Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Conquest - The 3s  (Read 14334 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Conquest - The 3s
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:50 pm »

Next batch of 3s:

Recycle
Action-Reaction      3
Trash up to two cards; +1 card for every card trashed this way

The set's early trasher which has a little late-game relevance and some interaction with itself and/or opponent's trashers. A little worried that opening double recycle could be too good, reacting to itself, but I'm not TOO hugely worried. Not a lot to say here.

This is an excellent example of how you might have to price according to opening possibilities rather than raw power level.  Or at least it might be.  I can't really envision how this would play out in practice.  But if it is too powerful if opening Recycles collide, that would be kind of a bad thing, as the outcome of the game might depend too much on the luck of that first shuffle.

Now that I think a bit more about it only the action part, maybe it needs to go to $4 anyway.  Let's compare with Masquerade, which we know to be an elite $3 opener.  Its power is subtle, because it doesn't do any one thing super well, so it's not conspicuously a power card.  But it does three great things even if you disregard the "pass a card around" thing.  (1) It draws; (2) It trashes; and (3) arguably not a distinct third feature, but it lets you have a useful turn despite trashing on it.   That last item is really important, as it's pretty much the only thing that makes Chapel more obscene than it is and keeps Steward at "merely" strong.

This card is probably slightly better than Masquerade.  It can draw the same amount, trash double the amount, and the only drawback is it leaves you with a 20% smaller hand when it's all done.  Alternately, it trashes an equal amount and draws one less.  That flexibility itself adds to the card's strength.

I'm not entirely confident in my own line of speculation.  Masquerade (and therefore this) are subtle enough that I  might well be missing an important nuance.  It might play fine at $3.  But I wouldn't be surprised, either, if you playtested this and discovered you had an elite $5 card on your hands, more powerful even than Trading Post.  So tough to say.

Experience
Treasure-Reaction   3
Worth $2
Gain a treasure card worth at most the number of coppers you have in play.

Well, I'm not really thrilled with the 'main' function of the card, but I want it to be a treasure, and I'd like to keep the cost 3. As is, this should really cost 4 or maybe 5, I'm aware. But I love the reaction function, though I don't actually think it's all THAT powerful... I have a few other ideas for treasures floating around, and I'll probably attach it to one of them.

I kind of like both halves of this card.  The action part probably needs a Copper strategy to be really useful, but I think we could use a few more Copper strategy cards.  Even though most of them are usually weak, they open the game up to other possibilities.

Silversmith
Action         3
+1 buy
Every silver produces $2 more this turn.

Not a lot to say here. Probably almost as weak as coppersmith is.

This is my favorite of this batch.  Silversmith is not an original idea, but it's the first incarnation of it I've seen that solves its problems.  At $1 more, it's not nearly as interesting as Coppersmith, just because you don't start out with 7 Silvers, and by the time you have enough Silvers, you'd rather have Golds.  By offering +$2, Silversmith is a more viable proposition, and by offering +Buy, the potential cash you can rake in doesn't have to be wasted.

But are you sure $3 is the right price?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »

RE: The power level of recycle. I think it's probably USUALLY slightly worse than masq (clearly though, the answer lies in testing). Here's why:
Miss the passing, which is key for masq as it limits opponent's trashing. This isn't all that big.
You trash BEFORE you draw. This is huge.
You don't get the draw without trashing, which makes this much less worse late game.

Re: The pricing of silversmith.
I really have no idea. It's probably just not a super strong card anyway. But the reason it's $3 right now is Donald's "make it the cheapest you can (without it being overpowered)" maxim; this can be 3 because at 3 it still competes with silver, the very card you need to make this work.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »

Excellent points concerning Recycle.  Agreed.

With Silversmith, I just wonder about the average/edge-case effects of the card.  With Coppersmith, you start out with lots of Coppers and so are more likely to be able to get a benefit out of it.  But the upside in a normal hand is +$4, and that would be somewhat unusual.  The average would be +$1 or +$2, with a real shot at +$3.

With Silversmith, one has to think more about Baron and Tournament to get a feel for the probability that you'll collide with your Silvers.  The difference is you probably don't mind more Silvers than you normally would want Estates and Tournaments, so collision will be slightly easier.  Still, it's the same principle at work.

When you do collide, +$2 is the minimum, and +$4 doesn't seem very far-fetched.  And a whopping +$6 probably happens a decent amount of time.  Off-hand, I don't know of any other $3 card that offers a decent shot at just +$4 (Secret Chamber doesn't count), let alone an outside shot at +$6.  With a +Buy.  A couple of Silversmiths in a village/draw engine could probably produce double-Province turns a little too easily.  Admittedly, the Silvers themselves could potentially clog up the engine, but you'd probably only need two or three.

Yet again, though, I can't visualize it well enough without playtesting to be confident in my sense of this.  This card interests me enough, though, that I'd kind of like to playtest it myself.  I'll report back with my findings.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

Silversmith
Action         3
+1 buy
Every silver produces $2 more this turn.

Not a lot to say here. Probably almost as weak as coppersmith is.

This is my favorite of this batch.  Silversmith is not an original idea, but it's the first incarnation of it I've seen that solves its problems.  At $1 more, it's not nearly as interesting as Coppersmith, just because you don't start out with 7 Silvers, and by the time you have enough Silvers, you'd rather have Golds.  By offering +$2, Silversmith is a more viable proposition, and by offering +Buy, the potential cash you can rake in doesn't have to be wasted.

But are you sure $3 is the right price?

I had a similar card in my expansion. It is worth 4$, but it also reduces the cost of buying a Silver by 1 (but never less than 2). So even 1 silver and this card lets you acquire 2 silvers. This is of course, meant to complement the theme of my expansion. But this card has caught my eye, as I wish to have a similar card, and if this card is clean and viable at 3, perhaps I can 'poach' it as is and just put it in as WW designed it.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, I rarely contribute as I feel my reactions are poorly educated, but rest assured I do watch this expansion develop with great interest.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »

What happens if Silversmith occurs on a board with Chapel?  Is it super good?  I have a hard time telling, but it seems like you could very easily get into a place of having a relatively rapidly growing deck that's almost entirely composed of Silver, and could often buy Province + Silver (you can do that with Silversmith + 3 Silver), and maybe that's a problem.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »

What happens if Silversmith occurs on a board with Chapel?  Is it super good?  I have a hard time telling, but it seems like you could very easily get into a place of having a relatively rapidly growing deck that's almost entirely composed of Silver, and could often buy Province + Silver (you can do that with Silversmith + 3 Silver), and maybe that's a problem.

Ooh, yeah, I hadn't even thought of Chapel decks.  Seems like it wouldn't be hard to get 2 Silversmith + 2 Silver in such a situation, which is a double Province turn -- or Province + Silversmith + Silver, which sustains that super buying power for longer.  I suspect Remake is a great alternative to Chapel, too, as it gets rid of the Coppers and turns the Estates directly into Silvers, which surely makes up for the slower trashing speed.  Steward might be sufficient too.

I'll be sure to test Silversmith in all of heavy-trashing, light-trashing, and no-trashing setups and see how it plays.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »

So, I tested a version of Silversmith priced at $5.  Buying only Province, Silversmith, and Silver, preferring them in that order until I had, I dunno, 4 or so Silversmiths -- at that point they seemed to collide too often -- I was able to get to 4 Provinces in 15 turns consistently.  I then tried a couple games where I bought a couple Villages within turns 3-5, but as it turned out I never managed to get a double-Silversmith turn.  I suspect that was merely unlucky.

Then I threw Chapel into the mix, opening Chapel/Silver.  I was able to get to 4 Provinces in 12 turns consistently.  6 Provinces in 15 or so.  Finishing with a double-Province turn wasn't uncommon.

I'm not up on what the Big Money + X benchmarks are for this, but isn't that a bit fast?  At this point I worry if it's overpowered even costing it at $5 and removing the +Buy.  But maybe that would be fine.  I did use the +Buys quite a lot, usually for buying Province+Silver or Silver+Silver.  (Silversmith+Silver would have required 8 coins, but I was always buying Provinces with 8+.)  But my suspicion is that reducing the bonus to +$1 per Silver -- even keeping the +Buy and the $3 cost -- would be an over-correction.

More later, I expect.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:22 pm »

So, I tested a version of Silversmith priced at $5.  Buying only Province, Silversmith, and Silver, preferring them in that order until I had, I dunno, 4 or so Silversmiths -- at that point they seemed to collide too often -- I was able to get to 4 Provinces in 15 turns consistently.  I then tried a couple games where I bought a couple Villages within turns 3-5, but as it turned out I never managed to get a double-Silversmith turn.  I suspect that was merely unlucky.

Then I threw Chapel into the mix, opening Chapel/Silver.  I was able to get to 4 Provinces in 12 turns consistently.  6 Provinces in 15 or so.  Finishing with a double-Province turn wasn't uncommon.

I'm not up on what the Big Money + X benchmarks are for this, but isn't that a bit fast?  At this point I worry if it's overpowered even costing it at $5 and removing the +Buy.  But maybe that would be fine.  I did use the +Buys quite a lot, usually for buying Province+Silver or Silver+Silver.  (Silversmith+Silver would have required 8 coins, but I was always buying Provinces with 8+.)  But my suspicion is that reducing the bonus to +$1 per Silver -- even keeping the +Buy and the $3 cost -- would be an over-correction.

More later, I expect.

Way too fast, yes. That's disappointing a bit, dunno if it would be salvageable. Maybe if you ditch the buy and keep it at 2...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:16 pm »

Fiefdom
Treasure-Victory   3
Worth $1 for every victory card in play.

This is one of my favorite cards. I don't think it's too overpowering to chain with itself, but I suppose with chapel and lab it MIGHT be a bit much. But usually it'll be copper+estate or $1.5 + Estate, which is really quite reasonable.

Footsoldier
Action-Victory      3
+$2

Simple, boring, and probably balanced, if a bit weak.

Castle
Action         3
Choose one: Set aside a victory card from your hand onto your Castle mat, or +$1 for every card on your castle mat and a card from your castle mat into your hand.

An interesting pseudo-trasher, I really have no idea how strong it is without any playtesting. Might be worthless, might be broken (might be both!)

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

I'm not entirely sure that saying that 12 turns for chapel+X is "way too fast" ; there are several comboes with that kind of fast trashing that exist in the game (not a TON, but there are also not a lot of buy-and-money-generating actions out there).  15 with BM+X is pretty standard.

I'd still say it's maybe 1 turn too fast, for such simple strats, but there are games that end on 12 already.  (Not a lot of them..)  without the +buy i'm sure it'd be far slower.

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:04 am »

Fiefdom
Treasure-Victory   3

This is one of my favorite cards. I don't think it's too overpowering to chain with itself, but I suppose with chapel and lab it MIGHT be a bit much. But usually it'll be copper+estate or $1.5 + Estate, which is really quite reasonable.
You mean in hand? Considering that Harem, Nobles and Great Hall are the only playable victory cards (Island removes itself from play immediately).

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 08:25:53 am »

Fiefdom
Treasure-Victory   3

You mean in hand? Considering that Harem, Nobles and Great Hall are the only playable victory cards (Island removes itself from play immediately).

I tripped up on that too, but note that Fiefdom is itself a Victory card, so if nothing else Fiefdoms will operate off themselves.  It makes me a little nervous that in most games that's all they'll be able to do, while in a few they become potentially a lot more powerful.  But it doesn't immediately strike me as game-breaking, just a couple of combos that are unusually self-evident.  So I suspect this card will work.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:40 am »

Fiefdom is a Victory card so it's worth at least $1 every time you play it. If you play more than one, the value of the later ones increase with each already played, just like Bank. Also, Footsoldier is a Victory card, and I'm sure there will be a number of playable Victory cards announced later on in this double-fan-expansion which will improve the value of Fiefdom.

play2draw

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »

Fiefdom would certainly make Ironworks/Great Hall a devastating, and probably broken, combo. Fiefdom seems like a card I might purchase en-masse without other playable victory cards in the Kingdom, and it seems like an interesting alternative to normal treasures.

I don't think I would ever really buy Footsoldier... perhaps if I had an Ironworks and an abundance of +actions. People already ignore cards like Woodcutter when there are superior options to +buy, and I think the +buy the Woodcutter gives would be much more useful than the 1 VP of Footsoldier.

Castle seems interesting. For wording purposes, I think it needs the clause stating that the cards on the castle mat are returned to your deck at the end of the game, and I think you accidentally the word "return".

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »

Hmmm, again, how does Fiefdom do with Chapel?

If you can Chapel away 7 of your opening cards by the second reshuffle, and then finish off the other 3 in the 3rd shuffle (which happens quickly, of course), and otherwise you just buy Fiefdom, how does that work?

A hand of 4 Fiefdoms is a Province, right?  $1 + $2 + $3 + $4 = $10.  Okay, that's probably not terrible.  3 Fiefdoms are just 3 Silvers, but less good.  In fact, Fiefdom might be a little too bad, that being the case.

What about Great Hall?  With a GH -> 3 Fiefdoms, it's $2 + $3 + $4 = $9.

GH + Fiefdom + a strong trasher (Chapel of course, but Steward?  Remake (which can do Estates->GH or Fiefdom)?)  Might be that you'd also need +buy to make that worthwhile, at which point it's a fragile 4 card combo, so meh.  Fiefdom sounds fine.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:48 pm »

My side-comment to this:

I see a lot of Variant comments that mention Chapel. While it's an important consideration to be sure, I think we need to remember Chapel is a GAME CHANGER on a lot of boards. It is, to be blunt, probably the most undervalued card in Dominion, in terms of what it can do and what it costs and how much it effects the dynamics of the board.

Again, I think the comments are important and valid, but lets all remember that a lot of value changes with Chapel on the board. It's just one of those epic cards that distorts a board. It's probably why it remains my favorite Dominion card of them all. :)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:15 pm »

GH + Fiefdom + a strong trasher (Chapel of course, but Steward?  Remake (which can do Estates->GH or Fiefdom)?)  Might be that you'd also need +buy to make that worthwhile, at which point it's a fragile 4 card combo, so meh.  Fiefdom sounds fine.

I think the problem, if there is one, is more along the lines of GH + GH + GH + Fiefdom + Fiefdom + Fiefdom = $4 + $5 + $6 = $15.  Swap out Nobles for Great Hall, this is even more manageable.  The key is that Great Hall and Nobles draw, while the number of Fiefdoms you can slam down is limited by whatever your hand size is at the time you start laying them down.

In theory, Bank has this problem too, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  On the other hand, Bank is a $7 card.  Fiefdom, at $3, could be snapped up more easily with extra buys and added to a Tactician/Laboratory/Alchemist deck loaded with Great Halls and Nobles and become an absolute beast.  Tough to say if it's broken or just a really cool combo you have to work towards.  It does seem like you have to work hard to get up to superpower levels, but I'd be pretty scared of an Ironworks/Great Hall/Fiefdom deck just the same.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »

I think the problem, if there is one, is more along the lines of GH + GH + GH + Fiefdom + Fiefdom + Fiefdom = $4 + $5 + $6 = $15.  Swap out Nobles for Great Hall, this is even more manageable.  The key is that Great Hall and Nobles draw, while the number of Fiefdoms you can slam down is limited by whatever your hand size is at the time you start laying them down.

In theory, Bank has this problem too, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  On the other hand, Bank is a $7 card.  Fiefdom, at $3, could be snapped up more easily with extra buys and added to a Tactician/Laboratory/Alchemist deck loaded with Great Halls and Nobles and become an absolute beast.  Tough to say if it's broken or just a really cool combo you have to work towards.  It does seem like you have to work hard to get up to superpower levels, but I'd be pretty scared of an Ironworks/Great Hall/Fiefdom deck just the same.
Playtesting will bear out if it's too powerful, but on the other hand, specific 4-card combos that are merely super strong and not game-warping like KC-KC-Goons-Masq are fine with me. If you look at it, a 2-card combo of chapel-bishop is pretty darn strong.
But, if a problem does arise, I can always switch it to count fiefdoms rather than victory cards, and I don't think that will really be a big problem. Testing will tell.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »

Last two 3s in the set.

Prospector
Action         3
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard 1. Put the rest back in any order.

Pretty basic, self-chaining card that doesn't do all that much. Compares to apothecary, but without the drawing. Might still need to knock it down to top 4 or perhaps even top 3 cards to balance, but I think it's a fairly simple idea that can definitely work.

Formation
Reaction      3
Whenever a card is bought, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a costing up to $2 less than the bought card.

I'm not sure if $2 less is too weak here. Early game this is terrible as is, probably. Late game it can be fairly good, but grabbing a gold in response to a province isn't probably as strong as it seems. On the other hand, you can react to your opponent's last buying of the last province to grab a duchy. Interesting dynamic there, which I quite like. You can also, of course, react to your own buys.

Octo

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Hmm, very interesting cards being discussed. A couple points from me:

First is purely aesthetic - the names of some of the cards discussed in this thread kind of break with the dominion tradition. You're building up your dominion, and so you buy things and build things. The only cards that are not possessions of a sort are cards like remodel and upgrade, but you can still imagine paying for them and verbs-as-names pretty much exclusively only apply when trashing cards for better ones. The theme of dominion is already pretty damn thin though, and so maybe this isn't a concern for you guys, and fair enough, but ask yourself this: I can imagine paying for pretty much everything in dominion so far, but how do you going about paying for 'rage' or a 'deflection'?

Footsolider  - a minor point on this (aesthetic again) is that it doesn't really fit into the naming scheme either - VPs are normally lands or real-estate of some sort or another obviously, either that or people that own lands (nobles or dukes). It's not a bit thing obviously, just thought I'd note it. The card itself however, I'm even less convinced about. It's a silver worth 1VP that requires an action to be anything other than an estate. Those 1VPs can flip an evenly matched game for sure, but there's already estates for that (you won't be banking on the +$2 towards the end of the game I suspect) and Great Hall are only good because of their cycling (and I guess their dual-card nature too). It just don't think the 1VP is nearly enough to make it matter to you, to clog up your deck with a really weak action. Then again, in Thief games and such, or for Gardens decks perhaps, it could perform better. Dunno, I can just see this card getting passed over very very frequently.

Fiefdom - I like. You could make it worth +1 for every TWO VPs in play (rounded either way could work) if you're worried about power issues. Would this make it too cack? Hmm, perhaps. The risk of them being absolutely crazy power houses with other dual-actions is just too great as mentioned by other, given the spammable nature of the 3 main ones (particularly Great Hall). Another alternative is to limit it's max value, though that of course would feel clunky. Or you could just have the ability as "if there is another VP in play, this is worth 2".

Mercenary - some people wondering whether it's too powerful or not here. Hard to say with any authority without playtesting of course, but when I read it I wonder about discarding a treasure yourself as a justification for keeping the cost at $3 an adding a bit more oomf to it (either the +$2 or perhaps discarding two treasure from the opponent). The danger with that though it one of just slowing the game for everyone. I think it's probably fine as it is.

Experience - the main action seems pretty random and tacked on. What was your motivation for it? Is the gain mandatory upon playing the treasury? I assume so, and then....well, that complicates things. You end up buying shit loads of coppers by the end if it was essential and that's a kick in the balls. Is it essential that it have a main treasure-action? Also the reaction is pretty flippin' good. The power of it is not what's irking me though, it's the nature of the reaction make people think twice about playing an attack - most reactions are designed to counter a few attacks, not actively  benefit from being attack. That's not inherently bad I guess, but certainly seems a shift in the 'dastardliness' of dominion. Also, have you considered how quickly the attack pile would run out? The card would then be useless. Other than that of being a silver. Which it costs the same as, and does shit loads more than. So that's another issue. My last red flag would perhaps be that it encourages the game to descend into multi-attack-chaos which can slow a game waaay down, and make it a bit un-fun. Not unbalanced or anything necessarily in that situation, just un-fun.

Reaction-discards - at first I thought these were a bit off, I thought it was a bit clunky and bolted-on, but I like the way you've stuck with it as a theme. And thinking about it now, my comments about the behaviour of reactions in when commenting on experience may be slightly off the mark - these are much more general reactions on the whole, and are not designed as the "defence" cards that most people assume the blues are after playing with the moat. However, there is a risk in general with them, in that they rely on the other player to be fully effective - if they just avoid the trigger (where possible) then you're effectively got dead cards. They're an interesting mechanic, and it would be interesting to see how it affected the meta-game, though it's not guaranteed to be for the better. It could easily be that the cost of your opponent benefiting is often just too much, or rather too much to give away if it's very easy to avoid. If it's not easy to avoid, then surely you're both going to hammer that reaction-discard choice as you're very likely to benefit. Take experience - would its presence merely guarantee that attacks were just outright avoided? Would be interesting to see.

Keep 'em coming. :)

Edit - oop, you just did.

play2draw

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »

Indeed... I don't think Fiefdom is a very broken card. I doubt it would be more dominating than, say, menagerie in a game with hamlet, black market, and Fairgrounds. I still say that Footsoldier is much too weak to serve a good purpose.

Prospector without a doubt superior to Scout (except perhaps in the edge cases where you're grabbing an abundance of Nobles and Harems (which I often find to be more of a "fun" strategy than a good strategy)). I would almost suggest having it reveal only three cards if you want to price it at $3.

Formation is a neat little card. I don't quite know what to make of it yet. It seems like it would be immensely useful at the right times... but I get the feeling that it definitely needs to be playtested just to be sure that it's useful enough to not warrant it being an action/reaction with a minor benefit when played. I get the sense that it's the sort of card that will get in the way more often than not.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:25 am »

As I did with the 2s, I'll rework the 3s based on official wording, then give my thoughts on each card.

DEFLECTION
---
+$2
Name a card type. Each other player discards a card of the named type from his hand (or reveals a hand with no cards of the named type), then draws a card.
--
Action/Attack - $3

(Quite similar to you $2 card Assassin, but with more money, slightly less-perfect aim, and only one card drawn by opponents. I assume that the other players get to draw a card no matter what, including using Moat/Lighthouse. I see this as being more fun than Assassin as well -- name Attack, and if you whiff, your opponent might just draw that Attack you were trying to get rid of. Whoops!)

MERCENARY
---
+$1
Each other player may discard a Treasure card from his hand. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.
--
Action/Attack - $3

(Worded this to feel more like Mountebank, since this is like Monty-lite. Terminal Copper instead of Silver, Coppers block it, and opponents don't get Coppers. The card creation guide advised against $3 Cursors, but the bribery defense mechanic makes this acceptable, in my opinion.)

RAGE
---
+1 Buy
+$2
Discard a card.
-
Whenever you discard a card from your hand, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.
--
Action/Reaction - $3

(A strictly-worse version of Woodcutter on its own, this could get pretty interesting if you have some Villages and enough Rages to combo with. Also good against cards like Cutpurse and your Mercenary, which can restore your hand size to 5, or Militia and Torturer, allowing you a net loss of just one card.)

RECYCLE
---
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. +1 Card per card trashed.
-
If you trash a card, you may discard this card from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver.
--
Action/Reaction - $3

(I'm guessing you want the reaction ability to work with all trashing, not just from your hand. If so, this would be interesting in Thief/Pirate Ship games for sure, because you can replace a trashed Copper with a Silver, but then you'll be potentially allowing your opponents to knock out said Silver. I want to try this out.)

EXPERIENCE
---
$2
When you play this, gain a Treasure card costing up to $1 per Copper you have in play.
-
When another players plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of the Attack card played.
--
Treasure/Reaction - $3

(So unless you have at least 3 Coppers in play, you'll be gaining a Copper when you play this. Most of the time, that might not make this card worth the purchase, but I could see this working magic along with Counting House. Of course, the Reaction might be the big draw if there are good stacking Actions on the board.)

SILVERSMITH
---
+1 Buy
Silver produces an extra $2 this turn.
--
Action - $3

(Build a good Silver engine, win the game easily. I agree with a lot of people in thinking that this is too strong as it is now.)

FIEFDOM
---
When you play this, it's worth $1 for every Victory card you have in play (including this).
-
1 VP
--
Treasure/Victory - $3

(Certainly ridiculous when paired with Great Hall, Nobles, and/or Harem, and also has bonus power with Ironworks and Transmute (and Tribute), but by itself will probably just be cute. Worth trying, for sure.)

FOOT SOLDIER
---
+$2
-
1 VP
--
Treasure/Victory - $3

(More reliable than Fiefdom, but nowhere near as much fun as a result.)

CASTLE
---
Choose one: Set aside a Victory card from your hand onto your Castle mat (or reveal a hand with no Victory cards); or +$1 for each card on your Castle mat, then put a card from your Castle mat into your hand. Return all cards on your Castle mat to your deck at the end of the game.
--
Action - $3

(Had to add a few things to clarify matters, I hope. If these clarifications are not what you had intended, let me know. As for my opinions, it's a bit like a self-imposed Pirate Ship/Island combo, but not quite as good as either. I might see this as a $4 myself)

PROSPECTOR
---
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard one of the revealed cards, then put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.
--
Action - $3

(Yeah, this is better than Scout. Even if it doesn't automatically clean out the Victory cards, it's still far too easy to chain Prospectors together for a dominant deck. Dropping the revealed card amount to 3 might be for the best.)

FORMATION
---
Whenever a player (including you) buys a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $2 less than the card bought.
--
Reaction - $3

(At last, a pure Reaction that I could see really working, since every game will have people buying cards. As WanderingWinder said, you could use this to nab a Duchy as the last Province is bought, hopefully giving you the win as a result. That does beg the question, what if multiple players reveal Formation, and they all want the same card, but there are not enough copies of the card to go around? Who gets priority? Would it be the player to the left of the card buyer?)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 03:34:36 pm »

. I assume that the other players get to draw a card no matter what, including using Moat/Lighthouse.

No. Lighthouse says that "you are unaffected by the attack". Not that you are affected by the portions of the attack that you want to be affected by. Same with Moat. It would take very specific wording to go around that.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.