Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dice on a Chess Board  (Read 1574 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Dice on a Chess Board
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:29:55 am »

So I had this idea for a game. To play it IRL you'd need a chess board, a bunch of dice in six colours, and a few cards. It's for 2 Players: the Indians with red dice, and the Eskimos with blue dice. There are four types of Resources: Time (yellow), Food (pink), Wood (green) and Steel (grey).

The initial set-up looks like this:

Note that each Square on the Board has room for 4 dice. To represent this I've divided each square into 4 quadrants, but for the sake of the game each is equivalent, so putting dice on the top two quadrants is the same as putting them on the bottom two.

The Squares initially containing red and blue dice are the Cities. Each one at the start of the game contains 2 groups of 6 people, represented by 2 dice with the 6 side facing up. The goal of the game is to completely remove your opponent from their City.

Each player starts off with 2 Time. At the start of each turn you collect 1 Time from one of the Time Squares which one of your dice is closest to; that is you reduce one of the dice on that Square by 1, and add 1 to the Time in your supply. You then may choose any Square which contains a Resource. For each player die with a 3 or higher facing up (d >= 3) on that square, the owner of the die collects 2 of that Resource. For each player die on an Adjacent Square (directly above, below or to the left or right) with d >=4, the owner collects 1 of that Resource. All Resources collected reduce the value of a die on the selected square, starting with the lowest in value. If a die is reduce to 0 it is removed from the board. If there are not enough resources, the player whose turn it is gets his first.

When spending Food, Wood or Steel, players simply reduce the amount in their supply. When spending Time, players must also add the relevant amount back to Time Square/s on the board. You are not allowed to return Time to a Square which your closest die is closer to than your opponent's closest die (closeness being defined by how many MOVE Actions it would take to get from one Square to another, even if doing so would be impossible due to going through a Square containing 4 dice).

After collecting resources, the active player may take as many Actions as he has the Resources for. The following table lists all possible Actions in the game, and the Resources (Time, Food, Wood and Steel) it costs to take them.

Range = n means you can Target a Square that would take n MOVE Actions to get to from your chosen Square (even if doing so would be impossible due to going through a Square containing 4 dice)
Each player can build only 1 of each type of Building, and IRL that would be tracked by taking the relevant card and placing it in front of you.

A couple more things.

At the start of the game, there is no specified Season. The first player to take the ADVANCE SEASON Action chooses a Season. From then on, the ADVANCE SEASON Action cycles the Seasons through Summer -> Autumn -> Winter -> Spring.
In {Summer, Winter}, during the {Indians’, Eskimoes’} turn, d>=n becomes d>=n-k, where k is that player’s Seasonal Advantage. At the start of the game k=1 for each player.
So, for example, if it is Summer and the Indians player's turn, then the Fists attack kills one enemy per friendly die of value >=3 instead of >=4 in the chosen Square.
IRL each player's Seasonal Advantage would be tracked by placing a die of their own colour on their University (once they have one).

Immediately at the start of Autumn, the event HARVEST takes place.
For each Wood Square, 2 Wood is added per Wood die in that Square, and 1 Wood per Wood die in adjacent Squares. If an Empty Square is adjacent to at least one Square containing 24 Wood, 1 Wood is added to it.
For each Food Square, 3 Food is added per Food die in that Square.
For each Steel Square, 1 Steel is added per Steel die in that Square.

Immediately at the start of Spring, the event NEW BIRTH takes place.
Each player may add up to one person to his City for each of his dice in it, and also up to one person for each die with d>=4 in it, all at the cost of 1 Food/Person.

Now this is an idea I came up with this afternoon. I have no idea if someone else has done something similar, and I have no idea if it will work as a game. But if anyone's interested, I'll like someone to test it with me. First in gets to play, and you can choose Indians or Eskimos, and who goes first.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
Re: Dice on a Chess Board
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »

Looks interesting. Haven't looked into detail, but when I do, I'll give you feedback.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »

It literally took me like an hour to put together, so don't expect it to feel like a finished product.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:53:06 am »

Anyone?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:24:12 am »

I want to see it happen, but I don't think it's a good idea for me to sign up for a new game I'd need to think too much about.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:56 am »

I want to see it happen, but I don't think it's a good idea for me to sign up for a new game I'd need to think too much about.

Same.

But I will say that I am not fond of the theme.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »

After reading through the rules, there's one thing I'm not sure of - how do you win?  :D

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »

The goal of the game is to completely remove your opponent from their City.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:41 pm »

That is, their starting square.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.