Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bit of a silly idea  (Read 2030 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Bit of a silly idea
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:43:49 pm »

Jewels
Cost: $3
Treasure

When you play this, reveal a card from your hand. This is worth half the cost of the revealed card, rounded down.

I do want to make this card work. However, it currently has some issues. You basically never want this card early on, because it's not more than a Silver unless you have an unplayed action that is $4 plus. But it the late game it suddenly becomes amazing.

Might be better to make it discard the revealed card, although in that case it's not useful until you're getting victory cards (who wants to discard gold?)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Bit of a silly idea
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 01:01:01 pm »

But the problem is that with two of these and a province, I can get another one. And it's going to be better than silver pretty fast.... love the idea though - I'll try to think of some kind of modification to make it more workable.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:02:01 pm »

I like the idea.  I'm not sure that it's really too powerful to work (but see my pricing note later).  By the time you have Provinces, making this thing worth $4, you probably won't get the chance to play it very many times.  Very interesting with Peddler, by the way.

If you wanted to nerf it a bit, only discard the revealed card IF it's a victory card.  Then you can keep your Gold, as you probably should, but 4xJewels+Province won't get you to $16, as it probably shouldn't.

The cost might need to go to as high as $5, though.  Reasoning:  You wouldn't buy it anyway until after the first shuffle, which means you wouldn't use it until after the second shuffle, and at that point I suspect you would be very unlucky indeed not to be able to make it worth at least a Silver.  So I suspect it will basically always be worth at least $2, with the potential to go up to $3 and $4 in the late-game.  That's similar to the range of value you can squeeze out of Venture.   Not quite as good, perhaps, but I suspect I'd usually prefer Jewels to Royal Seal and Stash.

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »

I think this is a card that'll need plenty of playtesting, it's hard to imagine the true effect in play. How about discarding the card instead of revealing?

ed: whoa, was there a modification to your post or am I becoming half blind? :P

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »

So it's a turn 4 or 5 buy I think...and particularly useful in dense decks where the chafe has been trashed out.

I don't think its broken, because if you keep the discard effect, one of your risks is a needed/desired card is put out until you can reshuffle. I also like how it can reward early acquisition of Provinces.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:33 am »

Yeah, making it discard the revealed card if it is a victory card could work.

The main issue I have with the card is that until you get your first Gold, I don't even see it as a good chance of being Silver. It's a silver when you have a $4 or $5 card to reveal, which means either you have a special treasure, or you have a terminal collision (or a useless action, like Moneylender with no copper). I think the main balancing part is about the post-first Gold phase, where it starts reaching $3+. It might have to go up to $5 after all.

Then again, I haven't playtested the card that much, so all of that might mean nothing anyways.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 02:37:16 am »

I like the idea, it allows to add more terminals in not action-abundant decks.

What I don't like is a possibility to reveal a treasure and then to play the same treasure, making this card essentially a kind of Venture (play Jewels, reveal Gold, play this Gold). It's too overpowered and skews the game to boring Big Money variants. If we add a "discard the revealed card" clause, it will be much more interesting giving a second life to extra terminals.

Even after the change this card is quite strong - definitely better than Philosophical Stone ($3+P), should cost about $5.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.