Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 812478 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1800 on: June 05, 2015, 09:49:28 am »

dghunter79 would have to confirm, but I am pretty sure the no higher than 0 cost in the discard was just a clarification on this statement...
You have somehow reached the following state: none of the cards in your hand or deck cost more than zero, except for one King's Court and one Forge.

(because people here like to be pedantic and would just say they started with 3 Provinces in their discard because it isn't their deck.)

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. And I can't argue that people are being pedantic (this time) because my solution is quite pedantic as well!

Hmmm, well... we need to look for loopholes for Duchy and Province.

The only thing that came to mind was a card set aside with save, but I forgot there aren't any events.  Anyone else see any ways to sneak more cost reduction, or cards that otherwise cost more than 0 past the restrictions given?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 05, 2015, 09:55:09 am »

There's no possible way to do Duchy, Gold, or Province with these sets of rules.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 05, 2015, 11:40:53 am »

There's no possible way to do Duchy, Gold, or Province with these sets of rules.

Gold is easily done with 4 Trusty Steed Silvers and the Gold from Bag of Gold
Gender happened.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:12 am »

Gold is easily done with 4 Trusty Steed Silvers and the Gold from Bag of Gold

Well, yes.

Duchy and Province are much harder, and may not even be possible.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: June 05, 2015, 11:52:40 am »

In a standard solitaire game of Dominion, it's the beginning of your turn. You have no cards on any mats, no Durations in play, and no active Princes.  There are no Events on the board.

You have somehow reached the following state: none of the cards in your hand or deck cost more than zero, except for one King's Court and one Forge.

I suppose it doesn't count if we gain other cards too, like Border Village instead of Gold for Duchies? Also does everybody keep in mind Followers gives us an Estate? We can get at least one Province this way.

Still i feel we need to find some way of circumventing the rules.... Processing a Haven for example leaves no Duration card in play and set-aside cards were not excluded by the rules (see quote above). I'd actually consider them part of the "deck", though (like Gardens does).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: June 05, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
+1

In a standard solitaire game of Dominion, it's the beginning of your turn. You have no cards on any mats, no Durations in play, and no active Princes.  There are no Events on the board.

I suppose it doesn't count if we gain other cards too, like Border Village instead of Gold for Duchies? Also does everybody keep in mind Followers gives us an Estate? We can get at least one Province this way.

Still i feel we need to find some way of circumventing the rules.... Processing a Haven for example leaves no Duration card in play and set-aside cards were not excluded by the rules (see quote above). I'd actually consider them part of the "deck", though (like Gardens does).

I considered Followers for the Estate already. :D It was how I got 3 Colonies with the 'Forge Token Card Draw' method, which was then banned by DG.

Here's the lowdown.

Your goal is Forge 3 of something with King's Court. Be it copper, estate, silver, duchy, gold, and province.

We have no cards costing more than $0 in the entire deck besides King's Court and Forge. If there is a way to insert cards into the deck costing more than $0, that's going to be your strategy. Bag Of Gold, Trusty Steed, and Followers are your gainers as of now, and Madman is your draw and actions, so playing actions is not a problem at all.

Mercenary is probably not useful.

I like your Procession idea, but I feel DG would not allow it.

My next obvious question is this: Do you have to do all of this in 1 turn?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: June 05, 2015, 12:55:18 pm »

At the end of the same turn's Action phase, you play King's Court on Forge. Which of these sets could represent the three cards you gain as a result, and how?

Copper, Copper, Copper
Estate, Estate, Estate
Silver, Silver, Silver
Duchy, Duchy, Duchy
Gold, Gold, Gold
Province, Province, Province

Any of them.  You play cost-reducers until everything costs $0 (the cost-reducers are no longer in your deck nor your hand -- they're in play).  Then you Forge $0s into $0s.

EDIT: Why does this have to be a standard solitaire game?

You can't have cost-reducers other than Princess because they cost more than $0 at the start of your turn.  You can try to gain and play them during your turn, but that's nontrivial.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: June 05, 2015, 03:38:19 pm »
+3

I suppose it doesn't count if we gain other cards too, like Border Village instead of Gold for Duchies?

I like this idea but it seems to go against the terms of the puzzle.

I'll just end it so that you have time to process your anger and disappointment.

Using Madman for draw and Actions, and Spoils for coin:

Play Trusty Steed for Silver. Madman to draw these and the Spoils you'll need.
Forge Silver into Black Market
Draw and King's Court the Black Market
Buy Messenger, gain Fortress, Border Village, gain Fortress, buy Stonemason and gain King's Court and Forge.
Draw all cards: for Province, Kings Court Forge on the two Fortresses. For Duchies, play Princess first, then Kings Court on Forge and trash one Fortress and one Silver three times.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: June 05, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »
+1

I suppose it doesn't count if we gain other cards too, like Border Village instead of Gold for Duchies?

I'll just end it so that you have time to process your anger and disappointment.

Buy Messenger, gain Fortress, Border Village, gain Fortress, buy Stonemason and gain King's Court and Forge.
Draw all cards: for Province, Kings Court Forge on the two Fortresses. For Duchies, play Princess first, then Kings Court on Forge and trash one Fortress and one Silver three times.

You sick individual.

I would have figured it out eventually. D:

I now have anger and disappointment to process.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: June 06, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »
+1

At the end of the same turn's Action phase, you play King's Court on Forge. Which of these sets could represent the three cards you gain as a result, and how?

I see. It was nowhere specified that they had to be the King's Court and Forge you had in your hand at the beginning. Makes it a bit of a trick question, honestly.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: June 06, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »

I see. It was nowhere specified that they had to be the King's Court and Forge you had in your hand at the beginning. Makes it a bit of a trick question, honestly.

For sure.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: June 07, 2015, 02:05:49 am »
+1

But can we get to Colony?

We have 3 Silvers, King's Court, Forge, Stonemason, 2 Fortresses, Messenger, Border Village, and an arbitrary amount of 0 cost cards, so long as they can all be drawn with Madman.
Using 7 Madmen before, we can draw up to 4*2^7=512 cards. That should be sufficient.
Overall, we have 10 Madmen, Trusty Steed, and Border Village for 12 possible actions this turn, 3 of which have already been used. So we have 9 left.
Action 1: Stonemason Fortress for 2 Develops. Play Madman to draw them.
Actions 2-3: Develop Fortress into Develop and Band of Misfits twice. Play Madman to draw them.
Actions 4-6: Develop Fortress into Develop and Band of Misfits 3 times, playing Band of Misfits as Develop.
Action 7: Play Band of Misfits as Trader, trashing Messenger for 4 Silver. Play Madman to draw everything.
Action 8: King's Court Forge, trashing 2 Develops and Band of Misfits for Colony, and trashing 2 Silvers and Band of Misfits for Colony twice.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:09 am »

Empty the entire copper pile (46). How many turns does it take you for the fastest possible solution?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: June 19, 2015, 08:48:44 pm »

Empty the entire copper pile (46). How many turns does it take you for the fastest possible solution?

Fastest is not an easy puzzle, but I know a 46 turn solution. Probably the copper pile should actually contain 53 cards.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: June 19, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »

Three?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »

Easy puzzle: what is the cost of a card that you can never gain?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1816 on: July 01, 2015, 06:43:24 pm »
+2

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 01, 2015, 07:07:31 pm »

The only cards I can think of that you don't gain are the Travelers, but you could trash them and gain them with Rogue/Graverobber...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1818 on: July 01, 2015, 07:11:31 pm »

The randomizer cards?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 01, 2015, 07:12:51 pm »

$5?  The Knights randomizer?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 01, 2015, 07:13:02 pm »

Shelters cost $1.

Puzzle:
I buy a card costing $6 with no Hagglers in play, and while resolving the buy I also gain cards costing $5, $4, $3, $2 and $1. How did I do it?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 01, 2015, 07:34:49 pm »
+4

Setup: Hand includes Watchtower and Feodum, Duplicate on Tavern mat, trashing token on Poor House

Buy Border Village
Gain Catacombs, trash with Watchtower
Gain Squire, trash with Watchtower
Gain $4 attack
Call Duplicate to gain second Border Village
Gain Poor House
Trash Feodum from hand, gain 3 Silvers

$6: Border Village
$5: Catacombs
$4: attack
$3: Silver
$2: Squire
$1: Poor House

There's probably a less convoluted way to do this but it's what I came up with.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:19 pm »
+1

Setup: Hand includes Watchtower and Feodum, Duplicate on Tavern mat, trashing token on Poor House

Buy Border Village
Gain $4 attack
Gain Poor House

The trashing token would have to be on BV since it's an on-buy, not on-gain trigger. Otherwise, seems to work pretty well. My solution overlaps with this, but it used no cards from Adventures and two Events (neither of which was Plan).

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »

Buy Border Village
Gain $4 attack
Gain Poor House

The trashing token would have to be on BV since it's an on-buy, not on-gain trigger. Otherwise, seems to work pretty well. My solution overlaps with this, but it used no cards from Adventures and two Events (neither of which was Plan).

Oh, yeah, it's on buy, whoops. Still need to actually play Adventures. Your solution only involves the buying of this one card, right? I wanted to make sure I couldn't include event buys, because those would make it incredibly easy.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:04 am »

Oh, yeah, it's on buy, whoops. Still need to actually play Adventures. Your solution only involves the buying of this one card, right? I wanted to make sure I couldn't include event buys, because those would make it incredibly easy.
That's correct. I may already have tokens on piles (perhaps from buying Events on previous turns) though.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.