Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Why is Possession so much fun?  (Read 7747 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Why is Possession so much fun?
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:51 pm »

At least, when you're using an AI to get 3 Provinces in a row.  All while preventing him from ever Possessing you.  I sure can see why some people hate this card.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130316/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1363461309552.txt
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Possession so much fun?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:39 pm »

Possession is seriously a really fun card. It completely changes the dynamic of the game. One of my last games on Isotropic involved Grand Markets, Fool's Gold, Apprentice, and Monument. My opponent won the FG split 8-2... but I picked up Possession and he didn't. I picked up more points through Possession than I did by myself... and I only possessed him twice.

It's probably one of the most strategic cards, and that's why I like it so much.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:43 am »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130316/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1363461309552.txt

is there a reason you dont use the goko log addon? Then you would outomatically get a link for a prettified game log.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:37 am »

is there a reason you dont use the goko log addon? Then you would outomatically get a link for a prettified game log.

I'm lazy?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:44:28 am »
+1

Possession is amazing...  I think the craziest game I've ever had was one where I bought a bunch of king's courts, possessions, bishops, then any victory card I could.  I was getting all my victory cards from possessing my opponent.  He couldn't use any of my cards.  Near the end one time he possessed my hand three turns in a row, and couldn't do anything each time.  I won in the end.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »

I just played a game where I KC'd my Possession against a bot, but the bot had mostly just bought Beggars, which were useless to me.
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:08:59 pm »

I just played a game where I KC'd my Possession against a bot, but the bot had mostly just bought Beggars, which were useless to me.

Unless you have a Counting House in hand.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:11:20 pm »

Its just…so awesome…
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:21:42 pm »
+2

I don't really understand why killing a bot over and over again is so fun.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 08:24:19 pm »
+4

I don't understand why playing solitaire Dominion is so fun.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:51:20 pm »
+1

The bots aren't that bad. They're not top level skill, but they're okay. Sir Bottington is probably equivalent to about level 15 on Iso, maybe a little higher.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:34 pm »

Don't you know the difference between a clever comeback and a non sequitur?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:53:29 pm »

Don't you know the difference between a clever comeback and a non sequitur?

I do.  It's not a non sequitur if you're referencing something previous in a related way.  A non sequitur would have been "I don't understand how charged particles communicate the sign of their charge to each other."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:18:59 am »
+2

The bots aren't that bad. They're not top level skill, but they're okay. Sir Bottington is probably equivalent to about level 15 on Iso, maybe a little higher.

I find Conqueror Bot to be the toughest.

You prefer killing actual humans over and over again? You monster!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:22:04 am by LastFootnote »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:27 am »

I find that, in many games, the bots play fairly well, but every once in a while there is some hiccup in the AI and they start doing ridiculously silly stuff that even a poor human player wouldn't do.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:09:52 am »

It's not a non sequitur if you're referencing something previous in a related way.

1. No, not necessarily, because:
2. What does playing solitaire have anything to do with beating bots?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:11:23 am by dondon151 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:18:47 am »
+4

It's not a non sequitur if you're referencing something previous in a related way.

1. No, not necessarily, because:
2. What does playing solitaire have anything to do with beating bots?

Sigh.  Explaining things always makes them less funny.

A few days ago, you went on about how playing solitaire games made you such a great Dominion player.  This is one of the features you like about isotropic. 

I post a log of a game played on Goko with a bot.  This is one feature at least some people like about Goko.

So, when you said you don't understand why someone would enjoy playing a bot (a feature unique to Goko), then I countered by saying I don't understand why someone would enjoy playing solitaire (a feature unique to iso).

Get it yet?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:35:33 am »
+2

Solitaire games aren't a feature unique to iso.
You can play them at Goko in the secret chamber lobby.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:10 pm »

Sigh.  Explaining things always makes them less funny.

A few days ago, you went on about how playing solitaire games made you such a great Dominion player.  This is one of the features you like about isotropic. 

I post a log of a game played on Goko with a bot.  This is one feature at least some people like about Goko.

So, when you said you don't understand why someone would enjoy playing a bot (a feature unique to Goko), then I countered by saying I don't understand why someone would enjoy playing solitaire (a feature unique to iso).

Get it yet?

No, I don't get it, because the two have nothing to do with each other. Nowhere did I exalt the entertainment and fun value of playing solitaire (it is in fact boring under most circumstances), nor did I criticize bot play as being a detriment to player skill (though I will do it now: playing random kingdoms against bots is probably about as constructive as playing against level 0 opponents on Iso).

I originally suspected that this was some sort of childish personal dig but gave you the benefit of the doubt. Turns out I was right.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
+8

Stop this.  It is unbecoming on both of you.

Master Shuffler

• Chancellor
  • alts: Copy Me and Win, GOJIRA
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:13 pm »

The one time I played a bot with possession on the board, they didn't buy a potion until I had set up a scheme+possession thingy. If it was a human opponent I would have chastised them for attempting to copy me.
byebye iso

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

One interesting point is that from the discussion it seems possession is an interesting card to play with a bot but not as much so when playing against a human player.

Of course this comes from that the bot won't be upset about being possessed. :P

Oh, and playing against a bot should obviously be at least as good as playing solitaire; nothing prohibits you from being scientific and play whatever you want to try in solitaire, and it also provides a baseline.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:52:43 am by timchen »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 03:02:24 am »

Oh, and playing against a bot should obviously be at least as good as playing solitaire; nothing prohibits you from being scientific and play whatever you want to try in solitaire, and it also provides a baseline.

I know, but this is not what I was implying. The distinction that I intended to make was that there is a difference between studying specific games in solitaire and playing random games against a bot.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:35 am »

One interesting point is that from the discussion it seems possession is an interesting card to play with a bot but not as much so when playing against a human player.

Well, only if you like to win all the time. I for one, relish the mind-bendyness: you need a good enough deck to buy possession in the first place, and to get it reliably, but then you need a crappy enough deck that your opponent can't do much with it, all the while trying to make sure your opponent's deck is better than yours since you'll use their deck more often. So many technical challenges! You even have to stop thinking about 'my' deck and 'your' deck almost, which is an interesting idea... definitely my favourite games from a technical standpoint come from possession. I think most people get angry "What are you doing with MY deck!" as opposed to thinking the card through.

The problem with bots is that they are unlikely to (aka cannot at all) come up with novel ways of playing a possession set, whereas a human player is more likely to do so, for example, your opponent buying hoard to stuff your deck full of gold, so they can use that gold to buy provinces, buying bishop or monument to fill their deck with cards that give them points if you play them and much much more!

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:46 am »

What is this thing of which you speak?  I know it not.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 21 queries.