Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808553 times)

simval

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #900 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »

Here's an easy puzzle:

What do these cards have in common?

Embargo
Pirate Ship
Treasure Map
Golem
Crossroads
Fool's Gold
Rats
Black Market

And which cards should also be on this list?
Interesting. Was really confused at first, but I believe it's self-referencing themselves by name.

Others: Native Village, Trade Route, Duchess, Madman, Spoils, Cultist

Still confused. Was this the good answer ? Isn't every card referencing to itself ?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 21, 2014, 08:00:07 pm »

Here's an easy puzzle:

Embargo
Pirate Ship
Treasure Map
Golem
Crossroads
Fool's Gold
Rats
Black Market

Interesting. Was really confused at first, but I believe it's self-referencing themselves by name.

Still confused. Was this the good answer ? Isn't every card referencing to itself ?

I think it's supposed to be explicit.  That is, the card text explicitly contains the card name. For example, Smithy doesn't say "Smithy", it only says "+3 cards". Cultist actually references "Cultist".

simval

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 21, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »

Here's an easy puzzle:

Embargo
Pirate Ship
Treasure Map
Golem
Crossroads
Fool's Gold
Rats
Black Market

I think it's supposed to be explicit.  That is, the card text explicitly contains the card name. For example, Smithy doesn't say "Smithy", it only says "+3 cards". Cultist actually references "Cultist".

Ooooooooooooooooooooh ! I was stuck thinking about the card's name.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 22, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »

Here's an easy puzzle:

Embargo
Pirate Ship
Treasure Map
Golem
Crossroads
Fool's Gold
Rats
Black Market

There is also Island and Transmute. And Curse, which says Curse in a line other than its name.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 22, 2014, 05:24:42 pm »

Here's an easy puzzle:

Embargo
Pirate Ship
Treasure Map
Golem
Crossroads
Fool's Gold
Rats
Black Market

There is also Island and Transmute. And Curse, which says Curse in a line other than its name.

Good catch on Transmute. Island doesn't seem to fit, though; its wording is different from Native Village. Curse is up in the air depending on specifics.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 22, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:19 am »

I was going to make a thread, but it's too easy. So many more cards than I expected

Apothecary
Transmute
Possession
Mine
Moneylender
Thief
Fortune Teller
Menagerie
Harvest
Horn of Plenty
Hunting Party
Jester
Fairgrounds
Hermit
Poor House
Vagrant
Mystic
Doctor
Journeyman
Taxman
Jack of all Trades
Noble Brigand
Masquerade
Tribute
Wishing Well
Loan
Mountebank
Rabble
Venture
Pirate Ship
Ambassador
Cutpurse

Honorable Mentions: Forager, Mandarin

What is the common property of this list?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:52 am »

My guess would be they care about the name or type of a card, but then Possession doesn't fit.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 27, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »

My guess would be they care about the name or type of a card, but then Possession doesn't fit.

nope

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 27, 2014, 01:12:59 pm »

They all can theoretically be a reason to buy a copper or curse?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »

no, but you're close

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »
+3

no, but you're close
They are all cards that can be reasons to prefer a card to be a curse rather than a copper.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 27, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »

no, but you're close
They are all cards that can be reasons to prefer a card to be a curse rather than a copper.
yay

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 28, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

no, but you're close
yay

I don't see how that fits for Apothecary, Mine, or Moneylender.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:30 am »
+1

no, but you're close
yay

I don't see how that fits for Apothecary, Mine, or Moneylender.

1. Apothecary
There are 2 colonies left in the supply. You need both of them to win, and you need to buy them this turn and the next turn, or you will lose. Your hand is 5*apothecary. Your discard pile is 5 Estates; your draw pile is 11 Coppers. On top of your deck is: Platinum, Platinum, Copper, Copper, (XXX), Colony, Colony, Colony.

Case 1: XXX is a copper.
You play apothecary. You draw Platinum, Copper, Copper, Copper, and put Platinum on top of your deck. Your hand is now: 4*apothecary, Platinum, 3*Copper. That's not enough coin, so you need to play the other one. You play apothecary. You draw Platinum, reveal 3 Colones, shuffle, and reveal one Estate. You put these on top of your deck. You have 13$ and buy a colony. In your Cleanup, you draw 5 Estates.

Your opponent has his turn, it's a dead turn. Your turn again, your hand is 3*colony 2*Estate. You can't do anything, you give up your turn. on your next opponent's turn, he buys the last colony.

Case 2: XXX is a Curse
You play apothecary. You draw Platinum, Copper, Copper, and put Curse and then Platinum on top of your deck. You play the second Apothecary, you reveal Curse, Colony, Colony, Colony. You put these on top of your deck in any order. Your hand has 12$ and you buy the colony. In your Clean-up, you draw 3*Colony, Curse, shuffle everything, and draw apothecary.

On your opponent's turn, he has a dead hand, so you get another turn.

You play apothecary. You draw apothecary + 4* copper. You play apothecary, you draw Apothecary + 4*Copper. You play apothecary, you draw an Estate + 4*Copper. You buy the colony and win.

2. Mine
You are 4P behind, and the last Provinces is the only Victory card left in the supply. The copper pile has 2 cards in it, the silver pile one. Your hand is: Mine, 3*Estate, XX. In your turn, you missclick and play Mine (I know, bad solution, but otherwise you need another Action card to make it work). If it's copper, you have to trash it and either end on a 3pile (silvers, duchies, estates), or take the copper and allow him to end on a 3-pile with coppers. you could have bought the province next turn!

3. Moneylender
If you really need a card because it will allow you to trash it with forager which will give you +1 buy and allow you to buy another colony or something. Needs other Action cards.

#2 and #3 could be cut. Apothecary is legit though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:13:44 am by silverspawn »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 28, 2014, 07:15:48 am »

and, uhhh, of course 1) doesn't work because you need prosperity cards to have colonies. well, I'm sure that can be worked out. You got the idea, anyway.

depending on the exact wording of the puzzle (which I didn't define), it's also okay if you need other Action cards, than all of them work! Herald or TR - TR - Draw forces you to play them.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 28, 2014, 09:05:10 am »
+1

and, uhhh, of course 1) doesn't work because you need prosperity cards to have colonies. well, I'm sure that can be worked out. You got the idea, anyway.

depending on the exact wording of the puzzle (which I didn't define), it's also okay if you need other Action cards, than all of them work! Herald or TR - TR - Draw forces you to play them.

apothecary: You can just rather have a curse on your deck then a copper in your hand, right? For example when followed by chancellor + library.

moneylender: if you have all the gardens, losing a card can be really painful.

mine: I can only make this work with a near-empty copper & silver pile either. Seems far stretched.

The one that I don't get is Horn of Plenty.
Join the Dominion League!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 28, 2014, 09:35:38 am »

apothecary: You can just rather have a curse on your deck then a copper in your hand, right? For example when followed by chancellor + library.

moneylender: if you have all the gardens, losing a card can be really painful.

mine: I can only make this work with a near-empty copper & silver pile either. Seems far stretched.

The one that I don't get is Horn of Plenty.

well but my example for apothecary works without any other Kingdom cards. just replace platinum with gold and colony with province.

horn of plenty is of course a mistake.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:52 am »

HoP: You want exactly 4 uniques, copper would be a sixth. So you would rather have venture skip everything (curse) than play a copper. You have to play the venture to get 4 uniques. The reason you want exactly 4 is that so your opponent doesn't know that you would have taken the 4-cost(s) even if you had 5.

Okay, that's a bit far-fetched and requires venture (the only way that playing a copper can be forced), but there you go.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 28, 2014, 09:50:32 am »

HoP: You want exactly 4 uniques, copper would be a sixth. So you would rather have venture skip everything (curse) than play a copper. You have to play the venture to get 4 uniques. The reason you want exactly 4 is that so your opponent doesn't know that you would have taken the 4-cost(s) even if you had 5.

Okay, that's a bit far-fetched and requires venture (the only way that playing a copper can be forced), but there you go.

nah that's not legit, because it requires venture, which is in itself a reason to want curse. if that counts, herald must also count because it can trigger adventurer.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

nah that's not legit, because it requires venture, which is in itself a reason to want curse. if that counts, herald must also count because it can trigger adventurer.
No - in my example venture alone isn't enough, the HoP is necessary. In your example adventurer would be enough alone. But there is a case to be made for herald, golem, and TR

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »
+1

No - in my example venture alone isn't enough, the HoP is necessary. In your example adventurer would be enough alone. But there is a case to be made for herald, golem, and TR

Venture alone is enough, just for a different reason.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:05 pm »

that

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »

that
Certainly. However in this scenario the venture is not enough alone. If you insist, after the copper/curse I can put a duplicate silver, which you don't need the coins from, to make the cycling effect more irrelevant.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:34 pm »

that
Certainly. However in this scenario the venture is not enough alone. If you insist, after the copper/curse I can put a duplicate silver, which you don't need the coins from, to make the cycling effect more irrelevant.
it's not about what venture does. the point is if card A needs card B to have effect X, but card B is already capable of having effect X on its own, then card A gets no credit, even if card A can cause effect X in a way that uses another aspect of card B.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.