Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trying to make sense of Innovation  (Read 3236 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Trying to make sense of Innovation
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:49:22 am »

This is a strange game, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. So I thought I'd post some games and a few thoughts.

This was a particularly strange game: http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/26/game-20130326-054047-f9410abf.html

My opponent rushed quickly ahead into the higher cards, actually finishing the game with 10s on all 5 of his piles. Meanwhile, I never got past 4, but was slowly getting achievements and score. I was hoping to somehow steal one of his cards and jump up to his level, but when he started scoring some 10s, I decided to steal them from him instead and get some points on the board, especially with only 2 10s left in the game. My opponent somewhat foolishly applied the Internet, and some crazy stuff happened, giving him 10s on all his piles and getting him 2 achievements. But more importantly, he tried to draw an 11, and the game ended with a win for me because I'd just stolen his 10s and now had more points. Interesting that I can win the game with such a weaker board than his.

elglin1982

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to make sense of Innovation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:49 am »

Stranger things have happened. I've recently played a game (don't have the log), which went as follows:
I grabbed an early 1, but got stuck (admittedly, due to several misplays) in age 5. My opponent spammed Industrialization and then was able to splay all of his, by this time, considerably deep (7+) piles, which gave him lead on every icon. Additionally, he was into age 10 while I was still drawing 5's.
Okay, before my last turn, he's got Empire and Wonder, I've got "1", he leads on all icons. The only lead I have is a pathetic 5-0 in score. But I have Physics, and the 6-9 piles are empty. I share Physics, and by a quirk of probability both my opponent's and my three drawn cards don't have duplicate colours. I draw an extra 10 for sharing, and all of a sudden the "10" pile is just 2 cards deep. I repeat Physics and win.
That, admittedly, was much more luck than skill, yet it shows that, sometimes, you can win even if your board is no match to your opponent's. I guess the ultimate Innovation lesson is "Never quit until the game's over".

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:46 am »

Something that worked in this game: if you seem to be losing, introduce as much randomness and chaos as you can.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:39 pm »

Something that worked in this game: if you seem to be losing, introduce as much randomness and chaos as you can.

This is in general a good strategy for any game whatsoever.  When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose.
Stop reading my signature.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is the main reason for Fission.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »

Definitely. If I feel stuck I just spam a draw-and-meld, even (especially?) if it's shared. Works surprisingly often

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »

yeah, i agree about the spam draw and meld, because if your opponent is doing well, it's because of 1 or 2 effective cards currently on top.  I generally try to spam sharing anyway as part of my general strategy, because you will have the opportunity to draw / meld higher level cards (since you always go last)! 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.