Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Innovation IRL questions  (Read 4867 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Innovation IRL questions
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:05 pm »

After playing Innovation on iso, I'm liking a lot of things about the online implementation. But, I'm not sure how it will translate to real life. Does anyone have experience playing with the actual cards? I'm immediately wondering if it's going to be tedious figuring out which dogma effects would be shared if I played them, but there's probably a host of other concerns too.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation IRL questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »

I've played 3 or 4 real life Innovation games and I remember it going very smoothly.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:34:35 pm »

I've played IRL.

Most of the issues actually tend to be related to the analysis paralysis of Innovation rather than the aspects of playing physically.  I didn't feel like the physical components of the game were really slowing me down.  Comparing 12-13 lightbulbs is admittedly a pain, but it's dwarfed by all the decisions

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »

The main issue I had playing online personally is that the terminology is different. Your objective is to dominate 6 domains, you don't meld dogmas, you play them, you archive cards to the bottom of your played dogmas and other things. I would guess I just played with a new (or old) edition, it's the 2011 one.

Counting symbols is actually not too hard. You just ask how many people have and they tell you.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »

The main issue I had playing online personally is that the terminology is different. Your objective is to dominate 6 domains, you don't meld dogmas, you play them, you archive cards to the bottom of your played dogmas and other things. I would guess I just played with a new (or old) edition, it's the 2011 one.

Counting symbols is actually not too hard. You just ask how many people have and they tell you.

Those terminologies certainly aren't in any ruleset I've seen.  That's very strange.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:37 pm »

In practice, at my level of play at least, there tends to be 0 or 1 importantly contested symbols, and you count them when needed (fuck, he just built pirate code!), and then cache the difference in short term memory and add/subtract as new cards are melded/tucked/splayed.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »

Those terminologies certainly aren't in any ruleset I've seen.  That's very strange.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/132358/english-second-edition this is the version. It's listed as 2nd edition so yeah, I would expect it to be the standard used for new expansions and stuff.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:48 pm »

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/132358/english-second-edition this is the version. It's listed as 2nd edition so yeah, I would expect it to be the standard used for new expansions and stuff.

I would guess not, actually, given that the Figures expansion uses the same art and rules.  It looks like the Iello edition passed through a French translator first or something?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:26 pm »

I use the terms (achieve / meld / tuck / etc.) from the Asmadi Games edition, which is sold in North America.  The Iello Games edition is sold in Europe — I think they have translations for various languages but their English version (for the UK, etc.) uses different terms (dominate / play / archive / etc., though I could have some of those wrong).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »

Real life is fine. It doesn't really take players long to count the symbols and if you're all friendly players, so you can trust that nobody is misrepresenting the public information, the biggest problem becomes the analysis paralysis.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:52 pm »

There's AP, and there's also sometimes getting the rules wrong and not having someone else to correct your mistake.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:22:13 am »

The main thing you can't keep track of well in IRL Innovation are the special achievements.

AngelKurisu

• Innovation Publisher
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
    • Asmadi Games
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:54 am »

Iello produces an english version for the UK/Australia.

Unfortunately, when Carl and I did contracts and things, we did them by region and not by language, so there are two different english versions of Innovation.  The Asmadi version is what is implemented on Isotropic.  Both are functionally identical in terms of gameplay.

For a reason unknown to me though, Iello decided to rename pretty much everything in the game mechanically for their english version.  All future editions and expansions in the US will use the original names for things, as I really don't like the direction they went with the wording or art.  These are aesthetic preferences though, and I can understand some folks prefer their presentation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »

Unfortunately, when Carl and I did contracts and things, we did them by region and not by language, so there are two different english versions of Innovation.  The Asmadi version is what is implemented on Isotropic.  Both are functionally identical in terms of gameplay.

For a reason unknown to me though, Iello decided to rename pretty much everything in the game mechanically for their english version.  All future editions and expansions in the US will use the original names for things, as I really don't like the direction they went with the wording or art.  These are aesthetic preferences though, and I can understand some folks prefer their presentation.

I think both versions have better wording in some places. Play is better than meld, but tuck is better than archive. More intuitive is better, I tend to find, but it's obviously too late to change the terms around.

As for the artwork, the Asmadi version is very functional, but quite bland to be honest - it's a rather dull box, while the Illeo version is very pretty, yet still functional. Over on BGG, there was a thread about the box arts and someone got pretty offensive towards be for saying the Illeo one was so much nicer :P.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:02 am »

And yet I have the Asmadi version. (Although I think I first saw the Iello one in shops and completely passed it over, probably in favour of a Dominion expansion.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.