Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 814448 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1200 on: January 31, 2015, 05:01:30 pm »
+1

I just bought an Estate for $5. On my next turn, I won the game because of that. Why? (this actually happened so you can cheat by searching for my recent games against faust on gokosalvager if you want)

Some obvious answers that didn't actually happen:
  • the Duchy pile was empty/embargoed/contrabanded/in a disadvantageous PPR situation, and I needed the point
  • Baron was in the kingdom and I needed something to discard
  • Something cared about the card's name and having a card named Estate was more beneficial than other options

I can think of at least two other reasons in addition to the reason why I actually did it.

So, the reason for this was that I wanted to Upgrade something into the last Oracle for the purpose of leveling up Cities at the right time (during my action phase), and Estate was the only $2 card available.

Here's another puzzle:

I have Treasure cards in play during my action phase. Black Market is not in the supply. How is this possible? (didn't actually happen)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 31, 2015, 05:20:23 pm »
+2

Since there is no valid definition of 'score' in dominion until the game ends, when you say the score was 27 to 24 then under the common interpretation which is the one salvager uses, it means 'if the game ended now' the score would be 27 to 24, which is not the case. Also, if you want to only count things in your deck the 2VP from each island does not count either as they are not in your deck and you only get point for victory cards in your deck at the end of the game.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 31, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

I just bought an Estate for $5. On my next turn, I won the game because of that. Why? (this actually happened so you can cheat by searching for my recent games against faust on gokosalvager if you want)

Some obvious answers that didn't actually happen:
  • the Duchy pile was empty/embargoed/contrabanded/in a disadvantageous PPR situation, and I needed the point
  • Baron was in the kingdom and I needed something to discard
  • Something cared about the card's name and having a card named Estate was more beneficial than other options

I can think of at least two other reasons in addition to the reason why I actually did it.

So, the reason for this was that I wanted to Upgrade something into the last Oracle for the purpose of leveling up Cities at the right time (during my action phase), and Estate was the only $2 card available.

Here's another puzzle:

I have Treasure cards in play during my action phase. Black Market is not in the supply. How is this possible? (didn't actually happen)

It has to be some niche, since it's not listed as a combo with Tactician.

Would having a card like Rebuild draw a copper count as having it in play? Adventurer?

Haven. Does that count?

Does trashing cards from your hand put them (temporarily) in play?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1203 on: January 31, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Would having a card like Rebuild draw a copper count as having it in play? Adventurer?

Haven. Does that count?

Those don't count.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:50 pm »

Since there is no valid definition of 'score' in dominion until the game ends, when you say the score was 27 to 24 then under the common interpretation which is the one salvager uses, it means 'if the game ended now' the score would be 27 to 24, which is not the case. Also, if you want to only count things in your deck the 2VP from each island does not count either as they are not in your deck and you only get point for victory cards in your deck at the end of the game.

We can get philosophical. I can end up having 0 points until the end of the game. Sure. Most people would count the Islanded points. But the actual rules say Silk Road doesn't work unless you have enough green in your deck, and Island takes cards out of your deck until the end of the game.

It's just a puzzle. It doesn't change the game in any way, the result is the same either way.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 31, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

Haven. Does that count?

Those don't count.

Unless you count Coin Tokens as Treasures, I don't see an answer.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1206 on: January 31, 2015, 05:39:37 pm »

Haven. Does that count?

Those don't count.

Unless you count Coin Tokens as Treasures, I don't see an answer.

Coin tokens don't count as Treasures and there is an answer. It's a rather simple one, too.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:14 pm »
+1

All the Black Markets have been bought.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:50 pm »

If that's the answer, I will be sad. But that might be technically true.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1209 on: January 31, 2015, 05:46:12 pm »

That's the answer.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 31, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »
+1

That's the answer.

I am sad.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 31, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
+2

The better answer is that you got black market out of the black market deck.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 31, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »
+1

Or as a prize from tournament.

EDIT: Damn, I am not a jester anymore, but a saboteur. Enough with the jokes now. Everything sucks.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 31, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »
+4

EDIT: Damn, I am not a jester anymore, but a saboteur. Enough with the jokes now. Everything sucks.
It's like someone took everything of yours away, and replaced it with something not quite as good.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 31, 2015, 07:36:11 pm »

Island takes all cards outside of your deck until the end of the game. It says that it returns all cards to your deck at the end of the game,  and even though the VP is still there, it will not physically be in your deck. It takes 4 Victory Cards in your deck for Silk Road to count VP.

I've explored the options of Gardens, but you need at least 12 cards to get +2 with Gardens, and that means +1 VP for the 3 Gardens, revealing the ruse.

I can see the debate here, and it's all up to what Donald X. says. It doesn't change the game either way, it's just an interesting niche.

It's like someone took everything of yours away, and replaced it with something not quite as good.

Donald. We need you.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 31, 2015, 07:52:20 pm »
+9

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 31, 2015, 07:53:43 pm »

You have treasure cards in play during your action phase. Black Market isn't in the supply nor in the trash. If you don't play anymore cards and the game ends after your turn, then you wouldn't end up with any Black Markets in your deck. How is this possible?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:38 pm »
+2

You have treasure cards in play during your action phase. Black Market isn't in the supply nor in the trash. If you don't play anymore cards and the game ends after your turn, then you wouldn't end up with any Black Markets in your deck. How is this possible?
We bought out the Black Markets. I Procession my only Black Market, Graverobber it back, then Masquerade it to my opponent (who does not give me one back, phew).

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 31, 2015, 08:01:17 pm »
+2

Procession. You've played your Treasures, but haven't finished resolving the second Black Market play, so it isn't in the trash yet.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02:28 pm »

Donald. We need you.
http://xkcd.com/169/

Did... Did you just rip my arm off?

Serious question though. Do Islanded cards count as part of your deck? Would Silk Road count these Islanded cards before the game ends? It doesn't matter at all cuz points only matter in the end of the game, but it would be cool to know regardless.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:39 pm »
+1

Donald. We need you.
http://xkcd.com/169/

Did... Did you just rip my arm off?

Serious question though. Do Islanded cards count as part of your deck? Would Silk Road count these Islanded cards before the game ends? It doesn't matter at all cuz points only matter in the end of the game, but it would be cool to know regardless.

I assume that if counting your score mid-game, it's counted as "If the game were to end now, my score would be.....", so you include those cards returned to your deck at the end of the game.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:11 pm »

Your deck is that pile of cards in front of you. It doesn't include your hand, discard pile, cards in play, or set aside cards. I feel like this must be clear in the rulebook, but hey maybe you have a foreign version with a bad translation.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 31, 2015, 08:16:56 pm »

We bought out the Black Markets. I Procession my only Black Market, Graverobber it back, then Masquerade it to my opponent (who does not give me one back, phew).

Exactly the solution I was thinking of. Also works with Ambassador.

Procession. You've played your Treasures, but haven't finished resolving the second Black Market play, so it isn't in the trash yet.

Nice catch :)

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 31, 2015, 08:48:56 pm »

Would Silk Road count these Islanded cards before the game ends?

By common-sense convention, yes. It's not a question that requires a DXV ruling.

If you're going for a strict interpretation of the official rules, the question is meaningless, because strictly officially, there is no "score" at all before the game ends.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 01, 2015, 09:05:12 am »

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.