Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808415 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #3300 on: May 01, 2019, 10:59:49 pm »

In the game I played I piled out by Donating away my Hunting Grounds to empty the Estates. Market Square could also work, as crj suggested.

Why does that work? It doesn't seem like it should work.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: May 02, 2019, 12:06:38 am »
+2

In the game I played I piled out by Donating away my Hunting Grounds to empty the Estates. Market Square could also work, as crj suggested.

Why does that work? It doesn't seem like it should work.

The game ends at the end of the turn if three piles are empty. When Teamlyle's turn ended, the Estates were still in the supply; Donate trashing happens after the turn ends.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: May 09, 2019, 11:10:53 am »

1. You have 40+ cards in your deck.
2. You start with a hand of 15 cards.
3. You play Storyteller, and you play 2 Golds and a third card.
4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

There are multiple solutions. How many unique solutions (that are defined as not simply some variation of the same idea, but truly unique ideas) can you find? I will continue to add solutions as I find them/they get discussed.

1. Capitalized Poor House, of which the 11 cards remaining are all Treasures, reducing the virtual coin to exactly 0. This works with the Infinite Deck.
2. Playing Capitalized Black Market, which reveals Grand Castle. (Could Crown Black Market instead to reveal two cards to buy costing the exact amount) This works for the Infinite Deck.
3. Playing Crowned Black Market, revealing Doctor, and playing a Fortune, overpaying by a billion to trash all of the cards, drawing nothing. This is not an infinite solution.
4. Play Venture/Loan/Crowned Rebuild/Hunting Party with -Card Token/etc., revealing exclusively Hounds. This can be considered an infinite solution.
4a. Variant of Solution 4, but with Library. This can be done with multiple Crown plays, to get the deck size down to below 7 cards. Also infinite.
4b. Venture can reveal exclusively Ventures, in addition to Hounds.

Another clarification: You cannot draw cards in any capacity, meaning that Crowning Storyteller with a -card token in play does not work, as you draw cards. The challenge is not to not draw cards from the first storyteller, but to not draw cards at all.

Additional challenge: Infinite sized deck, bonus points for finding a solution that works in that way. Infinite deck size assumes infinite piles, so feel free to add a billion copies of a card to the deck if you like.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:37:08 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: May 09, 2019, 11:19:40 am »
+2

4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

There are multiple solutions. How many unique solutions (that are defined as not simply some variation of the same idea, but truly unique ideas) can you find? I have found two so far, which I will spoil below.

1. Capitalized Poor House, of which the 11 cards remaining are all Treasures, reducing the virtual coin to exactly 0.
2. Playing Capitalized Black Market, which reveals Grand Castle. (Could Crown Black Market instead to reveal two cards to buy costing the exact amount)

The third card is Venture, and your remaining deck consists of a combination of Ventures, Faithful Hounds and Inherited Faithful Hounds.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: May 09, 2019, 11:27:16 am »

4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

There are multiple solutions. How many unique solutions (that are defined as not simply some variation of the same idea, but truly unique ideas) can you find? I have found two so far, which I will spoil below.

1. Capitalized Poor House, of which the 11 cards remaining are all Treasures, reducing the virtual coin to exactly 0.
2. Playing Capitalized Black Market, which reveals Grand Castle. (Could Crown Black Market instead to reveal two cards to buy costing the exact amount)

The third card is Venture, and your remaining deck consists of a combination of Ventures, Faithful Hounds and Inherited Faithful Hounds.

Amazing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: May 09, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
+1

4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

There are multiple solutions. How many unique solutions (that are defined as not simply some variation of the same idea, but truly unique ideas) can you find? I will continue to add solutions as I find them/they get discussed.

1. Capitalized Poor House, of which the 11 cards remaining are all Treasures, reducing the virtual coin to exactly 0. This works with the Infinite Deck.
2. Playing Capitalized Black Market, which reveals Grand Castle. (Could Crown Black Market instead to reveal two cards to buy costing the exact amount) This works for the Infinite Deck.
3. Playing Crowned Black Market, revealing Doctor, and playing a Fortune, overpaying by a billion to trash all of the cards, drawing nothing. This is not an infinite solution.
4. Play Venture/Loan/Crowned Rebuild/Hunting Party with -Card Token/etc., revealing exclusively Hounds. This can be considered an infinite solution.
4a. Variant of Solution 4, but with Library. This can be done with multiple Crown plays, to get the deck size down to below 7 cards. Also infinite.
4b. Venture can reveal exclusively Ventures, in addition to Hounds.

Another clarification: You cannot draw cards in any capacity, meaning that Crowning Storyteller with a -card token in play does not work, as you draw cards. The challenge is not to not draw cards from the first storyteller, but to not draw cards at all.

Additional challenge: Infinite sized deck, bonus points for finding a solution that works in that way. Infinite deck size assumes infinite piles, so feel free to add a billion copies of a card to the deck if you like.

Hey, I actually solved this one! I came up with the first solution before looking at the spoilers! Maybe I should actually try to solve some of the other puzzles on this thread instead of just looking at the answers immediately!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3306 on: May 09, 2019, 02:22:08 pm »
+6

4. You draw no cards.

What happened?

You drew no cards.

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: May 09, 2019, 05:42:35 pm »
+1

Your third card could be a capitalized vassal that sets off a chain of infinite vassals. Technically the final card in your could be any action that doesn't cause you to discard from your hand. You discard and play all the cards in your deck, but never draw them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: May 10, 2019, 08:50:55 am »

I have my entire deck in play, and all the cards are Actions.  I then buy one card, and trash everything in play.  How?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: May 10, 2019, 09:35:30 am »
+5

Capitalism; buy Mint.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: May 10, 2019, 11:25:50 am »

They're all Crowns, buy Mint.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: May 10, 2019, 01:06:57 pm »

I have my entire deck in play, and all the cards are Actions.  I then buy one card, and trash everything in play.  How?

Hard Mode: Find a way to trash all cards in play, with four Pearl Divers in play in addition to everything else.

Solution:
Play Black Market, buying Peasant and playing it using Innovation, play another Black Market revealing Villa and buy it, and then buy Mint and double Bonfire, killing 4 Pearl Divers.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: May 10, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »
+8

I have no cards in my deck.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: May 10, 2019, 01:51:53 pm »

Hard Mode: Find a way to trash all cards in play, with four Pearl Divers in play in addition to everything else.

Solution:
Play Black Market, buying Peasant and playing it using Innovation, play another Black Market revealing Villa and buy it, and then buy Mint and double Bonfire, killing 4 Pearl Divers.
That's not one buy. If more buys were allowed, you could just use Travelling Fair/Bonfire.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: May 10, 2019, 02:06:26 pm »

I have no cards in my deck.

I have no cards.  They are all Actions.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: May 10, 2019, 04:06:43 pm »

Answer to Hard Mode:
Half of the cards in play are Crowns. You have already bought Sewers. You buy Mint.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: May 10, 2019, 04:28:46 pm »

Answer to Hard Mode:
Half of the cards in play are Crowns. You have already bought Sewers. You buy Mint.
You cannot trash cards in play with Sewers.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:50 pm »
+1

Answer to Hard Mode:
You cannot trash cards in play with Sewers.

Oh yeah, right. Never mind.

I'm assuming Donate doesn't count? Because it's not a card?

Hmm... Maybe having 4 KC'd Improves in play would work. As it's phrased, the trash is independent of the buy.

They don't actually have to be KC'd, you could buy Mint with Capitalism already bought. Then some of the trashes would be caused by a buy.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: May 14, 2019, 03:13:42 am »
+3

Three Dominion card names (including events, etc.) can be completely spelled by stringing together the postal abbreviations for US states. 

One is MINE.  MI = Michigan; NE = Nebraska.

What are the other two?  For the purposes of this question, ignore spaces in card names.

https://www.bls.gov/cew/cewedr10.htm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:58 am »
+1

Alms
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: May 14, 2019, 11:49:16 am »

Might be helpful for this and/or other puzzles:

http://pittersplace.com/dominion/cardlist.txt
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: May 14, 2019, 12:13:35 pm »
+1

Three Dominion card names (including events, etc.) can be completely spelled by stringing together the postal abbreviations for US states. 

One is MINE.  MI = Michigan; NE = Nebraska.

What are the other two?  For the purposes of this question, ignore spaces in card names.

https://www.bls.gov/cew/cewedr10.htm

How do you know there are exactly two others? Did you check all of them?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: May 14, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
+2

Mandarin

I may or may not have used regular expressions to solve this.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:32 pm »

Oh, of course. Regular expressions. I wish I knew how to use those better.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38:16 pm »

Mandarin

I may or may not have used regular expressions to solve this.

Ah, I wondered if there were some kind of thing like that.  I checked all the card names one at a time.  (I considered adding the extra challenge of trying to solve it from memory...)

There's actually a FOURTH card, though, that can similarly be completely expressed using the postal abbreviations for US states.  But I doubt any computer program can find this one.

What card am I thinking of?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.