Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ideas for Goko to be better  (Read 14662 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Goko to be better
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 01:58:12 am »

I love how that's always the first question asked.  It's like when a wind player fucks up a note, the first thing they do is look down at their instrument to check the keys.

Obviously you've never played in a band or an orchestra.

I have, actually, as a violinist; I'm trying to understand how asking about a browser first is at all like checking the keys first.  Or was there no analogy implied, just the fact that it's always the first thing checked?

Awesome!  Bassoonist here.  The analogy was that there's always a first thing we check, and it's usually not what the problem is, but we still check.  And if Goko is really trying to be cross-platform, it shouldn't matter what your browser is.  All this stuff about "well, try clearing your cache" or "well, try refreshing" or "well, maybe it's your browser" really should not be an issue.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:10 am »

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:13 am »

I love how that's always the first question asked.  It's like when a wind player fucks up a note, the first thing they do is look down at their instrument to check the keys.

Obviously you've never played in a band or an orchestra.

I have, actually, as a violinist; I'm trying to understand how asking about a browser first is at all like checking the keys first.  Or was there no analogy implied, just the fact that it's always the first thing checked?

Wow. Which one are you? There are some very classy looking violinist in those pictures.  :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:39 am »

Wow. Which one are you? There are some very classy looking violinist in those pictures.  :)

Oddly enough, they're using pictures old enough that I'm still in the pictures... I think they must be from 2002 or 2003 given the other people there.  I'm the one who forgot to put on his bowtie before coming out for the official pictures.  :p
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »

Okay, so I went to try Goko for the first time in a while, and spent the last 20 minutes trying to find a pro game, and staring at room after room of games being played. This is not what I need.

EDIT: Now I finally find a pro game, from which I get kicked immediately. How am I supposed to have a pro rating if no one will play with someone without a rating?

EDIT the second: Hooray! twenty minutes into a base set pro game that I hosted, the other player seems to have either gone to sleep or disconnected after I bought a bunch of VP and am ready to end the game next turn.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:13:54 am by Drab Emordnilap »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:49 am »

I'll play you.  Name a time.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 12:13:34 am »

There's no way to find a specific player that I can find?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:19 am »

We'd meet in Outpost.  I'd start a game, you'd join.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:59 am »

We'd meet in Outpost.  I'd start a game, you'd join.

Posted up in Outpost now.

Narz

• Salvager
  • keeping it real
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:17 am »

New kind of freeze... I am able to type in the chat but nothing happens & it's stuck on an opponent's turn & no one else seems able to communicate either.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:46 am »

New kind of freeze... I am able to type in the chat but nothing happens & it's stuck on an opponent's turn & no one else seems able to communicate either.

When that happens, most likely your opponent left the game.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 01:47:44 am »

I'm not sure. I had this once too, but even after waiting for more than 5 minutes the game didn't end (as it's supposed to when an opponent quits).

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 03:41:43 am »

I'm not sure. I had this once too, but even after waiting for more than 5 minutes the game didn't end (as it's supposed to when an opponent quits).

The game will end if the opponent resigns. If the opponent quits by exiting the browser you are left hanging at least a few minutes. It could very well also be possible that the game froze on your end or your opponents end.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:37 am »

The game will end if the opponent resigns. If the opponent quits by exiting the browser you are left hanging at least a few minutes. It could very well also be possible that the game froze on your end or your opponents end.

As far as I can remember in actual quits I experienced, the game ended after like 2 minutes. I don't know whether the header actually says "Opponent Quit", but the opponent's avatar is crossed out and you end up with +0 points in the leaderboard table. This is different than a resign.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:36 am »

EDIT: Now I finally find a pro game, from which I get kicked immediately. How am I supposed to have a pro rating if no one will play with someone without a rating?

At least for me, if it's a name I recognize from the forum, I won't kick.

But if you must increase your pro rating quickly, play a few "pro" games against a bot.  You can get to 4k-ish--equivalent to, perhaps, Iso level 10--in four or five games.  Yeah, it feels like gaming the system, but the system is still a bit screwy.  They really ought to start the pro ratings closer to where the bots are (3k-ish)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:09 am »
+3

Goko should have a Buddy List where you can see friends who are online and invite them to play.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »

Start a pro game and add a bot to it. It still is a pro game. I did this to get my pro rating to acceptable ~4500 level so that people will want to play with me. Didn't have time to test what effect it has (I switched to adventures to get Envoy), but I guess now when I will start pro tables with all sets available I will have no problem finding and opponent.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »
+2

I wish Goko would let prospective players know which sets are available at each table instead of me having to write "All cards" every time.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 02:30:51 pm »

I suggest you make your suggestions where Goko might actually read them, at getsatisfaction.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »
+1

The goko staff do not browse here, they read getsatisfaction.com/goko , you should post things there if you want them seen. Donald X browses here sometimes, but there's a reasonable chance he's seriously tired of goko threads and doesn't check them anymore, so there's no guarantee.

Why on Earth would the Goko staff not browse a site dedicated to the game they are building a platform around?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 04:39:08 pm »

The goko staff do not browse here, they read getsatisfaction.com/goko , you should post things there if you want them seen. Donald X browses here sometimes, but there's a reasonable chance he's seriously tired of goko threads and doesn't check them anymore, so there's no guarantee.

Why on Earth would the Goko staff not browse a site dedicated to the game they are building a platform around?

They do sometimes, just not as much as, well, as the rest of us do.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:06 am »

I think they are understaffed. It seems jgs is the only one who reads on GS, and that seems a bit backlogged at the moment. So, if GS is backlogged then chances are Goko staff aren't reading these forums.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 01:50:35 am »
+2

How much staff do you really need to read f.DS?

(Related question: how many Goko VPs does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:39 am »
+4

Six. One to program the lightbulb, two to fix the way it works, two to monetize it, and one to explain to the community why it won't quite be fixed for another week.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 03:39:45 am »
+4

Six. One to program the lightbulb, two to fix the way it works, two to monetize it, and one to explain to the community why it won't quite be fixed for another week.
And one more to turn off all the lights in the other (much nicer!!!) room.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.