Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808392 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #3050 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34:28 am »

- you want to activate Conspirators
How would Pirate Ship help with this? It's terminal. I can't think of any case where Pirate Ship is the best way to activate your conspirators.
You have Champion in play, and your opponent banned Page with your Contraband and those are the only Action cards in the kingdom.
Presumably they also banned Conspirator with Contraband, because if you have no P-ship tokens it's a dead Action and Conspirator is strictly better. So then at that point I think it is debateable that anyone would pick up a Ruined Village to help their Conspirators.

It doesn't need to be a good play, there just needs to be a reason to do it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:29 pm »

I was under the impression that Faust was actually asking for a strategically viable reason. Conspirator fails in that case, but granted, strategic play aside, there is a valid edge-case with it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:41 pm »

Alternate solution: You have an engine with Scheme. Opponent is using Enchantress. Schemes, Enchantresses, and Embargoes are Embargoed, and Pirate Ship is the next cheapest action. You want to have an action to get Enchanted so you can get the full use from the rest of your cards.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: January 11, 2018, 05:15:28 am »

Alternate solution: You have an engine with Scheme. Opponent is using Enchantress. Schemes, Enchantresses, and Embargoes are Embargoed, and Pirate Ship is the next cheapest action. You want to have an action to get Enchanted so you can get the full use from the rest of your cards.

Similarly Pirate Ship may be the cheapest card that would increase the value of your Horns of Plenty, but faust narrowed the challenge to exclude such things:

To make the question more narrow, maybe I should point out that the same thing could not have been achieved by an action card that costs $4 and simply does nothing on play.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3054 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:06 am »
+3

I was under the impression that Faust was actually asking for a strategically viable reason. Conspirator fails in that case, but granted, strategic play aside, there is a valid edge-case with it.

Well, usually these kinds of puzzles have two kinds of correct answers: the one that actually happened in a game, and ones that don't necessarily have to be good plays or plausible situations as long as it achieves something. If only good plays were accepted as answers, the correct answers would be debatable, which isn't great.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: January 11, 2018, 05:32:59 pm »

My one thought is using the PS attack to discard stuff off the top of the opponent's deck, which may help if you're playing lots of Chariot Races and you already know the top card is too expensive.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: January 15, 2018, 05:44:06 pm »

I play the same Action card from my hand twice, without playing any other cards. How?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: January 15, 2018, 06:32:46 pm »
+6

I play the same Action card from my hand twice, without playing any other cards. How?
You have your +$1 and +Buy tokens on Fortress. You play a Fortress from your hand, then call 6 Royal Carriages on it, giving $7. You buy Bonfire, trashing the Fortress so it goes back to your hand, then Villa to return to your Action phase. You play the Fortress from your hand again.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »

You have your +$1 and +Buy tokens on Fortress. You play a Fortress from your hand, then call 6 Royal Carriages on it, giving $7. You buy Bonfire, trashing the Fortress so it goes back to your hand, then Villa to return to your Action phase. You play the Fortress from your hand again.

My original solution used coin tokens instead of the +1$ token and Royal Carriage, but apart from that it's perfect.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: January 16, 2018, 04:12:13 am »
+2

Also, play Crown, buy Mandarin (topdeck Crown), gain Catacombs from Charm, reveal Watchtower trashing Catacombs, gain Rats, reveal Watchtower trashing Rats, draw Crown, gain another Catacombs trashing it to gain Villa, play Crown.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: January 16, 2018, 04:53:47 am »

Also, play Crown, buy Mandarin (topdeck Crown), gain Catacombs from Charm, reveal Watchtower trashing Catacombs, gain Rats, reveal Watchtower trashing Rats, draw Crown, gain another Catacombs trashing it to gain Villa, play Crown.
How do you gain the second Catacombs? And do you mean Charm throughout instead of Crown? But then Charm isn't an Action card... I'm confused!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:56:46 am by infangthief »

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:03 am »

How do you gain the second Catacombs? And do you mean Charm throughout instead of Crown? But then Charm isn't an Action card... I'm confused!
No, you played some Charms. When you buy a card, you may gain a card that costs the same for each Charm you played.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 16, 2018, 07:39:38 am »

No, you played some Charms. When you buy a card, you may gain a card that costs the same for each Charm you played.
Oh I see. So you've got Charm, Charm, Crown, <do clever stuff without playing any other cards>, same Crown again.
I had assumed the "without playing any other cards" was intended to apply to the whole turn.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:40:43 am by infangthief »

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 16, 2018, 08:58:52 am »

Oh I see. So you've got Charm, Charm, Crown, <do clever stuff without playing any other cards>, same Crown again.
I had assumed the "without playing any other cards" was intended to apply to the whole turn.
You could of course still do it then, using just coin tokens and Travelling Fair for extra buys to get the Madnarin / Rats / Villa. I only had it with Charm because I originally intended to buy Mandarin from the Black Market.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 18, 2018, 04:06:22 pm »
+2

I play just one card and get:

+ 5 Cards
+ 5$
+ 8 Actions
+ 1 Buy

Which card did I play?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 18, 2018, 09:48:01 pm »
+3

+ 5 Cards
+ 5$
+ 8 Actions
+ 1 Buy

Which card did I play?

Storeroom, with 4 Champions Processed beforehand.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:51 am »

+ 5 Cards
+ 5$
+ 8 Actions
+ 1 Buy

Which card did I play?

Storeroom, with 4 Champions Processed beforehand.

Nevermind, it's not Storeroom. Hint: I only discard two cards.

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 19, 2018, 09:33:50 am »
+3

With 5 Champions in play, play Tribute with card, action, coin, buy tokens. Opponent reveals Harem and Estate inheriting Crown for +4 cards, +4 coins, +2 actions.
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3068 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:07 am »

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:54 am »
+1

Prerequisite: You've Processioned 4 Champions. +buy token on Death Cart.  Inherited Cultist.  You have a -1 Card token.

Play Death Cart, trash Hunting Grounds, gain 3 Estates, reveal Watchtower to trash 2 of them.

If you instead want to have a net hand-size increase of 5 cards, you can just not use the -1 Card token.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:52:00 am by humcalc216 »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 19, 2018, 01:35:24 pm »

With 5 Champions in play, play Tribute with card, action, coin, buy tokens. Opponent reveals Harem and Estate inheriting Crown for +4 cards, +4 coins, +2 actions.
That's correct. Also don't forget that all four vanilla Adventures tokens are on Tribute.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:40:29 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »
+1

That's correct. Also don't forget that all four vanilla Adventures tokens are on Tribute.

You technically never discard any cards yourself this way  :P

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 20, 2018, 10:06:35 am »

With all 13 Imps in their pile at the start of your turn, gain all of them before ending your action phase.

Never mind, I messed something up. May still be possible, just haven't thought of it.

Found a way again, but not 100% sure it actually works due to potential wording issues. Pretty sure it works.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:26:32 am by dominator 123 »
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 20, 2018, 09:07:02 pm »

With all 13 Imps in their pile at the start of your turn, gain all of them in one action phase.

Never mind, I messed something up. May still be possible, just haven't thought of it.

Found a way again, but not 100% sure it actually works due to potential wording issues.

When you play a villa, you return to your Action phase and you are still in your Action phase. A second action phase is possible with Outpost or Mission.

gaining all 13 imps is possible with Tormentor, Lurker, King’s Court and Bonfire.

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: January 20, 2018, 11:59:24 pm »

I can get all 13 during action phases of a single turn.

Setup: 1 Tormentor in supply, 9 in your deck, 10 Villas in the supply, Lighthouses in play for each opponent, You have 84 Coin Tokens

Play 2 Madmen so your hand contains 9 Tormentors, 4 Overlords, 1 Ambassador

Repeat 10 times:
    Play Tormentor (or play Overlord as Tormentor), gaining an Imp
    Buy Travelling Fair, Bonfire (trashing Tormentor), Villa

Play Tormentor, gaining an Imp
Play Ambassador, returning 2 Villas to the supply (you had spare actions from the Madmen)
Buy Travelling Fair, Bonfire (trashing Tormentor and Ambassador), Villa
Buy Travelling Fair, Bonfire (trashing Tormentor), Villa
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.