Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Basic Strategy  (Read 6259 times)

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Basic Strategy
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:54:54 pm »
+4

i know some people are raring for strategy article about this game,i'm pretty new to the game myself but i think i got a decent grasp of it so if it's not a problem i'm going to get a head start and post some tips... so... how do you win at innovation? you basicaly have to follow at least 2 of these 3 roles as best as you can depending on what you draw,the 3 roles are the brainac,the emperor and the overachiever

- the brainac doesn't care about score or board,all he wants to do is getting to 8-10 as quick as possible,8-10 has all the cool toys,card's that let you score big,card that put your opponent in a nasty situation and best of all,card that instantly win you the game under the right situation,card that helps the brainac are writing,mathematics,paper,printing press... writing -> math -> paper is a good brainac opening for example

the good way to deal with the brainac is to pronge attack him,combine card that steals card from the board (compass,societies,enterprise) with card that steals from hand (archery,machinery,construction) and he'll be forced to share the tech one way or the other... another good way is to share your sucky effect in hope to ruin your opponent board,if your opponent use math to draw a 4 card and then you cover it by sharing sailing then his effort have been in vain,of course this requires a nice amount of luck to pull off... alternatively try to make each age run out as quick as possible,each age (beside 1 who has 14 and 10 who has 10) has only 9 card in it,with the brainac having removed at least 1,that means as long as you can draw or play more than 4 cards a turn (the wheel,fermentation,industrialization) you can catch up by simply removing all the obstacle between you and the high level tech,this is also a good way to play,role number 2 which is...

- the emperor! the emperor cares about board relevance,he wants to make big piles and then splay them forcing his opponent to share all of his effect and preventing any attack,the emperor loves card that gives him free draw and/or melding action like sailing,mysticism,reformation and most importantly industrialization which can give you a HUGE board presence,and of course he need his fair share of card to splay piles too with card like paper,metric system,flight,and mostly importantly measurements! the emperor has an hard time achieving era's quickly but he makes up by usualy ending up winning the domain achievement as long as nobody picked them up through other cards,one thing of importance when playing the emperor... you don't want to meld too many card with castle on them,except in rare case's castle become useless mid in the game as such other than splaying 3 castle for the empire domain achievement there is no reason to play castle card for their icons,try to focus on early card with other icons like agriculture,pottery,translation... you get the idea

the best way to beat the emperor is to end the game as soon as possible,if you score 4 era 2 domain achievements through cards then the emperor won't have any time to build,you do so by playing the role of....

- the overachiever! the overachiever only cares about scoring each era as quickly as possible,he scores,achieve's and tries to bring the game home ASAP,card that the overachiever like are clothing,metalworking,currency,agriculture (if playing brainac) and steam engine

with the overachiever there are 2 way to deal with him,the first is pretty obvious and it's to attack his score pile,these card include stuff like anatomy,vaccination,mapmaking,navigation and the biggest of them all,rocketry
the other way is to achieve thing yourself even if you are behind achievements and the overachiever has 1,2,3,4,5 if you end up scoring 6 then he will be forced to score 7 and if you score 7 he will be forced to score 8 instead and so on...

Alternate Way to win the game

most people seems to know about collecting 6 achievements but seems to have no idea about the other ways to win the game,the first one is by scoring,the game ends by scoring when a card higher than 10 gets drawn,one of the advantage of playing the brainac is that if you get to the 10 pile first and then deplete it,then you get to decide when the game ends,coincidentaly most of the 10 card let you score big so it's not uncommon for a brainac to get from a score of 0 to a score of 50 and then ending up winning on points

the other way are through special effect of high level cards these are...

- Empiricism ( 8 ),which wins you the game if you have 20 lightbulbs,handling the victory to an emperor who got most of the blue/purple cards as those are the ones that mostly often comes with a lightbulb
- Collaboration (9),which wins you the game if you have a stack of 10 green cards,handling the victory to an emperor who got most of the green cards
- Bioengineering (10),which wins you the game if your opponent doesn't have enough leaf making it good against people who haven't build their board like an overachiever
- Self Service (10) let you win if you have more achievements than your opponent
- Globalization (10) gives the victory to the player with the most point if there are more industry than leaves on the board thus making it a good brainac/overachiever carrd
- A.I (10) gives the victory to the player with the lowest score when 2 other 10 cards (Robotics and Software) are on ANY board as top cards... rather than fitting a strategy this is mostly a last resort card,note that if the difference between you and your opponent score is 9 or less,you will still lose the game as you gain more point before the other effect resolve but if you have less lightbulb than your opponent then you both get the effect and the score will get even,also if you try to pull the card off with software and you have to share the effect,do it only if the 10 stack is still full,using software means pulling 3 10 cards from the deck,so if both you and the opponent do so,you get to pull a great total of 6 cards thus forcing a draw of a card higher than 10 if only five 10 cards are present in the deck making the game ends by score

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:49 pm »

Nicely done.

Kind of the equivalent of big money/engine/slog/etc of Dominion.

It's good to start developing this language for Innovation.
I've had a lot of those same thoughts as I played the game. It's nice to see a structure developed.

Maybe the next thing to talk about is the transition between these strategies.

Often you start going brainiac and then Math gets covered. Or you open clothing going for score, but your points get stolen and you end up with Philosophy or something pushing you to an Emperor strategy.

Another "win method" is kind if a variation on Emperor, is the "pin". If you can get more leaf and crown and the right top cards you can sometimes hold the other guy in place: stealing/killing anybody his points, and pulling cards from his hand, and stealing the good cards he plays.

There are usually lots of ways out of a pin, but if you can build a little while you ate pinning, it can be very effective at pitting you in a placebo win - higher tech, more icons, and higher score...

Ed

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »
+1

Decent article, but I think you underestimate the impact of scoring. It's a lot easier to catch up in tech, or neutralize symbol advantage, than to fight against 5 achievements.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »

Yes, a lot of the time you can catch up in tech by playing some really low-aged cards. Machinery in Age 3 is one that comes to mind. A match I played against a friend had him Mathematics up to Age 8 while I was still stuck in Age 3 and I caught up instantly with Machinery and then melding the highest card in my hand.

Neutralizing symbol advantage is also relatively easier because your opponent doesn't necessarily dominate in all symbols and different symbols are suited to different things. IIRC bulbs tend to not be great at scoring (with the exception of, off the top of my head, Perspective), for example.

Finally, if your opponent has 5 achievements, you have to block him in every way possible, which is not easy. You have to score ahead of your opponent and take achievements pre-emptively so that he can't get the next lowest one available. Doing so uses up actions. You have to make sure that your opponent has zero means of claiming remaining special achievements, which usually involves messing with his board. Both of these will stall your tempo and make it more difficult to win by another means.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:41 pm »

There are just so many things that catch you up tech-wise that it's impossible not to find at least one.  Archery, Construction, Road Building, Machinery, any of the Crowns, etc. 

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:57 pm »
+1

I'm a total innovation noob, having played less than 20 games, but I liken it to Starcraft (the strategy game I've played the most).

Starcraft is a resource-based strategy game where you can invest your resources into 3 areas: Army, Economy, and Technology. Generally you want to keep up in all areas, but depending on which of these areas you lead in or are behind in, it becomes more beneficial to invest in other different areas. If you're ahead in econ, you invest in tech; if you're ahead in tech, you invest in army to use that tech; and if you're ahead in army, you move out on the map to secure more economy.

So with innovation I think (let me know if I'm way off base here), I think the 3 areas you can invest in are score, symbols/bulk, and tech level. Ideally, you'd like to be ahead in everything, but depending on how the cards fall, you can find yourself seemingly at an insurmountable deficit in one of these areas. If you're trailing in score, you want to tech up to stuff that can really change the game; if you're behind in tech, you want to focus on symbols to share/block dogmas; and I guess if you're behind on symbols, you just give up and try to score? I'm not sure about this last one, but it's worked out a couple times for me. I just eat up my board with Coal or something not caring if I share it, so I can score and achieve, since I don't have much chance in a longer game.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:29 pm »
+1

I can't read more than a couple run-on non-capitalized sentences before my eyes glaze over and think "blah blah blah cant capitalize or end sentences at appropriate times or anything reasonable like that and why am i reading this now im going to bed."
Stop reading my signature.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:59 am »
+1

I can't read more than a couple run-on non-capitalized sentences before my eyes glaze over and think "blah blah blah cant capitalize or end sentences at appropriate times or anything reasonable like that and why am i reading this now im going to bed."

Yeah, I had a bit of that problem too.  That could use a rewrite into well-written English.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:44:27 am »

Icon dominance is also not always desirable (but this fact is obvious). Alchemy and Physics can force an opponent to return all cards from his hand. Any card that forces a meld can hamper the opponent's next turn by either covering icons or covering needed cards. In general, choosing to share a dogma this way is a huge risk, but it can sometimes be the only option. I played a game earlier today where my friend was on the cusp of using Mobility and claiming his 6th achievement to win, but I shared Corporations and forced him to cover up one of his factory icons, which allowed me to be immune to his Mobility demand on his turn.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:59 am »

So with innovation I think (let me know if I'm way off base here), I think the 3 areas you can invest in are score, symbols/bulk, and tech level. Ideally, you'd like to be ahead in everything, but depending on how the cards fall, you can find yourself seemingly at an insurmountable deficit in one of these areas. If you're trailing in score, you want to tech up to stuff that can really change the game; if you're behind in tech, you want to focus on symbols to share/block dogmas; and I guess if you're behind on symbols, you just give up and try to score? I'm not sure about this last one, but it's worked out a couple times for me. I just eat up my board with Coal or something not caring if I share it, so I can score and achieve, since I don't have much chance in a longer game.

yep yep this was the main point i was trying to says,not "ignore completly score" just "if score card don't fall in your lap,don't get desperate and tech up/build up your board"

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

if you're behind in tech, you want to focus on symbols to share/block dogmas;
Since Factories start in age 4 and start for-real in age 5, and clocks start in age 7 and start for-real in age 8, this isn't really a good strategy to deal with being behind on tech.  It's hard to force someone to share Coal if you're in age 3.

Actually, I think perhaps you got things mixed up: if you're behind on symbols, that's a great reason to techup rather than score, since you can't be forced to share high level dogmas.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.253 seconds with 20 queries.