Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Localized editions: 1st age alphabet ordering  (Read 4697 times)

elglin1982

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Localized editions: 1st age alphabet ordering
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:38 pm »
+5

The rules (both English and translated) clearly state that the player with the alphabetically first card goes first. However, I happen to be Russian and the translated card names obviously have a different ordering. The alphabetic ordering of the translated names is:
Oars
Pottery
City States
Tools
Agriculture
Archery
Masonry
The Wheel
Metalworking
Mysticism
Clothing
Sailing
Writing
Code of Laws
Domestication

The question is: is this reordering significant enough for the game balance to put in a house rule to follow the English ordering?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Localized editions: 1st age alphabet ordering
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »

This is quite hilarious.  In all honesty, I don't think that it matters (it doesn't really affect game balance), but it's an amusing problem.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »

I strongly disagree with theory.  The Russian ordering makes Domestication/Clothing even more overpowered than it is in the English ordering, and is reason enough to have a house rule.

A player that starts with a card with 2 or more castles in play will go first, and need to draw a card to keep shared Domestication from being a 2-for-1.  Then the Domestication/Clothing player gets two actions to work with in the initial score rush.  Contrast that with the Domestication player going first most of the time in English innovation: you only have one action to start rushing score with, and by the time you have two actions to work with, your opponent has already diversified his colors with Domestication sharing and normal drawing and melding.

That said, if you just slide Domestication to the top of your list from the bottom, you're probably just fine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:07:09 pm by popsofctown »

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:59:44 pm »

I don't understand. Is there a discussion somewhere that states Domestication/Clothing are better for the second player instead of the first? Is there a clear example how the second player is advantageous?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18:07 am »

IIRC the Iello English version also removed articles from the card names, though this only affects The Wheel in Age 1 (and even then, it only moves behind Tools).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:20 am »
+2

I honestly don't think there is any advantage/disadvantage to going first in Innovation like there is in some other games (I'm looking at you, Dominion). At least not in 2p anyway. There is a reason why the first player only gets 1 action, and it's a good one. After any player's turn (any turn) they have had exactly one more action than their opponent. Then their opponent plays a turn and has had exactly one more action than them. It's pretty well balanced this way, and I'm pretty sure it negates any potential first player (dis)advantage.

Edit: The alphabet thing is just a slightly different way of choosing the first player. I'm sure you could roll dice for it, or R/P/S for it, or winner/loser of the last game for it or whatever, and it wouldn't change the outcome of the game at all. I, personally, like the alphabet thing. It's different and fun. I think Carl Chudyk likes the alphabet thing too, as I've recently read the rules to another of his games, Glory To Rom... Uchronia (due to it being the BGG comp), and that uses exactly the same method of choosing a starting player.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:17:11 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:11 am »
+1

IIRC the Iello English version also removed articles from the card names, though this only affects The Wheel in Age 1 (and even then, it only moves behind Tools).

The Wheel starts with W anyways. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:12:19 am »

The Wheel starts with W anyways. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.
Crazy here.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AngelKurisu

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:03 pm »
+1

Yes, that will affect balance.  Not earth-shatteringly, but still.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.