Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More Goko complaints  (Read 7775 times)

snorkelbike

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
More Goko complaints
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:58 am »
+2

Why are they selling a "super pack" of Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity for 230 Gokoins (stupid name) when those sets sell for 70 Gokoins each? Direct quote from the product description:

"Save over 15% by buying the 'Dominion - Super Pack' rather than buying each expansion individually".

What the hell? This seems incredibly disingenuous. This is a game with an analytical player base, and I doubt many people bought the packs rather than doing the math on buying the individual sets first.

As it turns out, the cheapest way to get everything is a combination of buying a specific one of the "super packs" (comes with three sets), and then buying all the other sets individually. Then, you can go to the store and find the cheapest combination of Gokoin purchases that get you to the amount you need to buy everything. But WHY THE FUCK should I be forced to do all of that? Take my money and stop trying to confuse me with the purchase of extra currencies for which I have no need. I have Gokoins, regular coins, and real dollars, and I'm forced to do all kinds of idiotic conversions to figure out how much I'm actually paying for things. This is an awful trend - it's insulting, and it's used only to confuse people in an effort to separate them from more money than they'd otherwise spend.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: More Goko complaints
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:41:18 am »

I believe that Super Pack comes with more extraneous stuff, not only the expansions.
Well you *do* need a signature...

snorkelbike

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:02:15 am »

What else does it come with? Here's the screen shot:

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:50:50 am »

I believe that Super Pack comes with more extraneous stuff, not only the expansions.

That's the Mega Pack with every expansion included. Super Packs just come with 3 expansions.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:43:24 am »
+1

Why are they selling a "super pack" of Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity for 230 Gokoins (stupid name) when those sets sell for 70 Gokoins each? Direct quote from the product description:

"Save over 15% by buying the 'Dominion - Super Pack' rather than buying each expansion individually".

What the hell? This seems incredibly disingenuous. This is a game with an analytical player base, and I doubt many people bought the packs rather than doing the math on buying the individual sets first.

Actually it is less expensive to buy the Super Pack, it only costs $20 to buy 230 gokoins for the super pack compared to the $21 it would cost to buy 70 gokoins for $7 three times. I think that when they say that you can "save over 15%" they are referring to the 15% bonus they give you when you buy all your gokoins at once instead of individually.

It is very stupid to give you a 15% bonus (230 coins for the cost of 200) and then charge you back that bonus by increasing the cost of the super pack but math doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:41 am »

It's also particularly nasty, if not to say a flat out scam, that they offer the option to buy 1250 Gocoins for $100. According to them this amounts to a 25% "bonus", but after buying all expansions you still have over half those Gocoins left, which will by then be completely worthless (until Guilds comes out, at which point you can again spend a whopping 40).

Unless I missed somewhere the option to buy expansions twice and transfer one copy to a friend's account...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:03:56 am by SheCantSayNo »

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:00:26 am »
+2

Or the fact that Dominion isn't Goko's only product, so there are other things you can spend Gokoins on.

disclaimer: I have no idea if any of their other products are currently available for purchase; my point is just that Dominion is not the only reason to buy Gokoins
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:03:25 am »

Or the fact that Dominion isn't Goko's only product, so there are other things you can spend Gokoins on.

Aaaaah, now that makes actually sense!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:47 am »

Actually it is less expensive to buy the Super Pack, it only costs $20 to buy 230 gokoins for the super pack compared to the $21 it would cost to buy 70 gokoins for $7 three times. I think that when they say that you can "save over 15%" they are referring to the 15% bonus they give you when you buy all your gokoins at once instead of individually.

It is very stupid to give you a 15% bonus (230 coins for the cost of 200) and then charge you back that bonus by increasing the cost of the super pack but math doesn't seem to be their strong suit.
That's their reasoning as well, and it doesn't make sense. If you buy the 230 Gokoins, you damn still buy the cheap sets with them.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:09:29 am »

If I were a Goko investor, I'd be concerned that their money people are apparently this clueless.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:15 am »

As it turns out, the cheapest way to get everything is a combination of buying a specific one of the "super packs" (comes with three sets), and then buying all the other sets individually. Then, you can go to the store and find the cheapest combination of Gokoin purchases that get you to the amount you need to buy everything. But WHY THE FUCK should I be forced to do all of that? Take my money and stop trying to confuse me with the purchase of extra currencies for which I have no need. I have Gokoins, regular coins, and real dollars, and I'm forced to do all kinds of idiotic conversions to figure out how much I'm actually paying for things. This is an awful trend - it's insulting, and it's used only to confuse people in an effort to separate them from more money than they'd otherwise spend.

I find it very hard to disagree with any of this. I've bought all the sets. I'm enjoying playing the game. But if they were actually setting out to convince me that they were a bunch of con artist they could hardly do a better job.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:22 am »
+1

I actually wonder if it's illegal false advertising - if they actually say it's cheaper. What I recall is that it said 'best value' or some such on the Mega pack, which is so far from true - except that it might be the best value for THEM, i.e. they get more money? But yeah, the concept of gokoins in general I have no problem with, but this I definitely do.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:02 am »

That's their reasoning as well, and it doesn't make sense. If you buy the 230 Gokoins, you damn still buy the cheap sets with them.

Ah, I see what I did there, I fell for their trickery. It is cheaper to buy the 230 coins in one go, but to buy the expansions individually...

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »
+1

I'm playing a game with Young Witch where Philosopher's Stone is the Bane Card. Is that a bug or can any card costing $3 or less be the bane, regardless of whether it has P in its cost? Never seen this on iso in any case.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 05:40:25 pm »
+2

I'm playing a game with Young Witch where Philosopher's Stone is the Bane Card. Is that a bug or can any card costing $3 or less be the bane, regardless of whether it has P in its cost? Never seen this on iso in any case.

That would be a bug.

Note that 3p > 3 because it costs an extra potion.  Also note that 2p is not less than 3 because of the extra p (but 3 is not less than 2p either).

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »
+1

That sounds like a bug. $ 3p> $3
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »

That would be a bug.

Note that 3p > 3 because it costs an extra potion.  Also note that 2p is not less than 3 because of the extra p (but 3 is not less than 2p either).
Jinx, you owe me a coke!
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »

That would be a bug.

Jinx, you owe me a coke!

We didn't say it at the same time.  I beat you by like 3 minutes. ;)

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:10 pm »

That would be a bug.

Jinx, you owe me a coke!

We didn't say it at the same time.  I beat you by like 3 minutes. ;)
Well. Maybe 30 seconds!  It was close enough I didn't get the red warning.  :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »

But we have time stamps!  I've got 3:40:25 and you've got 3:43:17 (my settings have it in MDT).

But now we are getting nitpicky when it was meant to be just fun.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:52 pm »
+1

I reposted the bug on the goko support forums, btw.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »

But we have time stamps!  I've got 3:40:25 and you've got 3:43:17 (my settings have it in MDT).

But now we are getting nitpicky when it was meant to be just fun.
Yes.  It's all good.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »
+2

That sounds like a bug. $ 3p> $3

More importantly, $3P ∉ {$2, $3}.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:30 am »
+1

More importantly, $3P ∉ {$2, $3}.

LastFootnote is technically correct--the best kind of correct.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.