Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808870 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1725 on: May 26, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »

The other main problems are that the card Prince plays is also set aside, and Procession would lose track of Prince and fail to trash it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 26, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »

The other main problems are that the card Prince plays is also set aside, and Procession would lose track of Prince and fail to trash it.

Missed the lose-track, so that point's true. The card Prince sets aside is played, though, so it doesn't stay set aside.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 26, 2015, 04:09:46 pm »

Missed the lose-track, so that point's true. The card Prince sets aside is played, though, so it doesn't stay set aside.

But it is set aside, so no set aside cards as a rule for the puzzle would apply to it, would it not?

Edit: Okay... I guess looking back, the rules say "At some point after the start of my turn, I have five cards in hand, no cards on any mats, no cards set aside.", so if it was possible to not set Prince aside, and the cards it played kept your hand size at 5, then it would fit into the stipulations.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:16:37 pm by Deadlock39 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 26, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »

I can do it with three cards, not requiring shuffle luck.

(2 Fishing Villages from last turn)
-Chancellor, discard deck
-Counting House, draw all Coppers
-Madman, draw everything else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:33 pm »

I can do it with three cards, not requiring shuffle luck.

(2 Fishing Villages from last turn)
-Chancellor, discard deck
-Counting House, draw all Coppers
-Madman, draw everything else.

I don't think there are enough Copper to make that work unless you are also doing the duration shenanigans.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 26, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »

But it is set aside, so no set aside cards as a rule for the puzzle would apply to it, would it not?

Edit: Okay... I guess looking back, the rules say "At some point after the start of my turn, I have five cards in hand, no cards on any mats, no cards set aside.", so if it was possible to not set Prince aside, and the cards it played kept your hand size at 5, then it would fit into the stipulations.

Actually the cards can increase your handsize. I don't see any other way than drawing your deck and trashing most of it, actually.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 26, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »
+2

The stipulation is that sometime after the start of turn, you have 5 cards in hand, then draw everything else by playing 2 cards.  It says nothing about any previous cards that brought you to that 5 card state, or about other cards in play.

9 Fishing Villages in play from last turn.
-Play Chancellor, discarding deck.
-Play University, gaining an Inn, shuffling all Actions in my discard into my deck.
-Play Jack of all Trades, drawing back up to 5, and emptying the Silver pile.
--------------------(now at point where puzzle starts)-----------------------
-Play Scrying Pool, drawing deck.
-Play Madman, drawing everything else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 26, 2015, 06:31:25 pm »

Oh. I always read it so that you could draw your deck before playing a single card... Oops.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 26, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »

The stipulation is that sometime after the start of turn, you have 5 cards in hand, then draw everything else by playing 2 cards.  It says nothing about any previous cards that brought you to that 5 card state, or about other cards in play.

-Play University, gaining an Inn, shuffling all Actions in my discard into my deck.

Well, you've got 92 Actions in your deck(if you're only playing 10 card piles), of which you're playing 14, with 78 left over. So your max hand size for Madman is 79. But there's 59 Copper, 39 Silver, 29 Gold, 13 Potion, 21 Victory cards, and 9 Curses left, for a total of 170 cards you have to draw(minus one you got from Scrying Pool). So you need some more stipulations on the cards you have i.e. you need piles bigger than 10.

Also, to fulfill the puzzle, you need to have something to gain from the trash(Rogue/Graverobber), otherwise you don't have the Hermit you trashed to get Madman and your deck does not have maximal size.

Probably need Rats, Young Witch, Page, and Peasant(adding 10, 10, 20, 20 cards). Also having Ruins would help. You also can get more Madmen for even more Action cards.

This only leaves 4 more Kingdom card slots, so you have to pick and choose the remaining ones. Rats, Page, Young Witch, and Peasant bane fill out all but the last slot, and don't cover the difference.

I don't think it's possible to get any more without the help of Black Market, with the rest of the Action cards not in the Supply. That should definitely cover the difference, and it frees up slots you only play one of, all the cards in your 5 card hand. So you can take Port, Urchin, Tournament, etc. and make it up to drawing your whole deck.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 27, 2015, 01:35:11 am »

I haven't figured out the answer to this myself so it's open-ended, for now at least.

Scrying Pool is a really weird card. As long as you have the right deck composition, you can draw your entire deck with just one play of the card. Sure, you can do that with something like Council Room or Ranger if your deck is thin enough, and if you have a big enough hand you can draw everything with Madman or Crossroads or such, but there's no other card that can put your whole deck in your hand on one play regardless of deck and hand size.

...or is it? Can you think of another card that can do that?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 27, 2015, 01:47:21 am »
+1

I haven't figured out the answer to this myself so it's open-ended, for now at least.

Scrying Pool is a really weird card. As long as you have the right deck composition, you can draw your entire deck with just one play of the card. Sure, you can do that with something like Council Room or Ranger if your deck is thin enough, and if you have a big enough hand you can draw everything with Madman or Crossroads or such, but there's no other card that can put your whole deck in your hand on one play regardless of deck and hand size.

Counting House, as long as your draw pile is empty and your discard is composed entirely of Coppers.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:38 am »
+1

Q: Isn't Scrying Pool, like, ridiculously good?
A: Yes.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:58 pm »

There is another card.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 27, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to prohibit Durations. Durations are now prohibited. Who can still do it?

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 27, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »

scrying pool, madman? Hard mode.... surely we can at least choose our starting hand?

You can choose the two cards you want to play. These are in your hand.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:46 pm »

Cool Solution. And now do it with no cards in play additionally.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 27, 2015, 01:11:00 pm »

To be clear, are you now requiring these two cards be played at the start of your turn?  Or can you, for example, call a reserve card first?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 27, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »

By play only 2 cards, does that rule out things like Golem and Herald?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 27, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »
+1

scrying pool, madman? Hard mode.... surely we can at least choose our starting hand?

I think this implies that you can't choose the other 3 cards in your hand, but if for some reason not, Storyteller + 3 Philosopher’s Stones can get 3/5ths of your deck I guess, there is maybe some way of guaranteeing you can draw the rest from there.

Miser can't be worth enough, and I don't think there is a way to build Pirate Ship here, but if there is, and calling reserves is allowed, Pirate Ship for infinite coins, then call Coin of the Realm, and play Storyteller.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:45:04 pm by Deadlock39 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:10 pm »
+2

I think this implies that you can't choose the other 3 cards in your hand, but if for some reason not, Storyteller + 3 Philosopher’s Stones can get 3/5ths of your deck I guess, there is maybe some way of guaranteeing you can draw the rest from there.

Miser can't be worth enough, and I don't think there is a way to build Pirate Ship here, but if there is, and calling reserves is allowed, Pirate Ship for infinite coins, then call Coin of the Realm, and play Storyteller.

The first one doesn't work because you should be counting those 3 PStones as played cards as well.

Pirate Ship is a more likely approach, but calling CotR wouldn't work because the puzzle specifies no cards on mats.  I was asking about Reserves because there is that weird "some point after the start of your turn" wording which might let you get away with calling Reserves at the start of the turn, before you play anything.

Edit: So here's a way to make it work.  Massive Pirate Ship built up via Graverobber on Silver, which can be retrieved from the opponent afterwards via Masquerade or something.  No big deal there.  +1 Action token on Pirate Ship.  Play PS, followed by Storyteller.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:45:41 pm by eHalcyon »

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:51 pm »
+1

The first one doesn't work because you should be counting those 3 PStones as played cards as well.

Pirate Ship is a more likely approach, but calling CotR wouldn't work because the puzzle specifies no cards on mats.  I was asking about Reserves because there is that weird "some point after the start of your turn" wording which might let you get away with calling Reserves at the start of the turn, before you play anything.

Edit: So here's a way to make it work.  Massive Pirate Ship built up via Graverobber on Silver, which can be retrieved from the opponent afterwards via Masquerade or something.  No big deal there.  +1 Action token on Pirate Ship.  Play PS, followed by Storyteller.

Masquerade doesn't work, cause you have to pass them something, unless you empty your hand. Do Rogue instead of Graverobber, and you each have a Rogue; when you're done building up Pirate Ship, Rogue their Rogue and get it back from the trash.

Didn't think about tokens actually, that might make it much easier cause you can lead with a terminal. I'll guess that if the OP didn't use them, they'll be banned next.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 27, 2015, 07:03:05 pm »

Masquerade doesn't work, cause you have to pass them something, unless you empty your hand. Do Rogue instead of Graverobber, and you each have a Rogue; when you're done building up Pirate Ship, Rogue their Rogue and get it back from the trash.

Didn't think about tokens actually, that might make it much easier cause you can lead with a terminal. I'll guess that if the OP didn't use them, they'll be banned next.

There are lots of ways to empty your hand first.  Alternatively, you could gain the Graverobber yourself and then Masquerade to give it to them.  Later, Masquerade and swap back!  But sure, Rogue would be simpler.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 27, 2015, 07:06:23 pm »

My deck has maximal size (i.e. 2 piles run out, all other at 1 card left, and all the cards missing from the supply are mine). At some point after the start of my turn, I have five cards in hand, no cards on any mats, no cards set aside. I play two cards (and no more than two cards). Now my deck and discard pile are empty. Which two cards did I play?

Hard mode: No perfect shuffle luck.

Damn, I had such a good solution going, but then I realized no cards are set aside. Shame.

I guess I'll make my own puzzle instead, allowing set aside cards. Only two cards are set aside, with the rest of the conditions held. Additionally, I only played one card this turn. What card did I play and how?

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 28, 2015, 03:52:35 am »

That's what I had in mind.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »

What is the only non-Potion-costing Supply card that you can never Duplicate?

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.