Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's talk specific situations  (Read 2431 times)

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
Let's talk specific situations
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »

There should probably be a thread to discuss, "what would you do in this specific situation"? So, lets use this thread.

I had a tough choice today:
I have Mathematics and The Wheel on my board (as my only top cards). The 1 pile was depleted (mostly into our score piles), the 2 pile had 6 cards. Fermentation was either in the deck, or was the "2" achievement. I had Currency (age 2, one leaf) in my hand.
My choice: keep drawing with the wheel, to hopefully grab fermentation? Or start teching with Mathematics?

Things to consider:
There is a 1/7 chance fermentation is not in the deck
Icons: I had no leaves, but my opponent only had 1 or 2. (Most of them were in the various score piles.) I could control leaves once I got fermentation, but I would have to take meld actions to do so.
Math: I already had the 2 in hand, ready to go.

My decision: I went with Mathematics. Would others have done differently?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk specific situations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »

Uh.
I'm not even convinced Fermentation is the best 2 for you to draw in that situation.  Why do you think you need it so bad?  Do you just think it's the most powerful card in Innovation or something?  There's nothing about the game state that would be making you lean towards it, you only have 1 leaf.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:17 pm »

If you do not have leaves at all, fermentation is a very bad card. If you have 6 leaves, it would become better and when you have more than 10, it will become powerful. If you consider Mathematics, it is often a good card, even your opponent can share your dogma.

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »

Yeah that was my thought. I keep reading praises of it's prowess, but it wasn't the best choice there.

marco2012

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:32:36 am »

I would think at this way

1) Do your opponent have loads of leaves? If yes, find fermentation to block it (as well as getting age 3 card and then teching up. And if your opponent do not have loads of leaves, then
2) Do you have at least 6 leaves? With mathematics and the Wheel on your board, I assume you would have about 3-4 leaves on board after finding and meld fermentation. If not, then just tech up by using mathematics

I have one interesting situation here:

1) Your opponent is leading in bulb and clock, and you are leading in factory and crown
2) Your opponent is using Quantum theory to draw an 10 and draw and score a 10 last turn.
3) Your opponent's hand is less then 3 cards. (One of them is 10, and the others is not '7')
4) The '7' pile is non-empty
5) Your opponent have higher score, but he got less achievement then you (assume you have 4 achievements, and your opponent have 3)
6) You have a 'Explosive' in your hand.

Question: Will you use 'Explosive', knowing that there is a chance of backfire? (Your opponent will be able to draw an 11 if you use 'Explosive' and win the game)

HB

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:54:56 am »

There should probably be a thread to discuss, "what would you do in this specific situation"? So, lets use this thread.

I had a tough choice today:
I have Mathematics and The Wheel on my board (as my only top cards). The 1 pile was depleted (mostly into our score piles), the 2 pile had 6 cards. Fermentation was either in the deck, or was the "2" achievement. I had Currency (age 2, one leaf) in my hand.
My choice: keep drawing with the wheel, to hopefully grab fermentation? Or start teching with Mathematics?

Things to consider:
There is a 1/7 chance fermentation is not in the deck
Icons: I had no leaves, but my opponent only had 1 or 2. (Most of them were in the various score piles.) I could control leaves once I got fermentation, but I would have to take meld actions to do so.
Math: I already had the 2 in hand, ready to go.

My decision: I went with Mathematics. Would others have done differently?

i wouldnt go for fermentation since it would only draw you two cards and wheel already does that for you
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.