Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Goko > Iso  (Read 19151 times)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: Goko > Iso
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:32 am »
+5

I came to this thread expecting it to be a joke.  I was disappointed when the OP was serious :/

I've barely read this forum in 6 months and even I know wero is and has been the biggest goko apologist for, like, forever.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:51 am »
+3

2nd page is only a problem with Young Witch and Looters, non supply piles are ok on another page imo.

To build an interface that specifically only fits an exact number of cards at once, while they knew ahead of time that this wouldn't work for all expansions, is a problem for me.

This.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:46 pm »
+3

2nd page is only a problem with Young Witch and Looters, non supply piles are ok on another page imo.

To build an interface that specifically only fits an exact number of cards at once, while they knew ahead of time that this wouldn't work for all expansions, is a problem for me.

This.

To elaborate, the reason this is bad UI design is because most of the time—when you don't have a YW or Looters in the Kingdom—you don't need to change pages to see if the game is about to pile out. As a result, the user is trained to not think about the second page. Now, when some of those cards do show up, the UI's rules change: relevant info for the endgame state is split over both pages. It's that difference that's the problem.

This is arguable, but I believe it would be better for the game to need a second page ALL the time, then to need it some of the time. The tradeoff is between "should info on game state be consistent" (then put it on two screens always so the user is trained to flip between screens to check all the cards) and "fewer clicks to see the relevant information" (do what Goko does currently). Regardless of which you think is better, modifying the layout so Ruins/Bane are on the first page, even if Prizes/Spoils/etc are not, would accomplish both goals better than either halfway solution.

Dargone

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »
+1

My wife and I have been playing on Goko for several weeks now and we both love it. For us, it's much better than ISO.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »
+3

I came to this thread expecting it to be a joke.  I was disappointed when the OP was serious :/

I've barely read this forum in 6 months and even I know wero is and has been the biggest goko apologist for, like, forever.

Do you consider all people who hold opinions contrary to yours to be "apologists"?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
+4

Do you consider all people who hold opinions contrary to yours to be "apologists"?

I go on a case by case basis!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 01:09:44 pm »
+2

In doing some research I've discovered that the actual definition of apologist is not nearly as negative as I had always assumed it to be.  I thought your post was a lot harsher than it actually is. My mistake!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »

I am an apologist for Quorn.

oh and Uwe Boll
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:13:04 pm by Ozle »
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »

I'm glad that someone likes Goko.

There is an elegant simplicity in the Iso design compared to Goko. In terms of a UI, everything that needs to be there is there and nothing unwanted is in its place.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:25:07 pm by DG »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 05:00:12 pm »

In doing some research I've discovered that the actual definition of apologist is not nearly as negative as I had always assumed it to be.  I thought your post was a lot harsher than it actually is. My mistake!

While the actual definition may not be that negative, "apologist" is almost always used with the intent of a much more negative connotation.  This is particularly true on the internet.  Literally.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 07:20:01 am »

While the actual definition may not be that negative, "apologist" is almost always used with the intent of a much more negative connotation.  This is particularly true on the internet.  Literally.

Whatever the dictionary definition is I'd say it is probably always used with the implication that "this person lacks objectivity".

Having said that I can't see myself ever being very worried about being called an apologist by someone taking a contrary opinion to mine (as long as it was in connection to a cause that I actually believed in). Yes it is a slur but it is a pretty mild one and I'd expect to get referred to a worse in the rough and tumble of even pretty polite debate....

and I certainly wouldn't hold back on using the term myself if I thought someone else was lacking in objectivity....

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 07:38:04 am »

I love how Goko asks me whether I really want to Chapel that Workshop in stead of just playing it. At least it was kind enough to allow me to buy it back right away.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »
+2

I liked how isotropic was fast.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:03 pm »
+1

Will Goko turn into WoW, where add-ons added HUDs and such (as an example) to make the game play better?

ashersky has predicted the future.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:31 pm »
+6

I liked how isotropic was fast.

I liked how it worked, and what few issues there were during its lifetime were quickly fixed by a one-man team doing it as a hobby

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »
+4

I liked the Google image search art.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 11:22:02 pm »
+2

why did we resurrect a thread instead of creating a new one?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:46 pm »
+8

Goko.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 08:29:11 am »
+2

I was curious if anyone would still seriously entertain the idea in the title of this thread and thought dragging it to the front would help highlight how much (in terms of commjnity attitude) and how little (in terms of Goko functionality) has changed since then.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:47 am »

A lot has changed in terms of Goko functionality. It started not working frequently.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:07 am »
+4

A lot has changed in terms of Goko functionality. It started not working frequently.

And features they said were coming soon never came. Nor did any new games.

It's sad.  :'(

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 11:38:44 am »

At least they finished implementing all the published cards. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up for that Goko-only promo card, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »

Wasn't the OP posted when Goko was at its prime? Goko was slowly getting better for awhile. There was even a point where I felt it was a few features away from really competing with Iso for best online implementation of Dominion. I mean, look at the pretty pictures of the cards! Really (okay, the extension helped too). I've always considered myself lucky that Goko would behave better for me than many other users.

Then I don't know what happened. See the "It gets Worse" thread. It still works fine for me, but I worry that the mist surrounding the area of the adventure map where the Guilds adventure should be will never be lifted. That's an extra Promo card I think. I don't want to have to overspend to buy the last promo.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 08:00:47 pm »
+1

Wasn't the OP posted when Goko was at its prime? Goko was slowly getting better for awhile

Nope, waaay before its time!

Wereo was a Goko apologist for a while!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »

Wasn't the OP posted when Goko was at its prime? Goko was slowly getting better for awhile

Nope, waaay before its time!

Wereo was a Goko apologist for a while!

Wero.  There is only one "e".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.