see the set coming in and decline playing it. if you enthusiastically agree to play jigglyball with me and don't walk away when you have the chance am i still at fault when you take a tennis ball to the noggin? i'm having a good time, and no one is keeping you around.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:52:22 am »
+9

i would probably agree, but why would it matter? does the opponent's valuation of fun matter more than mine? how is this different from the people who just beat up on bots to play an engine and get a win?

The difference is that a bot doesn't care, whereas people get annoyed at that. Deliberately annoying people is, in general, not a nice thing to do. That is not at all specific to Dominion.

You're not a robot or a computer program. You have had a lifetime experience of interacting with people and you can usually make a pretty good guess at how people will react to things. If you do something and have a reasonable expectation that the other person's reaction will be ARGH THIS SUCKS I HATE THIS YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR INFLICTING THIS ON ME - that might be a sign that the thing you're about to do isn't nice and you shouldn't do it! Having fun at the expense of other people is generally the hallmark of a jerk and not a good person!

I mean typically, you're playing a game, both people should have fun. It doesn't always happen - sometimes you get sets of cards you don't like or whatever. But if you specifically set out to make the game not fun for your opponent, then you're being a jerk and you should stop doing that. The details of how exactly you're setting out to deliberately make the game unfun don't really matter.

You know perfectly well that the only reason this thread is here is BECAUSE people don't like being reduced to 0 cards. The OP isn't making sets with just a random overpowered combo that people don't know, it's about making sets with a combo that shuts people out of the game and makes them stop having fun. I don't think there would be much discussion here if the first post was "I love the Hermit-Market Square combo so I just made lots of unranked games and beat lots of people with it", people would just say "hey, that's cool, have fun." But it's not that, it's KC-Goons-Masq which you know lots of people will hate being exposed to.

(So, btw, I take back my suggestion of gaming the casual leaderboard with the KC-goons-masq combo. Game it with something that won't leave your opponents hating you!)

as has already been discussed, they can A. resign without consequence and B. they can see the set coming in and decline playing it. if you enthusiastically agree to play jigglyball with me and don't walk away when you have the chance am i still at fault when you take a tennis ball to the noggin? i'm having a good time, and no one is keeping you around.

If you set up the game of jigglyball underhandedly, without warning people they're about to get a tennis ball to the noggin, then yes, you're still a jerk.

The fact that people  WITH SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE can see the KC-Goons-Masq pin coming doesn't mean that everybody can; lots of people won't realize they're joining a game that's specifically designed in a way that most people find unfun.

You can talk for forever about what OTHER people SHOULD do. But fact of the matter is, they don't, and you know perfectly well that they don't.

If you ACTUALLY wanted to play KC-goons-masq games without pissing people off, reasonable things to do so as not to be a jerk would be:
1) title the game something like "HAND DESTRUCTION PIN" (to hopefully *actually* warn people, instead of the "oh you should have known" type warning which is more for shifting blame than actually warning)
2) and/or actually copy/paste/type a warning first thing in chat: "Hey, glhf. Friendly warning: this set is designed to have a masquerade pin which destroys your hand. It's an unranked game so you can resign at any time if you don't like it!"
3) or make a good faith effort to play with people who would appreciate the pin game rather than hate it (i.e. probably the sort of people who are highly ranked or hang out on these forums)

Of course, Goko could definitely facilitate (3) by having a good ranking systsem and automatch, which would naturally tend to match up people of similar skill (and thus probably match up Srs Gamers with other Srs Gamers and match up casuals with casuals, thus increasing fun and decreasing frustration for everybody). But right now they don't.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 03:38:30 am »
+3

Am I a bad person?

No, but a mod should permanently change your subtitle from "Ambassador" to "Torturer" lol

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:20 am »

Am I a bad person?

No, but a mod should permanently change your subtitle from "Ambassador" to "Torturer" lol
Subtitles reflect who we are? I just need around 550 posts and then I get a nice cool one.

Mad, I tell you.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:46 am »
+1

More sad than bad I'd say.

Unless you just made up the whole thing to get the conversation rolling, in which case.... no still sad.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:21:11 am »
+1

I spit on people from the rooftop of my building as I pass

Am I bad person?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.