Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808599 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #725 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
+1

In a two player game, I chose to play a mercenary but decided not to trash any cards. To have not played the mercenary would be a mistake (strictly worse than playing it), but trashing cards would have been a mistake too (strictly worse than not trashing). I did not play it for the following reasons:

- to have it in play (e.g., for horn of plenty or peddler)
- to get it out of my hand (e.g., shanty town, farmland, or even something like forager)

What was the rationale behind my decision? I can only think of exactly one scenario where all of the statements above are true.

You have an Urchin in play that you want to upgrade to Mercenary. You have no junk in hand to trash now, but you have enough in your deck that a second Mercenary is welcome.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:58 pm »
+1

Is "to get it out of your deck" a valid reason?  In this case, you don't really care that it's in play, and you the fact that it's no longer in your hand is unimportant.  The specific scenario: you are playing a Minion stack (with plenty of +actions from KC or something) and are about to cause a reshuffle with your next Minion play.  Mercenary is a dead card because you've already trashed all your junk, so you play it to keep it out of the reshuffle.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #727 on: October 21, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

Is "to get it out of your deck" a valid reason?  In this case, you don't really care that it's in play, and you the fact that it's no longer in your hand is unimportant.  The specific scenario: you are playing a Minion stack (with plenty of +actions from KC or something) and are about to cause a reshuffle with your next Minion play.  Mercenary is a dead card because you've already trashed all your junk, so you play it to keep it out of the reshuffle.

I think that has to fall under "get it out of your hand". You just want it out of your hand so that when you play Minion you won't discard it.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 21, 2014, 07:55:11 pm »

I should have known that I couldn't think of everything. Amalloy's was supposed to fall under have it in play, but it doesn't, and ehalcs was supposed to fall under get it out of your hand, but it doesn't. So those are valid answers, but not what happened.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 21, 2014, 07:57:47 pm »

what if you want to scheme it? Does that one work?
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 21, 2014, 08:03:23 pm »
+1

Doesn't conspirator technically fit liopoils puzzle too?  You don't need it in play, but simply to have played it.  One you've played it you don't care if it disappears from play.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:58 pm »

Doesn't conspirator technically fit liopoils puzzle too?  You don't need it in play, but simply to have played it.  One you've played it you don't care if it disappears from play.

Yes, that's technically correct.

The best kind of correct.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:01 pm »

yes, those "work". I'm thinking more along the lines of what mercenary actually does.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:17 pm »

I think Throne Rooming Mercenary and trashing cards only once is also a solution.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

I think Throne Rooming Mercenary and trashing cards only once is also a solution.
No, because I chose to play mercenary. The second time was forced.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:00 pm »
+2

You have King's Court, [strong attack], [strong non-attack] and Mercenary, with extra actions available.  The opponent might have a Moat in hand.  If no Moat, you'd prefer to KC the strong attack card.  If Moat, you'd prefer to KC the other card.  You play Mercenary first to check.

(KC or TR is necessary for this solution, because otherwise you just play both strong cards either way.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:01:13 pm by eHalcyon »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »

You have King's Court, [strong attack], [strong non-attack] and Mercenary, with extra actions available.  The opponent might have a Moat in hand.  If no Moat, you'd prefer to KC the strong attack card.  If Moat, you'd prefer to KC the other card.  You play Mercenary first to check.

(KC or TR is necessary for this solution, because otherwise you just play both strong cards either way.)
This is on the right track. The answer is simpler and neither KC nor TR is necessary.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 21, 2014, 09:38:57 pm »
+2

Your opponent has Horse Traders that you want them to activate because you are about to play Possession.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »

Your opponent has Horse Traders that you want them to activate because you are about to play Possession.
They don't have to reveal it, but they don't think you have possession? But they see that you play mercenary. Still, that could work

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:50 pm »

In a two player game, I chose to play a mercenary but decided not to trash any cards. To have not played the mercenary would be a mistake (strictly worse than playing it), but trashing cards would have been a mistake too (strictly worse than not trashing). I did not play it for the following reasons:

- to have it in play (e.g., for horn of plenty or peddler)
- to get it out of my hand (e.g., shanty town, farmland, or even something like forager)

What was the rationale behind my decision? I can only think of exactly one scenario where all of the statements above are true.

I think there are two possible reasons:
You have an Urchin in play and want to gain another Mercenary.
You want to activate your Conspirator.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:02 pm »
+1

You want to know if your opponent has moat before you play pillage?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2014, 10:33:39 pm »

All fine answers. Should I just say what happened? I think it's possibly the most common reason. Hint: while I did play more actions that turn, that had no influence on my decision.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:47 pm »

I was going to go with either:
1. You want to see if your opponent reveals a Reaction of some kind; or
2. You were in a Throne Room chain and thus had to play *an* Action card, you chose Mercenary because the alternatives would have been worse.

But those both seem to have been edged out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:33 am »

You choose for your opponent to play Mercenary during a Possession turn so that you can activate your own Secret Chamber, or activate your own HT or Beggar?  That doesn't seem like it would be common though.

I'm stumped.  Actions that came after didn't matter.  I don't see any way for Treasures that come after to matter.  What you buy or gain shouldn't matter because, if it did, it would be one of the situations you named initially.  You've already rejected Urchin, and no other cards that came prior will care about what you play after (unless I'm missing something). 

You said I was on the right track with the Moat-checking.  I'm not sure how that even works since you've ruled out influence from cards that come after, such as attack cards.  Uh, maybe knowing whether they have a Moat in their current hand gives you an edge in a future turn when you would consider playing another attack card?  Or knowing that Moat is in their hand lets you know that there's a lower chance of them having [important card] in hand, which may influence whether you break PPR?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 22, 2014, 12:39:01 am »

You are playing IRL.  You play the Mercenary and your opponent assumes you are going to trash, so discards two cards, allowing you to see one of the two sitting in the discard pile.  With that new information, you decide not to trash, allowing your opponent to pick up the cards again, but now with you having gained a small bit of information.

This also has a built in reaction test.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:34 am »

Kind of like what eHalcyon and Ashersky said. You were thinking of trashing for draw to dig for an attack card you really want to use against your opponent this turn (h
Say Witch or Saboteur), but your opponent blocks the Mercenary with Moat so there really is no point to dig for it anymore. Might as well try your luck with that Adventurer or whatnot with that last action.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #746 on: October 22, 2014, 08:24:14 am »
+2

It's a PPR situation. You have $8, know that you're going to have $8 next turn, and you know that the last cards in your opponent's deck and current hand are a Gold, five Coppers and a Moat. If he has the Moat in his hand, he can draw all of his Treasures, meaning that he will be able to buy a Province, which means you have to buy a Duchy now, but if he doesn't, he only has 5 cards which can't buy a Province for him, which means you can safely ignore PPR. If Goko gives him the option to reveal the Moat after you've played Mercenary, you know that he has one in hand, and if not, you know he doesn't.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:25:27 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:00 am »

You guys are really overthinking it...

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 22, 2014, 08:43:25 am »
+1

Is my puzzle too hard?

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 22, 2014, 09:12:49 am »
+1

You guys are really overthinking it...

You're preparing a critique of jsh's art rankings, and just want to make this turn longer to keep examining mercenary?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 21 queries.