Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808522 times)

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #1025 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

Wait, how does it. What?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:03 pm »
+1

What's the only missing card in this set?

Alchemist
Menagerie
Moat
Pawn
Smugglers
Storeroom
Warehouse

I was hoping it'd be Jack of All Trades, but looks like it's just barely not. So, Great Hall, then?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »

Still waiting for someone to try my latest puzzle...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:21 am »

I was hoping it'd be Jack of All Trades, but looks like it's just barely not. So, Great Hall, then?

Me too, and yes!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 11, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »
+1

Wait, how does it. What?

It was 4 consecutive consonants.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 11, 2014, 03:18:54 pm »
+1

What is the common property of these cards:

Gardens
Ironworks
Mining Village
Duke
Feodum
Junk Dealer
Overgrown Estate
Journeyman
Merchant Guild
Envoy

Hint: Only the name of the card matters.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 11, 2014, 03:25:06 pm »
+4

What is the common property of these cards:

Gardens
Ironworks
Mining Village
Duke
Feodum
Junk Dealer
Overgrown Estate
Journeyman
Merchant Guild
Envoy

Hint: Only the name of the card matters.

They're all not Moat.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 11, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »
+2

the number of letters in their name is equal to the position of the first letter in the alphabet.

cool puzzle.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 11, 2014, 03:30:46 pm »

Though you probably shouldn't put the hint in spoilers, because you're never going to solve the puzzle without it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 11, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »

Though you probably shouldn't put the hint in spoilers, because you're never going to solve the puzzle without it.

Probably, I'm bad at judging how hard a puzzle is when I already know the answer.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1035 on: December 16, 2014, 10:00:37 am »

Pretty interesting puzzle to think about...

If the kingdom were not limited to 10 cards, but rather ALL cards from ALL sets and all promos were in the kingdom, what would be the best openers ($4/$3 and $5/$2) and long-term strategy?  Assume 2 player, Colony game.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 16, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

If the kingdom were not limited to 10 cards, but rather ALL cards from ALL sets and all promos were in the kingdom, what would be the best openers ($4/$3 and $5/$2) and long-term strategy?  Assume 2 player, Colony game.

If all cards are in, the opening can also be $4/$4 or $6/$2 or $5/$3. With both Chapel and Quarry for support, I have to say the Pin is the correct answer, so you HAVE to go fast for lighthouse or some Reaction before you can be pinned. Maybe the best would be to open with a $6 Doctor? I would say you want a LH in play every turn and then some good engine with KC/Bridge and Quarries being the prime candidates to have good pile control. This definitely ends on piles and really fast.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 16, 2014, 10:14:24 am »

If all cards are in, the opening can also be $4/$4 or $6/$2 or $5/$3. With both Chapel and Quarry for support, I have to say the Pin is the correct answer, so you HAVE to go fast for lighthouse or some Reaction before you can be pinned. Maybe the best would be to open with a $6 Doctor? I would say you want a LH in play every turn and then some good engine with KC/Bridge and Quarries being the prime candidates to have good pile control. This definitely ends on piles and really fast.

You don't need attack cards to make the pin. You can do it with Village, Outpost, King's Court and Masquerade.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 16, 2014, 10:40:11 am »

You don't need attack cards to make the pin. You can do it with Village, Outpost, King's Court and Masquerade.

They can protect and counter-attack any pin with Durations. But that kingdom is definitely some kind of pin-war, with the addition of Possession possibly.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 16, 2014, 11:11:33 am »

They can protect and counter-attack any pin with Durations. But that kingdom is definitely some kind of pin-war, with the addition of Possession possibly.

But how fast can you set up the pin?  There ate some really fast mega turn strategies out there too...

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1040 on: December 16, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

But how fast can you set up the pin?  There ate some really fast mega turn strategies out there too...

My gut reaction says to go Sage + Ghost Ship (with the +1 from Baker), because that could set up the pin pretty quickly, then go for some sort of Lighthouse+Village+draw up to X+Bridge+KC eventually.  But this would be very luck dependent (as all my strategies are, haha).  I considered Goons+Lighthouse but Goons is pretty much just a Militia at the beginning of the game.  Maybe Urchin+Ghost Ship?  Or Warehouse+Urchin+Abassador (via Stonemason)?  Honestly, I have no idea.  Assuming both players could play a Lighthouse every turn, of course that would change the game drastically.  And Possession always lurking out there would screw up any strategy, especially ones with Masquerade or Ambassador.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:37:36 am by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 16, 2014, 11:46:40 am »

My gut reaction says to go Sage + Ghost Ship (with the +1 from Baker), because that could set up the pin pretty quickly, then go for some sort of Lighthouse+Village+draw up to X+Bridge+KC eventually.  But this would be very luck dependent (as all my strategies are, haha).  I considered Goons+Lighthouse but Goons is pretty much just a Militia at the beginning of the game.  Maybe Urchin+Ghost Ship?  Or Warehouse+Urchin+Abassador (via Stonemason)?  Honestly, I have no idea.  Assuming both players could play a Lighthouse every turn, of course that would change the game drastically.  And Possession always lurking out there would screw up any strategy, especially ones with Masquerade or Ambassador.

I'm pretty sure the fastest pins will start with Chapel, or just maybe Doctor.  Sage shouldn't factor in at all.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 16, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »
+6

If you prefer luck-dependent strategies, you could always aim to empty the supply on turn 3.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 16, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

If you prefer luck-dependent strategies, you could always aim to empty the supply on turn 3.

Is there a way? I thought it was still t4 at earliest.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »
+1

Depends on if you can distract your opponent for long enough to sneak a Silver into your starting deck.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:11 pm »

If you have an opponent there's a way. Even if your opponent isn't helpful, it's still possible to win on turn 3.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 16, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »

I highly doubt that you go for the pin. I think you just go for a procession/fortress/watchtower thing

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »

Oh, wait, we're talking about the kingdom with all cards in it again? We've been over this one - upgrade/fortress is dominant.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 16, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »

Oh, wait, we're talking about the kingdom with all cards in it again? We've been over this one - upgrade/fortress is dominant.

Don't you mean upgrade/rats? The three-pile is faster.

EDIT: thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:06:11 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1049 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:05 am »

This might have been answered elsewhere, and people alluded to it in previous posts, but...

What is the earliest turn in which a game can end?  Assume no one quits.

For the sake of discussion, let there be "half turns".  I.e. turn 1.0 would be {player 1 does actions, buys, cleans up, etc.}; turn 1.5 would be player 2 does that stuff; turn 2.0 is player 1 doe that stuff; and so on (yes, even though I'm a computer scientist, I'm starting counting at 1, not 0).

Shenanigans (Bakers, Nomad Camp, Black Market, Bane cards, etc.) are allowed.

EDIT: Assume 2 players.  Of course the game can end in less than 1 turn if there are enough players.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:52:08 pm by Dingan »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.