Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808390 times)

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #750 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:29 am »

You were going for a three-pile ending and wanted to activate your opponent's Beggar to help you empty the silver pile.

Hard to see this being the most common reason, though. Inducing the Beggar reaction in order to Thief/Pirate Ship/Noble Brigand the silver would seem more likely, but you said actions you played after it didn't matter.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
+2

You have mediocre cards in hand. You would be willing to trash them if it your opponent would have to discard. He reveals Moat so you'd rather keep those cards and choose not to trash.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54:53 pm »

You were going for a three-pile ending and wanted to activate your opponent's Beggar to help you empty the silver pile.

The stipulation in the statement of the puzzle that playing Mercenary is "strictly better" in this situation means that the reason can't depend on anything the opponent has the choice not to do.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 22, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »
+1

The stipulation in the statement of the puzzle that playing Mercenary is "strictly better" in this situation means that the reason can't depend on anything the opponent has the choice not to do.

Not necessarily, because your opponent doesn't have full knowledge of what you'll do on your turn.  One of my earlier suggestions was to give your opponent a chance to activate Horse Traders before you play Possession.  From your POV, you absolutely want that to happen.  From theirs, they are unsure.  You just played Mercenary, so maybe you intend to inflict a discard attack and don't even have Possession in hand, in which case they should activate HT.  But then again, you might not trash to Mercenary and you might have Possession after all. 

They get to make a choice, but it's win-neutral as far as you're concerned (if you had actions to spare and didn't need that Mercenary in hand for something else).  Either they activate HT and you benefit or they don't and it's neutral for you.  The possibility of benefit is strictly better than no chance of benefit.

You could probably set up a situation where activating Beggars is similarly a tough choice for the opponent.  Maybe the opponent is ahead and they could actually win by piling out silver on your turn, but there is a risk of you getting enough VP to pull into the lead.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:53:30 pm by eHalcyon »

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #754 on: October 22, 2014, 04:08:00 pm »

You guys are really overthinking it...

I don't think that's true at all. Everyone is coming up with plausible reasons that are not outlawed by your definition of the problem, and they're not too hard to come up with: I thought of mine in about ten seconds, and I don't think anyone else is sitting around for ten minutes with steam coming out of their ears trying to think of an edge case. Nobody is over-thinking it, but you are under-thinking it by assuming that whatever particular edge case you ran into is by far the most obvious one. It looks obvious to you, because it actually happened, but it doesn't leap out at anyone else.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »

Oh I totally understand why nobody has gotten it yet. In saying that you are overthinking it I mean more that what happened is simpler than some of your answers that are quite convoluted. My answer is certainly not the most obvious one.

Big hint: I was planning to trash, but something happened which changed my mind.

I probably shouldn't have said strictly better, that is slightly misleading as there was a chance that it wouldn't matter. I consider a chance of something good to be strictly better than no chance of something good.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 22, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
+1

You wanted to Attack, and were willing to sacrifice decent cards for the Attack. When you play Mercenary, the opponent reveals Moat, and then you know the Attack is not happening anyway, so you decide +$2, +2 Cards alone is not worth trashing your nice cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 22, 2014, 04:40:37 pm »

You wanted to Attack, and were willing to sacrifice decent cards for the Attack. When you play Mercenary, the opponent reveals Moat, and then you know the Attack is not happening anyway, so you decide +$2, +2 Cards alone is not worth trashing your nice cards.

You have mediocre cards in hand. You would be willing to trash them if it your opponent would have to discard. He reveals Moat so you'd rather keep those cards and choose not to trash.

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #758 on: October 22, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »
+1

Big hint: I was planning to trash, but something happened which changed my mind.

Playing IRL, you wanted to attack your opponent, but he revealed a hand of 5 Doctors and you decided it was more urgent to get him medical attention since nobody of sound mind would do that in response to a Mercenary play.

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #759 on: October 22, 2014, 04:43:10 pm »

That certainly doesn't fall under "strictly better" to not trash: there are scenarios in which trashing could work out better than not trashing, even if opponent is blocking, so it's not strictly better.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 22, 2014, 04:49:18 pm »
+1

Sorry ehalcyon, I missed that. Soulnet and ehalcyon got it. In retrospect this puzzle wasn't very good.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:57 am »

Sorry ehalcyon, I missed that. Soulnet and ehalcyon got it. In retrospect this puzzle wasn't very good.
It sure kept me busy the last couple of days.

I had the most interesting scenarios with Secret Chamber, Tunnel and Minion, but they just didn't work out in the end.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 23, 2014, 07:30:42 am »

New puzzle, hopefully there are fewer answers. This one didn't actually happen. As first player, begin turn 3 with some number of cards in hand that isn't 5. For simplicity, no noble brigand shenanigans.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 23, 2014, 07:53:10 am »

New puzzle, hopefully there are fewer answers. This one didn't actually happen. As first player, begin turn 3 with some number of cards in hand that isn't 5. For simplicity, no noble brigand shenanigans.

Buy Fool's Gold on Turn 1 or 2 (or both). Draw it/them at the end of T2. Any opponent buys a Victory card in their T2, so you trash the FG / FGs, and start your T3 with 4 / 3 cards in hand.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:33:31 am by soulnet »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 23, 2014, 08:07:34 am »
+1

Buy Fool's Gold on Turn 1 or 2 (or both). Draw it/them at the end of T2. Any opponent buys a Victory card in their T2, so you trash the FG / FGs, and start your T3 with 4 / 3 cards in hand.

a victory card doesn't trigger FG, only a province does. how do your opponents spike 8$ in their T2?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:14 am »

a victory card doesn't trigger FG, only a province does. how do your opponents spike 8$ in their T2?

Zaps!  I always knew Soulnet was an Adventure bot.

dereeder

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:51 am »
+10

Baker board with estates.

Open CCCCC, buy Doctor, overpay 3 (using coin token), trash EEE.
Draw CC(shuffle)CCC
Play CCCCC, buy Mint
Draw CC, Doctor, Mint

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:37 am »
+1

Every time I read this thread, I get really disappointed when I can't solve a puzzle.  They're supposed to be "easy" puzzles.  The thread title says so.  Sure, easy puzzle aren't always fun puzzles.  But this thread wasn't promising fun puzzles.

Easy puzzle:
I open 3/4 on a board without Embassy.  When I reshuffle my deck for the first time, there are two silvers in it.  What were my opening buys?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:37 am »
+1

Every time I read this thread, I get really disappointed when I can't solve a puzzle.  They're supposed to be "easy" puzzles.  The thread title says so.  Sure, easy puzzle aren't always fun puzzles.  But this thread wasn't promising fun puzzles.

Easy puzzle:
I open 3/4 on a board without Embassy.  When I reshuffle my deck for the first time, there are two silvers in it.  What were my opening buys?

Ooh, ooh, I know! Silver/Silver, or Silver/Masterpiece(+1 overpay).

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:03 am »

yay!

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 23, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
+1

In solo play:

a. (not so easy) have a deck with total cost in coins of $35+ when shuffling for the first time during clean-up of T2.

b. (easier version, it helps to get the other one) have 9 Actions in the deck when shuffling for the first time during clean-up of T2.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:11:43 am by soulnet »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #771 on: October 23, 2014, 10:45:59 am »
+2

In solo play:

a. (not so easy) have a deck with total cost in coins of $35+ when shuffling for the first time.

b. (easier version, it helps to get the other one) have 8 Actions in the deck when shuffling for the first time.

Open 5/2, keep buying Mandarins.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
+1

b) baker baord, 5/2, overpay stonemason with 4$, gain 1 stonemason, 2 death carts, 4 ruins. buy stonemason with 2$.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13:04 am »

Open 5/2, keep buying Mandarins.

Oops, it was supposed to be harder than that. Edited the puzzle to make you shuffle in T2.

b) baker baord, 5/2, overpay stonemason with 4$, gain 1 stonemason, 2 death carts, 4 ruins. buy stonemason with 2$.

That was the idea. Edited the statement to have 9 instead of 8, because you can also have Necro for free.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 23, 2014, 11:24:01 am »
+1

Adventurer, Ambassador, Border Village, Butcher, Catacombs, Courtyard, Farmland, Ghost Ship, Goons, Grand Market, Horn Of Plenty, Hunting Grounds, Jack Of All Trades, Laboratory, Mining Village, Moneylender, Pearl Diver, Storeroom, Talisman, Village

exactly 1 card is missing.

hint: its all about the money
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.