Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Spring cleaning  (Read 19627 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Spring cleaning
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:00 pm »
+1

We shuffled around the boards a little bit.  It helps us extend into non-Dominion games a little better, by consolidating everything Dominion-related under the Dominion category.

Also, yes, for a brief moment earlier today, everyone on the forum was asked if they wanted to install Wordpress.  rrenaud done goofed.  As punishment he will be forced to write the Possession code for Goko.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »

Good job.

I've always wondered if it would be easy to create a mod to easily show in which forum games it's your turn. Sometimes I read a thread where it's my turn so it disappears from my list and then totally forget to actually take my turn.

Probably requires too much hacking into the forum code, but oh well. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »

I think the Dominion FAQ forum belongs with the new Dominion section and not the meta section.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:03 pm »

I think the Dominion FAQ forum belongs with the new Dominion section and not the meta section.

Agreed; a board FAQ would be Meta, but Dominion FAQ is Dominion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »

Good call.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:08 pm »

As long as you're moving boards around, can I ask why the Dark Ages Preview is a child board of the Guilds Discussion board?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 05:43:13 pm »

Does this change the Ignore Board options at all?  I checked and I don't think any of mine have changed.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:59:41 pm »

General Dominion Discussion having about 7 child boards seems kinda wonky to me. Is there possibly a better way to organise the different Dominion discussions? I can't think of one, but it doesn't seem quite right currently.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:04:35 pm »

Yeah, it's kind of problematic.  I think there are just too many boards in general.  I suppose I can move Goko Beta and Isotropic to be subboards of Goko.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »

As long as you're moving boards around, can I ask why the Dark Ages Preview is a child board of the Guilds Discussion board?
They were originally together as part of a "speculation of future sets" board.  I think perhaps Guilds Discussion should be renamed Guilds Speculation to make the link more clear.

Does this change the Ignore Board options at all?  I checked and I don't think any of mine have changed.
It should not, and if it did, I would be very surprised and would like to know.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »

Maybe the FAQ could be put under rules questions? I guess the issue would be visibility though, right?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:44:40 pm »
+6

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the reorganization. Mostly, it seems like Innovation doesn't deserve so much forum space. This is the Dominion Strategy Forum, not the Isotropic Forums or A Few Specific Board Games Forum. It seems like this will likely further fracture an already fragile user base.

Also, having Isotropic Discussion nested under Goko Dominion is a bit insulting. Isotropic has nothing to do with Goko - isn't that the point? If we're having an Innovation subforum, at least put it there, since Innovation has more to do with Isotropic these days than Goko does.

Sorry to be critical Theory; I usually like the way you manage this website, but it seems like you're taking away the Dominion emphasis from a Dominion website.

EDIT: for grammar.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:21:03 am by Schneau »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:36 am »
+4

I don't mind criticism, honestly.  It's important to hear contrary viewpoints.

The Isotropic subforum, as it exists now, is all Dominion, so I categorized it with online Dominion as a Goko child.  I couldn't think of another place to put it -- it's mostly Dominion topics, so it seems weird to be in Innovation.  It could go to a new section, "Online Gaming Platforms", but does that mean Goko goes there too?

The bigger picture is that we're considering expanding this forum/site into covering more games than just Dominion -- not like BGG and trying to cover everything, but a subset of interesting deep games that can be played online with logs.  Innovation is the first step, and Twilight Struggle in a sense I had already started.  Maybe after that we'll add more games.

That having been said, it's very important to us that the existing f.ds community remains as it is.  Those aren't empty words -- we wouldn't try to expand if we thought it meant sacrificing what we already built.

What we are aiming for is that it turns out like Forum Games -- that stuff happens over in their section, and the Dominion stuff rolls on in the Dominion section.  We want to do for other games what we did for Dominion, and Innovation is an easy first step.  If it doesn't work out, then that's as far as we'll go.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:58:29 am »

The bigger picture is that we're considering expanding this forum/site into covering more games than just Dominion -- not like BGG and trying to cover everything, but a subset of interesting deep games that can be played online with logs.  Innovation is the first step, and Twilight Struggle in a sense I had already started.  Maybe after that we'll add more games.

I'm down. I like the idea that you're running the show, because you seem to have good taste in games, and I like the idea that maybe f.ds could actually be one-stop-shopping for significant board game discussion that is curated for a limited number of especially good games. (i.e., I'm not particularly fond of the bonanza that is BGG.)

So let's call me a supporter. But maybe you need a name other than Dominion Strategy Forum...

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 11:03:47 am »
+1

So let's call me a supporter. But maybe you need a name other than Dominion Strategy Forum...

cf. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7322.msg207777#msg207777

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:25:47 am »

I'm down. I like the idea that you're running the show, because you seem to have good taste in games, and I like the idea that maybe f.ds could actually be one-stop-shopping for significant board game discussion that is curated for a limited number of especially good games. (i.e., I'm not particularly fond of the bonanza that is BGG.)

Working on it!  We have a lot of things to do to get ready.  It hurts that neither of us have much experience with the technical backend of this.  I have no freaking idea how to set up email accounts and stuff.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 12:20:19 pm »
+2

The Isotropic subforum, as it exists now, is all Dominion, so I categorized it with online Dominion as a Goko child.  I couldn't think of another place to put it -- it's mostly Dominion topics, so it seems weird to be in Innovation.  It could go to a new section, "Online Gaming Platforms", but does that mean Goko goes there too?

That having been said, it's very important to us that the existing f.ds community remains as it is.  Those aren't empty words -- we wouldn't try to expand if we thought it meant sacrificing what we already built.

What we are aiming for is that it turns out like Forum Games -- that stuff happens over in their section, and the Dominion stuff rolls on in the Dominion section.  We want to do for other games what we did for Dominion, and Innovation is an easy first step.  If it doesn't work out, then that's as far as we'll go.

What about this... Under the main "Dominion" section, you have "Online Dominion" as a Subforum (same level as Dominion General, Dominion Articles, etc). Under the "Online Dominion" forum, you have child boards for Isotropic and Goko. Or, since Goko is the official one, just have Goko threads directly in "Online Dominion".

Just a thought!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »
+2

What about this... Under the main "Dominion" section, you have "Online Dominion" as a Subforum (same level as Dominion General, Dominion Articles, etc). Under the "Online Dominion" forum, you have child boards for Isotropic and Goko. Or, since Goko is the official one, just have Goko threads directly in "Online Dominion".

Just a thought!

I believe Goko Dominon's official name is "Dominion Online". Use that, and then it'll seem less weird that Isotropic Dominion is a child board of it!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »

Or just archive off the Isotropic Dominion somewhere? (Shedding a silent tear while you do of course)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:38 pm »
+1

You mean there's an option where I can disable seeing Forum Games from clogging up the recent posts?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

Theory, while you are shifting stuff about, can you rename the Logica Treasure Hunt board to 'Armchair Treasure hunts' and can we have a sub board called 'Completed'

We are branching out!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »

You mean there's an option where I can disable seeing Forum Games from clogging up the recent posts?

Yes, Profile / Ignore Boards Options

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards;u=239
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »

Yes, Profile / Ignore Boards Options

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards;u=239

To navigate there, click "Profile" from the top navigation bar.  Then it is an option under "Modify Profile".

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »

Just a thought!

I believe Goko Dominon's official name is "Dominion Online". Use that, and then it'll seem less weird that Isotropic Dominion is a child board of it!

Done.

I made a Innovation Isotropic briefly but decided against it.  The GD forum can burgeon a little more before getting split.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:49 pm »

Theory, while you are shifting stuff about, can you rename the Logica Treasure Hunt board to 'Armchair Treasure hunts' and can we have a sub board called 'Completed'

We are branching out!

Wait are you joking or are you serious?  I can never tell with Ozle posts.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:25:01 pm »

We are branching out!

Wait are you joking or are you serious?  I can never tell with Ozle posts.

Mission......accomplished!

(But it was Serious, I can get the Older Boy (Galz) to come and vouch for me if it helps?)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »

Do I make it publicly accessible too?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »

Deleted.  Thought I was in a different thread!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:33:04 pm by eHalcyon »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »

No to this, and yes to him being serious. :)
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »

Nope, the hunts need to be kept secret, its a cut throat world out there! There are real life prizes to be won!
Even when we did the Logica Hunt we had a couple of people from other teams request to join pretending to be normal forum members!

Possibly reword the description to :
Treasure Hunts You can solve From the Comfort of Your Armchair. PM Ozle for Access.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15:37 am »

Well its very existence is hidden, so if you can see the description you are already in I think.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:14 am »

Well its very existence is hidden, so if you can see the description you are already in I think.

Ahh right, i thought you could see the board in the listings but not have access. (As it already says PM Ozle for access)

Is this possible?

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:05 am »

It's not completely hidden.  If you go to your profile, then select group membership from the modify profile dropdown you will see that a "Logica Armchair Treasure Hunt" groups exists.  The description of the group is "PM Ozle for access".

Also, you have revealed its existence just by talking about it.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:21 am »

Its not a secret, just the information in it needs to be kept secret.

When it launched for a particular hunt we actively solicited for members

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:03 am »

Darn...should have made a 1st Rule.....joke!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:58 pm »

Darn...should have made a 1st Rule.....joke!
Or 2nd rule...?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:58 pm »

Took the forum down for a minute to add this change: now you can visit each category separately, e.g., http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?c=10 for just Innovation

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »

It's not completely hidden.  If you go to your profile, then select group membership from the modify profile dropdown you will see that a "Logica Armchair Treasure Hunt" groups exists.  The description of the group is "PM Ozle for access".

Also, you have revealed its existence just by talking about it.
So a treasure hunt to find the treasure hunt? Sounds good!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 07:22:03 pm »

As to making inaccessible boards viewable, that I'm afraid is not really feasible.  I can wrap your forum in a public forum, though, where the only topic is "Please PM Ozle for access".

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 07:26:19 pm »

If thats ok then sure. I'll put a description in that post about what its all about.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.