Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I Opened Duchess-Cache!  (Read 2007 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
I Opened Duchess-Cache!
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »

This game was notable due to the lack of anything notable in the kingdom! In particular, no drawing -- not even cantrips. I opened Duchess-Cache, and I am proud of it. Duchess is like a Silver early, and the Coppers from Cache don't hurt nearly as much as they otherwise would. I stuck with money and Cache early picking up one Bureaucrat (which I am not sure was that great), and got Duchesses with my Duchies mid-late game. That was it.

How would you have played it? Fewer Cache's? A Mine?

Harder question: In a kingdom with no drawing, cantrips, or heavy trashing, what cards (satisfying these constraints) would you hope to see in the kingdom to augment a pure money into Provinces (no alt-VP) strategy?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: I Opened Duchess-Cache!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »

Harder question: In a kingdom with no drawing, cantrips, or heavy trashing, what cards (satisfying these constraints) would you hope to see in the kingdom to augment a pure money into Provinces (no alt-VP) strategy?

Militia.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »

Hm. Could workshop/vineyards have been a thing here, with Bridge and Fishing Village and Duchess as cheap action piles? No cantrips, but Fishing Village is spammable, so you'd have enough actions for everything.   

For the harder question: Goons-BM is pretty darn good. Merchant Ship-BM is about on par with smithy-BM I think.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:06 pm »

Lookout/Workshop into Vineyards seems exceptionally strong here, especially since FV is in the kingdom.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:33:42 pm »

Lookout/Workshop into Vineyards seems exceptionally strong here, especially since FV is in the kingdom.

Lookout is a card that I am just terrible with and it always scares me that I'll be forced to trash something good. If you went this route, would you just get the opening Lookout, or eventually pick up others off of Bridge/Workshop turns? I can see why the early trashing is beneficial, but I'm not sure how to transition after that.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »

I would not get a second Lookout (at least, not for actual use), and it's true that the first Lookout will become more or less dead after a few plays, but even a little bit of deck trimming goes a long way towards building a good "engine" with no +cards in the kingdom. Deck tracking and card counting also marginally help to make decisions of whether to play Lookout later in the game.

Any other Lookouts are going to be gained later on purely for the Vineyards points. I doubt this will actually happen given the prevalence of other, more useful Actions at $2 and $3 in this kingdom.

The strong Vineyards enabler in this kingdom is not just Workshop, but also FV and Bridge. If you can play 2 Bridges in a turn, you can easily pick up Actions off all 3 buys, and Potions in hand won't go to waste.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:55:50 pm by dondon151 »

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

I did not even consider this. That could be very good.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

Hm. Could workshop/vineyards have been a thing here, with Bridge and Fishing Village and Duchess as cheap action piles? No cantrips, but Fishing Village is spammable, so you'd have enough actions for everything.   

For the harder question: Goons-BM is pretty darn good. Merchant Ship-BM is about on par with smithy-BM I think.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I think I would have to agree. Goons or Merchant Ship are definitely good options.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:36 am »

Mountebank perhaps?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.