Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: trading one iso for another iso  (Read 12137 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
trading one iso for another iso
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:53 pm »
+5

I don't know if this was the intention with putting Innovation of isotropic, but man is it GENIUS.  What site is popular with THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE playing daily?  Dominion isotropic.  What site is being shut down soon due to an official online verion?  Dominion isotropic.  What are these thousands of people going to do when dominion isotropic goes down?  They are going to look for new ways to spend there time.  A logical replacement is either Dominion on Goko or Innovation on isotropic.  Given the public response to Goko, I'd wager that many people will give Innovation a try (including me).  And if anyone is like me they will quickly fall in love with Innovation and end up buying the game.

I haven't started playing innovation yet (haven't even made it completely through the rulebook) but I'm gonna throw this phrase out there now and see if it happens....

Level 40 or Bust!

See ya guys on isotropic
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: trading one iso for another iso
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:34:18 am »

Yeah, there was the whole thing about Carl Chudyk being "the man who said no to Goko" not long ago. And now, at the time when Goko is forcing the closure of a very popular and active gaming platform for Dominion, Carl Chudyk's game gets released on that very platform. Seems to me to be a very good idea for business and I would not be surprised if this implementation was more Carl's idea than Dougz's. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dougz was offered money to implement Innovation (although I expect he would turn such an offer down, as he doesn't seem to do these things for money).

This is all, of course, baseless speculation. Do not quote me on any of it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:14:19 am »

Yeah, there was the whole thing about Carl Chudyk being "the man who said no to Goko" not long ago. And now, at the time when Goko is forcing the closure of a very popular and active gaming platform for Dominion, Carl Chudyk's game gets released on that very platform. Seems to me to be a very good idea for business and I would not be surprised if this implementation was more Carl's idea than Dougz's. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dougz was offered money to implement Innovation (although I expect he would turn such an offer down, as he doesn't seem to do these things for money).

I actually sent lautapelit.fi (a Finnish board game publisher) a message in which I told them that I wish them to get the rights to publish a Finnish version of Innovation so that I can purchase it and play it with people who don't understand English, all because of Isotropic. Well they replied that they are not currently planning to publish Innovation in Finnish, but it was worth trying.

Sorry, I quoted you anyway.  :P
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

gryph202

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »

Carl Chudyk wasn't the guy who said no to Goko.  Chris Cieslik was.  He posts here as "AngelKurisu," I believe.

Chris C. is to Asmadi Games as Jay Tummelson is to Rio Grande Games.  Jay was the guy who had to say yes to Goko, and Chris was the guy who said no.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:39:07 pm »

Carl Chudyk wasn't the guy who said no to Goko.  Chris Cieslik was.  He posts here as "AngelKurisu," I believe.

Chris C. is to Asmadi Games as Jay Tummelson is to Rio Grande Games.  Jay was the guy who had to say yes to Goko, and Chris was the guy who said no.

Errr... yeah. Their names are very similar to me and I get confused :(

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:42:57 pm »

Errr... yeah. Their names are very similar to me and I get confused :(

It's all good.  I just thought I should clarify.  Chris Cieslik publishes Innovation, but Carl Chudyk was the game's designer.  Donald X. is to Dominion as Carl Chudyk is to Innovation.   :P

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »
+1

Unfortunately I promised my real life friends that I wouldn't play much innovation online so that I wouldn't get any better.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:58 pm »

Sometimes I'm not sure those two things are connected >_<
(<<< has more games played than every player ranked above him except 1)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »

I'm still curious about how Innovation ended up on isotropic.  Who approached whom?  That sort of thing.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »

Unfortunately I promised my real life friends that I wouldn't play much innovation online so that I wouldn't get any better.

Hah, my friend jokingly claimed that the worse you are at this game, the more likely you are to win!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:37 pm »
+3

Hah, my friend jokingly claimed that the worse you are at this game, the more likely you are to win!

I must be amazing at Inno then...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AngelKurisu

• Innovation Publisher
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:43:34 am »
+8

Doug approached me, although I secretly had a crush on Isotropic Dominion for a long time.

Third grade style <3!

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:28 pm »

Doug approached me, although I secretly had a crush on Isotropic Dominion for a long time.

Third grade style <3!

That doesn't surprise me.  I know there's some debate out there over whether Inno or Dominion is better suited to the Iso platform, but there is not a doubt in my mind that Inno is very well-suited.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:09:41 pm »
+1

I still wish to see EmDo on Isotropic.  I could probably even the game mechanics!  Alas, if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating "beef."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »

I actually tried Innovation now that dominion is down, and it is quite awesome. Currently more fun than Goko  :'(

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »

Third grade style <3!

AngelKurisu:
I've seen a number of posts on here by you.
Not to be too direct, but, who are you?
Are you the designer? The publisher?

Either way, could you talk about your background, etc?

Ed

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »
+2

I gave him his title.

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:07:06 am »

Third grade style <3!

AngelKurisu:

Ed

Pardon me if it sounds a bit presumptive of me to speak up here, but "AngelKurisu" is in fact Chris Cieslik (sp?) of Asmadi Games.  His relationship to Innovation is similar to Jay Tummelson's relationship to Dominion, i.e. he publishes the game that Carl Chudyk designed.  I believe Chris has done some design work of his own (e.g. "We Didn't Playtest This Game" et. al), but as Innovation's North American publisher, Chris gave DougZ the go-ahead to implement Inno on Iso.

Anything you'd like to add and/or correct here, Chris?  Or did I about cover it?

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:09 am »

I got the same thing from my fiancee.  :(

Love Iso Innovation though, and purchased the game last week to play IRL. WTG everyone involved!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08:53 am »

Third grade style <3!

AngelKurisu:

Ed

Pardon me if it sounds a bit presumptive of me to speak up here, but "AngelKurisu" is in fact Chris Cieslik (sp?) of Asmadi Games.  His relationship to Innovation is similar to Jay Tummelson's relationship to Dominion, i.e. he publishes the game that Carl Chudyk designed.  I believe Chris has done some design work of his own (e.g. "We Didn't Playtest This Game" et. al), but as Innovation's North American publisher, Chris gave DougZ the go-ahead to implement Inno on Iso.

Anything you'd like to add and/or correct here, Chris?  Or did I about cover it?
Time for an interview topic? :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AngelKurisu

• Innovation Publisher
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:14 am »
+1

Yes, I run Asmadi Games, and helped Carl develop Innovation into the awesomeness that it became. 

I am hugely in favor of this implementation's existence.  It's great to be able to play the game cleanly and quickly online!

Iello I believe plans to release a digital version at some point, but they're in Europe so I'd like to think this version will be unaffected. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:29:38 am »
+1

Any chance you can get Carl onto here as well?  :-)  Do some secret histories, answer some design questions, etc.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 10:45:06 am »

Yes, I run Asmadi Games, and helped Carl develop Innovation into the awesomeness that it became. 

I am hugely in favor of this implementation's existence.  It's great to be able to play the game cleanly and quickly online!

Iello I believe plans to release a digital version at some point, but they're in Europe so I'd like to think this version will be unaffected.

i've asked before and i'm going to ask again
is there anything i can do to get figure in the sands on isotropic? i swear that even though i never created a graphic interface,i can still code and i have tons of free time
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:46:07 am by teasel »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:05 pm »

You can't promise though?

gryph202

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:47:16 am »

You can't promise though?

I don't speak for Chris Cieslik or Asmadi games. 

That being said, I think the circumstances are vastly different.  The licensing for Dominion was done by language, as it is for most games.  In other words, RGG gets the license to publish all english-language versions of Dominion regardless of where they are released.  Innovation, on the other hand, was licensed by region.  The Iello English-language version is sold to retailers in Europe, primarily the UK, while Asmadi handles the first-level distribution in (North?) America.

It begs credulity, as far as I'm concerned, that Chris would want to do anything to jeopardize the IsoInno that he himself helped implement, but who knows?  As I said at the beginning of the post, I don't speak for him.  I'm just excited that Iso lives and I have my tabletop coppy of Inno.  :)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.