Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 814002 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1275 on: February 16, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »
+1

Solution 6: Buy Mandarin every turn, with the Bane being a Treasure(Fool's Gold, Loan, Masterpiece) and with sufficient other Treasure to buy Mandarin next turn.

Sounds like a rather short game. Or do you Ambassador it back each turn?

Well, while you're engaging in this complicated Mandarin/Bane golden deck, your opponent is buying all the Provinces.

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:13 am »

Solution 7(although its sort of a variation of another solution): You prince a scheme and topdeck your bane card each turn.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:19 am »

Solution 6: Buy Mandarin every turn, with the Bane being a Treasure(Fool's Gold, Loan, Masterpiece) and with sufficient other Treasure to buy Mandarin next turn.

Sounds like a rather short game. Or do you Ambassador it back each turn?

Well, while you're engaging in this complicated Mandarin/Bane golden deck, your opponent is buying all the Provinces.
Maybe you've bought exactly 6 Provinces and an Estate, but your opponent has all the Duchies and the Estates are low. You've taken some Curses and probably can't buy another Province this game. But, if you can 3 pile without taking a Curse ever, your opponent can't buy the last Province or he'll lose. Kind of convoluted though I'm sure there's a simpler reason you wouldn't just lose. Maybe it's your only hope e.g. Plat+FG and you can buy Mandarin assuring you draw a Silver for the Province you need to win eventually, without taking the critical Curse that would mean you lose when you buy it.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:50 am »

Solution 7(although its sort of a variation of another solution): You prince a scheme and topdeck your bane card each turn.
Yeah, Prince helps a lot actually. Solution 5 works, just Prince whatever Action card it is(with Highway, maybe) and don't draw any more cards this turn. Similarly, Solution 4 also works, Prince a discard action and Scav.
Solution 8(kind of cheating a little): The Bane card is Masquerade(or really, anything that doesn't lose you your hand also), and your deck is KC/KC/Goons/Bane(or Monument)/Masquerade
Also in this category: Any kind of Pin deck that can both prevent your opponent from ever junking you, and can also guarantee Bane each turn.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1279 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:40 am »

Solution..8?
Your opponent has no cards in their deck, but has Prince'd a Stonemason, so they can never buy/gain anything besides a curse or copper (unless you give them something).  Your deck has 5 cards, including 1 Bane.  You never gain anything else.

As an aside... you can win this game if a pile is empty besides coppers/curses, you have Watchtower, and are ahead in VP (you have 1 Duchy).  I.e. you can 3-pile, while keeping your deck at 5 cards, and win.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 19, 2015, 12:44:59 pm »

Solution..8?
Your opponent has no cards in their deck, but has Prince'd a Stonemason, so they can never buy/gain anything besides a curse or copper (unless you give them something).  Your deck has 5 cards, including 1 Bane.  You never gain anything else.

As an aside... you can win this game if a pile is empty besides coppers/curses, you have Watchtower, and are ahead in VP (you have 1 Duchy).  I.e. you can 3-pile, while keeping your deck at 5 cards, and win.

This is so overly complicated and hyper-specific, and involves the opponent being in a nonsensical position.

It can be much simpler.  You have fewer than 6 cards total, and one is the bane.  You also have Watchtower (maybe as the bane itself) which prevents you from receiving any junk.  Or, there is no way remaining for you to get junk (no attacks other than YW, or the relevant piles are already empty).

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 19, 2015, 05:34:13 pm »

Solution..8?

This is so overly complicated and hyper-specific, and involves the opponent being in a nonsensical position.

It can be much simpler.  You have fewer than 6 cards total, and one is the bane.  You also have Watchtower (maybe as the bane itself) which prevents you from receiving any junk.  Or, there is no way remaining for you to get junk (no attacks other than YW, or the relevant piles are already empty).
Not unless he Masquerades it to you... I think that's cheating though. Bishop/WT/Gold/Gold/Gold seems like it could win games, with the every turn Bane being relevant.

Solution 3.1415926535897: You pay your opponent $50 in real money. He Masquerades you 9 more copies of the Bane and 7 Provinces, then buys the last Province.

Is there a way to make a solution that holds up to an opponent with a deck of KC/Masquerade? Maybe you need 2 Fortresses...

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »

Saying Masquerade is not in the kingdom, or at least somehow unavailable to your opponent, seems like a perfectly reasonable specification, especially at this stage.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1283 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:19 am »

Why would it ever be a good idea to play a Bank before other treasures?  I can think of 2 distinct situations (but there are probably more), 1 of which involves a reaction card and 1 of which does not.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:11 am »

Why would it ever be a good idea to play a Bank before other treasures?  I can think of 2 distinct situations (but there are probably more), 1 of which involves a reaction card and 1 of which does not.

Before any treasures, or before some treasures?  Because if it's just some, I can think of HoP off of the top of my head.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1285 on: February 25, 2015, 11:56:53 am »

Before any treasures, or before some treasures?  Because if it's just some, I can think of HoP off of the top of my head.

Yes, any treasure can be played after Bank.  And I forgot about HoP.  So that's a third situation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1286 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:39 pm »

Two Banks. You want to play one of the Banks before the other one.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

I also had the two banks, and all sorts of scenario's with Black Market. I don't know for how many you want to count those.

I don't see any reaction-shenanigans where playing the other treasures after the bank is better.
Join the Dominion League!

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:44 pm »

Extension of HoP: you intend to use HoP to gain a Mandarin and top-deck the Bank, but you don't want to top-deck your weaker treasures like Coppers, so you play them after HoP and therefore after Bank.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1289 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »

I also had the two banks, and all sorts of scenario's with Black Market. I don't know for how many you want to count those.

I don't see any reaction-shenanigans where playing the other treasures after the bank is better.

Ok, the Bank after Bank solution is lame.  Not what I was thinking.  Though I guess technically it works.
Why specifically would you want to play a Bank before some other treasure, even with Black Market?

Extension of HoP: you intend to use HoP to gain a Mandarin and top-deck the Bank, but you don't want to top-deck your weaker treasures like Coppers, so you play them after HoP and therefore after Bank.

Good one, hadn't thought of this.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: February 25, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »

Or, you want to buy a Mandarin and put your banks and no Coppers on your deck, so you play several Banks and buy a Mandarin.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:16 pm »

Ok, the Bank after Bank solution is lame.  Not what I was thinking.  Though I guess technically it works.
Why specifically would you want to play a Bank before some other treasure, even with Black Market?

You play Black Market and have Bank in hand.  You play Bank to help buy stuff from the Black Market.  After, you play more cards and draw more treasure, which you play in the Buy phase after Bank has already been played.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1292 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:39 pm »

You play Black Market and have Bank in hand.  You play Bank to help buy stuff from the Black Market.  After, you play more cards and draw more treasure, which you play in the Buy phase after Bank has already been played.

Yep, that's scenario 1 of my 2 I was originally thinking of.  Although I was specifically thinking of when you have a treasure in your hand *when* you play the Bank, that you don't play.  E.g. you play Black Market, you have a Gold but you don't play it, you play the Bank an buy a Remodel, then play other stuff to draw the Remodel, the Remodel the Gold into a Province, or something like that.  This is a special case of what you mentioned, which works.

My other scenario -- the one that involves a reaction card -- is still unknown.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:18:39 pm by Dingan »

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:44 pm »
+1

You have no Treasures in your deck or discard pile. You Counterfeit a Bank, trashing it to activate a Market Square, gaining a Gold. You then play Venture to get and play the Gold.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1294 on: February 25, 2015, 03:53:37 pm »

You have no Treasures in your deck or discard pile. You Counterfeit a Bank, trashing it to activate a Market Square, gaining a Gold. You then play Venture to get and play the Gold.

That works!  Guess I'll point out what I had in mind, which is fairly different:
You you have several buys and a lot of money to spend.  You play your Bank(s).  You overpay for a Masterpiece to gain several silvers.  You then buy a couple Cultists (or, similarly, gain them via overpaying for Stonemason), but trash them via Watchtower.  This draws you the silvers you had just gained.  Perhaps you are ending the game on piles with the silvers, and buying a Province, which is why you didn't simply buy Provinces with all your money in the first place.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 25, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »
+2

That works!  Guess I'll point out what I had in mind, which is fairly different:
You you have several buys and a lot of money to spend.  You play your Bank(s).  You overpay for a Masterpiece to gain several silvers.  You then buy a couple Cultists (or, similarly, gain them via overpaying for Stonemason), but trash them via Watchtower.  This draws you the silvers you had just gained.  Perhaps you are ending the game on piles with the silvers, and buying a Province, which is why you didn't simply buy Provinces with all your money in the first place.

Once you've started buying cards in your buy phase, you can't play any more Treasures. So even if there was a point in getting those Silvers into your hand, you wouldn't be able to play them, and the Bank(s) would still be last.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1296 on: February 26, 2015, 07:24:10 am »

Once you've started buying cards in your buy phase, you can't play any more Treasures. So even if there was a point in getting those Silvers into your hand, you wouldn't be able to play them, and the Bank(s) would still be last.

Oh right, duh.  Welp, I'm done with making puzzles for now then.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1297 on: March 02, 2015, 07:45:31 am »

I bought a Grand Market this turn, but I also have coppers in play (they are still in play -- they weren't Counterfeited away).  How?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:47 am »
+5

I bought a Grand Market this turn, but I also have coppers in play (they are still in play -- they weren't Counterfeited away).  How?

Buy it from the Black Market and put the Coppers in play later.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:09 am »

I'm guessing Mint or Mandarin are incorrect answers?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.