Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Box Image and Description  (Read 40967 times)

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Box Image and Description
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2013, 11:24:07 am »
+9

I am so relieved. When the cards I play-tested were not in Hinterlands (where they seemed to belong), I worried they had been rejected and we would never see them. The mechanic "when you gain this, for each coin you over-spend, do x effect" is a lot of fun. It's great to finally be able to talk about it. Until the actual cards are published, that's all I can actually say, but still.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »

I'm glad that after the grim dark ages we can finally start having fun again.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:37 pm »
+2

The mechanic "when you gain this, for each coin you over-spend, do x effect"

I don't think this had been confirmed before just now to be how the mechanic works. Unless I missed previous clarification.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »

Well considering that such cards were playtested, it seems likely :(

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »

Well considering that such cards were playtested, it seems likely :(

Oh, quit boohooing. I don't know why you're so sure you won't like the mechanic. I think it's going to feel quite different than the on-gain and on-buy we're used to.

I don't think this had been confirmed before just now to be how the mechanic works. Unless I missed previous clarification.

It's the simplest way to interpret the description on the RGG site. Some folks just assumed that that couldn't be it (too close to Hinterlands) and tried to think of other mechanics that the blurb could be describing.

Cheer up, Watno! Butcher is more or less what you're looking for, if that Dutch site can be believed. So there's at least one card that allows you to spend extra when you play it for an additional effect.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:50:40 pm by LastFootnote »

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »

So for wild unfounded speculation's sake, how do we think these new mechanics will play in practice? My thoughts:

* +Buy will become less important, or at least face competition, since now you can cheerfully use your leftover cash on other things without the effort of picking up a Woodcutter or whatever. $2 cards may also face competition, although I bet we see an "overpay to gain another card" card which functions along the lines of "when you buy this +1 Buy"

* Cards that often lead to overpaying get stronger. I'm looking at Spoils, maybe Death Cart (although that's quite severe overpayment), Platinum (likewise) and probably some others.

* Planning is in, improvising is out of style (relatively speaking of course). You don't have to worry quite so much about shuffle luck since overpaying for the card you wanted won't hurt so much, and coin tokens obviously afford a measure of control over your cashflow, especially if they're available early.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2013, 04:12:11 pm »
+1

So for wild unfounded speculation's sake, how do we think these new mechanics will play in practice? My thoughts:

* +Buy will become less important, or at least face competition, since now you can cheerfully use your leftover cash on other things without the effort of picking up a Woodcutter or whatever. $2 cards may also face competition, although I bet we see an "overpay to gain another card" card which functions along the lines of "when you buy this +1 Buy"

* Cards that often lead to overpaying get stronger. I'm looking at Spoils, maybe Death Cart (although that's quite severe overpayment), Platinum (likewise) and probably some others.

* Planning is in, improvising is out of style (relatively speaking of course). You don't have to worry quite so much about shuffle luck since overpaying for the card you wanted won't hurt so much, and coin tokens obviously afford a measure of control over your cashflow, especially if they're available early.

Bear in mind that all of this is only relevant if one of the 13 Guilds cards is present in the kingdom.  If all 13 of the Guilds cards even have the "pay more" mechanic.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »

Bear in mind that all of this is only relevant if one of the 13 Guilds cards is present in the kingdom.  If all 13 of the Guilds cards even have the "pay more" mechanic.

Which I'd say it's a safe bet that they won't. Alchemy had cards without Potion in the cost. Hinterlands had cards without an on-Gain effect. Seaside had non-Durations. Etc.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2013, 05:10:16 pm »

I'm guessing we'll see 5 cards with the pay-more mechanic.

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »

This is just a tweak on Davio's "Safe" card. It functions very similarly (except with the cool card-as-a-mat part) but with a useful on-gain effect:

Investment - Action

$2
+1 Action

When you buy or play this, for each coin you didn't spend this turn, place on a coin token on your coin mat.

----------------------------------------------

And the rules would of course state that you can spend coin tokens during any consequntial buy phase. This would even help deal with the 5/2 split (if you don't start with identical hands, of course).

So if you start with $4 and buy Investment you will have 2 coin tokens on your mat and next turn you can buy something up to $5, and the same with a $3 start. Overall, this will help with bad luck draws and when you it's pivotal to reach $5 or $6.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:24:29 pm by CG19 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »

This is just a tweak on Davio's "Safe" card. It functions very similarly (except with the cool card-as-a-mat part) but with a useful on-gain effect:

Investment - Action

$2
+1 Action

When you buy or play this, for each coin you didn't spend this turn, place on a coin token on your coin mat.

And the rules would of course state that you can spend coin tokens during any consequntial buy phase. This would even help deal with the 5/2 split (if you don't start with identical hands, of course).

So if you start with $4 and buy Investment you will have 2 coin tokens on your mat and next turn you can buy something up to $5, and the same with a $3 start. Overall, this will help with bad luck draws and when you it's pivotal to reach $5 or $6.

How does this work when you play it? How do you know at the time which coins you haven't spent that turn?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »

Nothing really big, but RGG just released a High Resolution image of the box: http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1763

... still ugly.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:49 pm »

Nothing really big, but RGG just released a High Resolution image of the box: http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1763

... still ugly.

That's... very magenta.  I think the red may be a little high in this picture (note the red shadows on their hair and such) - it'll probably be toned down for the actual product.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:38:10 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:33 pm »

Investment - Action

$2
+1 Action

How does this work when you play it? How do you know at the time which coins you haven't spent that turn?

Hah, good catch. I meant to say, "When you buy this or while this is in play, at the start of your clean-up phase, place on a coin token on your coin mat for each unused coin."

It's not perfect, but you get what it's trying to do. If I work at it, I'm sure I could make it short and sweet.

EDIT
I actually like that. I wonder how short it would look on a card.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:22:22 pm by CG19 »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:01 pm »
+17

My first thought:

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:26 pm »

the guy on the right has a saw that looks like the saw in woodcutter...possibly an overpay-coin version of woodcutter will be in this set?
Go, and do likewise.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:11 pm »
+2

...possibly an overpay-coin version of woodcutter will be in this set?

If the card replicates an existing functionality, it will be really hard to price correctly. You can't make Overpay-Woodcutter $3 because it would be strictly superior. At $4, you need to be willing to trade a $5 card right now for the potential to use a saved coin later—that's a rough tradeoff. Maybe you make Overpay-Woodcutter +1 Buy, +1 coin so that it's not strictly superior at $3…I don't know. At any rate, making Overpay cards balanced is tricky.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:51 am »

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:20:53 pm by Hockey Mask »
-The Compulsive Completist

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:18 am »

Well, I didn't playtest them all. Just some. For all I know, the set might also include cards that match the other hypotheses described in this thread. Who can say? Also, for all I know, the cards I saw were changed to a different form of functionality after I saw them. It was years and years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.