Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 813521 times)

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #2375 on: May 11, 2016, 04:29:36 pm »
+1

Two variants that use Crown but nothing else from Adventures or Empires:

Play Crown1, choosing Crown2
-- Play Crown2, choosing University
---- Play University, gaining Mandarin, putting Crown1 and Crown2 on top of your deck
---- Play University, gaining Cultist, trashing Cultist with Watchtower, drawing Crown1, Crown2 and one more card
-- Play Crown2, choosing Crown2

Play King's Court, choosing Crown
-- Play Crown, choosing University
---- Play University, gaining Mint, trashing Crown
---- Play University, gaining whatever
-- Play Crown, choosing Graverobber
---- Play Graverobber, gaining Crown, putting it on top of your dck
---- Play Graverobber, trashing Cultist, drawing 3 cards including Crown, gaining whatever
-- Play Crown, choosing Crown

(alternatives: have enough Throne Room variants to play a drawing action between the Graverobber and the second Crown; have the +1 Card token on Graverobber so the second play draws the Crown whatever)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:23 pm »

There is one way to prevent Madman from returning to the Madman pile. What is it?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 11, 2016, 06:05:24 pm »
+5

There is one way to prevent Madman from returning to the Madman pile. What is it?

Don't play it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 11, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »

Don't play it.

That was quick. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:26 pm »

No durations, no events, nothing in play or set aside at the start of your turn (neither on the Tavern mat nor anywhere else).  No Empires stuff.

You start with 5 cards in hand, whatever cards you want.  Your deck contains a bunch of cards of different types unspecified for this puzzle; just assume the worst case for your answer.

You play one card and one card only.  You don't put any other cards into play while resolving that one card.

What is the largest hand size you can guarantee while still having at least one action remaining?  What card did you play?

I can get to 10 cards.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 11, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »

No durations, no events, nothing in play or set aside at the start of your turn (neither on the Tavern mat nor anywhere else).  No Empires stuff.

You start with 5 cards in hand, whatever cards you want.  Your deck contains a bunch of cards of different types unspecified for this puzzle; just assume the worst case for your answer.

You play one card and one card only.  You don't put any other cards into play while resolving that one card.

What is the largest hand size you can guarantee while still having at least one action remaining?  What card did you play?

I can get to 10 cards.

i can get to 92. Scrying Pool can draw 92 Action cards without ending the game. However, this is the "best case" scenario, so probably doesn't count. I could go even higher with rats and Ports and emptying the Black market deck and Ruins pile as well as counting Inherited Estates, but let's not.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:51:56 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »

I also had Embassy as an answer, as it draws you 10 cards temporarily, but this does not leave 1 Action left, so it is moot.

However, the answer for your puzzle you made is Inherited Estate as Crossroads with a hand of 4 VP cards, drawing you 5 cards and getting you 10 cards in hand while keeping actions.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:53:02 pm by Seprix »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 11, 2016, 07:52:05 pm »
+3

I can get to 10 cards.

I can get 14. Apprentice a Colony.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 11, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »

Scrying Pool doesn't work -- I said that the deck is unspecified and worst case, so your SP will be drawing into a deck of all Treasures or something.

I don't think Crossroads works either?  You play Crossroads with 4VP cards in hand, you only draw 4 cards and get to 8 total.

Apprentice is great, I totally wasn't thinking of it.  Uhh, let's say that the rest of your hand is also unspecified and worst case, other than that one card that you play.  So if you're playing Apprentice, your hand is full of Copper.

Note, even though stuff is unspecified, you are allowed to have set up stuff beforehand.  This is a hint.  If that's not enough of a hint, here it is explicitly: for my solution, Teacher was previously used.

And Embassy doesn't count, temporary doesn't cut it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:00:12 pm by eHalcyon »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 11, 2016, 08:08:46 pm »

Okay, Teacher then. Here you go:

Crossroads with a +1 Card token and a hand full of VP. That will get to 10.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:34 pm »

In the question as originally posed, I can get to 25 cards.

Storyteller with +Coin token, play Counterfeit-Counterfeit-Platinum-Platinum, draw 1+1+1+2+10+10 = 25 cards

The only way I can get to 10 cards with the rest of the hand worst case is with +Card and +Action on Ranger, which is not possible with Teacher alone.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:24 pm »

Okay, Teacher then. Here you go:

Crossroads with a +1 Card token and a hand full of VP. That will get to 10.

Doesn't work because the +1 Card won't draw you a fifth VP card.  Worst case!

In the question as originally posed, I can get to 25 cards.

Storyteller with +Coin token, play Counterfeit-Counterfeit-Platinum-Platinum, draw 1+1+1+2+10+10 = 25 cards

The only way I can get to 10 cards with the rest of the hand worst case is with +Card and +Action on Ranger, which is not possible with Teacher alone.

Storyteller doesn't work even with the original because I specified that you don't play any other cards while resolving your one card, so your Storyteller would have no Treasure backing it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 11, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »
+1

Play King's Court, choosing Crown
-- Play Crown, choosing University
---- Play University, gaining Mint, trashing Crown
---- Play University, gaining whatever
-- Play Crown, choosing Graverobber
---- Play Graverobber, gaining Crown, putting it on top of your dck
---- Play Graverobber, trashing Cultist, drawing 3 cards including Crown, gaining whatever
-- Play Crown, choosing Crown

This one doesn't work; Mint trashes on buy, not on gain.

(I really like this puzzle and solutions, by the way!)

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 11, 2016, 09:25:09 pm »
+2

Storyteller doesn't work even with the original because I specified that you don't play any other cards while resolving your one card, so your Storyteller would have no Treasure backing it.

Oh, right, understood it as action cards.

+Action on Chapel, trashing 4 Cultists, draw 12 cards works within the original conditions then.

I still can't do better than +Action on Ranger for a 9 card hand for the puzzle where you only get to decide 1 card.

What about 60 cards (or however many coppers there are)? +Action on Counting House, draw all the coppers from the discard pile. It only specifies that the deck is worst case, not the discard pile...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:02 pm »

Oh, right, understood it as action cards.

+Action on Chapel, trashing 4 Cultists, draw 12 cards works within the original conditions then.

I still can't do better than +Action on Ranger for a 9 card hand for the puzzle where you only get to decide 1 card.

What about 60 cards (or however many coppers there are)? +Action on Counting House, draw all the coppers from the discard pile. It only specifies that the deck is worst case, not the discard pile...

+1 for Chapel-Cultist on the original puzzle.

The "unspecified deck" condition is intended to disallow anything that relies on drawing a specific set of cards.

Hint: you are on the right track with Ranger.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 11, 2016, 10:18:52 pm »

Ranger has a draw token on it from Teacher, and Champion was in play from another turn but was trashed by procession

Boom.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »

Ranger has a draw token on it from Teacher, and Champion was in play from another turn but was trashed by procession

Boom.

The puzzle said no durations, period.  Doesn't matter if you've removed them from play. :P

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 12, 2016, 04:28:28 am »
+3

Play BoM (with +action token) as Ranger (with +card token).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 12, 2016, 05:33:02 am »

I can get to 10 cards.
Counting House.

Setup:
Put +1 Action token on the Counting House pile.
Gain 53 Coppers, 4 Schemes, 1 Scavenger, 5 Counting House.
Wait until you have Scavenger in your hand after you played 4 Schemes.
Play Scavenger to discard your deck and put Counting House on top of your deck.
At the cleanup of this turn, put 4 Schemes on top of your deck.

At the start of your next turn, play Counting House to put 60 Coppers in your hand.
64 cards, 1 Action remaining.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 12, 2016, 06:35:48 am »

I can get to 10 cards.
Counting House.

Setup:

At the start of your next turn, play Counting House to put 60 Coppers in your hand.

You're not allowed to specify what's in your deck, only in your hand. Otherwise Scrying Pool can draw way more than Counting House.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 12, 2016, 06:46:10 am »
+1

I can get to 10 cards.
Counting House.

Setup:

You're not allowed to specify what's in your deck, only in your hand. Otherwise Scrying Pool can draw way more than Counting House.

Well, it didn't specify that you can't specify the state of your discard pile, but apparently eHalcyon did not appreciate that reading of the problem  ;D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2396 on: May 12, 2016, 06:56:19 am »
+4

I can get to 10 cards.

I can get 17, even with the restriction that the other 4 cards in your hand are Coppers.

Previously, you have used Teacher to put the +1 buy token on Market Square and Baker to gain an arbitrarily large number of coin tokens.

You play one Market Square. Then you enter your buy phase, spend an arbitrarily large number of coin tokens, buy Stonemason, overpay for $5, gain 2 Cultists, buy Stonemason, overpay for $5, gain 2 Cultists, buy Doctor, overpay for an arbitrarily large number of dollars, trash all the cards in your deck. As a result, you have 17 cards in your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 12, 2016, 08:14:21 am »
+3

I can get to 10 cards.

I can get 17, even with the restriction that the other 4 cards in your hand are Coppers.

Previously, you have used Teacher to put the +1 buy token on Market Square and Baker to gain an arbitrarily large number of coin tokens.

You play one Market Square. Then you enter your buy phase, spend an arbitrarily large number of coin tokens, buy Stonemason, overpay for $5, gain 2 Cultists, buy Stonemason, overpay for $5, gain 2 Cultists, buy Doctor, overpay for an arbitrarily large number of dollars, trash all the cards in your deck. As a result, you have 17 cards in your hand.

What if you draw Cultist when you trashed Cultist? Control-able?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2398 on: May 12, 2016, 08:34:59 am »

I can get to 10 cards.

What if you draw Cultist when you trashed Cultist? Control-able?

Well, you can just keep discarding cards with Doctor until you've discarded all but one Cultist while you still have three other cards in your deck, and repeat this process until you're done. It would surely work in practice, and it kind of works in theory (the probability approaches 1 as your number of coin tokens approaches infinity).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:40 am »
+3

Your opponent played Enchantress
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 139  All

Page created in 2.346 seconds with 22 queries.