Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808512 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #625 on: August 13, 2014, 12:54:34 pm »
+1

I just bought a Province and two Curses on my turn. There was no Masquerade or Mountebank in the kingdom, there were Coppers left in the Supply and buying the Curses did not empty the Curse pile (and it was not my intention to empty it at all). I had 1 Copper left in my deck. Why did I buy two Curses over Coppers?

I can think of at least 1 correct answer in addition to the one that actually happened.

Curses are double Embargoed, and you have Trader+Watchtower in hand. Trash the Curses you bought, turn the ones you're gaining through Embargo into Silver.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #626 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »

I just bought a Province and two Curses on my turn. There was no Masquerade or Mountebank in the kingdom, there were Coppers left in the Supply and buying the Curses did not empty the Curse pile (and it was not my intention to empty it at all). I had 1 Copper left in my deck. Why did I buy two Curses over Coppers?

I can think of at least 1 correct answer in addition to the one that actually happened.

Curses are double Embargoed, and you have Trader+Watchtower in hand. Trash the Curses you bought, turn the ones you're gaining through Embargo into Silver.
That's the other correct answer that I was thinking of, but why not reveal Trader for all the Silvers? Embargo happens on buy, Trader on would gain.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #627 on: August 13, 2014, 01:08:04 pm »

That's the other correct answer that I was thinking of, but why not reveal Trader for all the Silvers? Embargo happens on buy, Trader on would gain.

Yes, you're right. I was confusing the rules on Embargo with those on Cache and Death Cart (where you have to choose not to reveal the Trader in order to gain the "main" cards).

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #628 on: August 13, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

Okay, this one's a little far-fetched, but...there are a few cards that like Curse better than Copper. Vagrant and Farming Village are the ones that come to mind. Perhaps you're using Vagrant as draw, and then Cellar to replace your Curses with good cards; or you're playing a Gardens deck (explaining why you want either Curse or Copper at all) with Farming Villages in it and you'd like to skip over the junk you're buying.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 13, 2014, 01:23:54 pm »

Well ambassador/masquerade of course.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #630 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »

Okay, this one's a little far-fetched, but...there are a few cards that like Curse better than Copper. Vagrant and Farming Village are the ones that come to mind. Perhaps you're using Vagrant as draw, and then Cellar to replace your Curses with good cards; or you're playing a Gardens deck (explaining why you want either Curse or Copper at all) with Farming Villages in it and you'd like to skip over the junk you're buying.

I guess that's another correct answer, but not the one that actually happened.

Well ambassador/masquerade of course.

Masquerade wasn't in the kingdom and I don't think there's a reason to buy *two* Curses for Ambassador.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 13, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

In order to increase your number of unique cards for menagerie and/or fairgrounds; you bought two so you'd have one to trash for a mandatory trasher (such as Junk Dealer, which would still give you cantrip money) or to put you over a Gardens threshold.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2014, 05:57:32 pm »

In order to increase your number of unique cards for menagerie and/or fairgrounds; you bought two so you'd have one to trash for a mandatory trasher (such as Junk Dealer, which would still give you cantrip money) or to put you over a Gardens threshold.
That's a reason to buy one Curse instead of Copper, but normally you would prefer the Copper for the mandatory trasher and the Gardens threshold after you already have your number of unique cards increased.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

Why not a copper for the trasher?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:41 pm »
+3

You want cards to trash with a card like hermit or JOAT to activate your market squares

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »

You want cards to trash with a card like hermit or JOAT to activate your market squares
That's a good one, but still not what actually happened.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »

Ambassador is one, I suppose.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:08 pm »

Why two Curses? Wouldn't one be enough?

EDIT: Hint: I still had buys left when I ended the turn. Two was the exact number of Curses that I wanted.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:19:15 pm by Awaclus »

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »

You have a largish deck because you haven't had a chance to trash/send back coppers and it is a shelters game, and you want to ensure you match up at least one curse with your single Ambassador?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2014, 07:20:38 pm »

You have a largish deck because you haven't had a chance to trash/send back coppers and it is a shelters game, and you want to ensure you match up at least one curse with your single Ambassador?
Okay, I suppose there are situations where it's beneficial. Still not what actually happened, though.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2014, 07:37:06 pm »
+2

Oh that was clever!  (I cheated and looked up the log)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 13, 2014, 08:49:58 pm »

This is probably a stretch. But...

You are consistently drawing your deck. You have reliable trashing and a lead, but you processioned your only +buy this turn. You know that next turn you can curse them enough to empty the remainder of the curse supply and trash the curses you just bought. If you had gained coppers, you couldn't ensure emptying the supply next turn.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #642 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:37 pm »

This is probably a stretch. But...

You are consistently drawing your deck. You have reliable trashing and a lead, but you processioned your only +buy this turn. You know that next turn you can curse them enough to empty the remainder of the curse supply and trash the curses you just bought. If you had gained coppers, you couldn't ensure emptying the supply next turn.
(and it was not my intention to empty it at all).

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 13, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »

The +4VP was enough to make you tie with your opponent, but you would have lost on turns. You knew that you would draw a Watchtower, and also that your opponent would not have enough coins on their turn to buy another VP card. If they played a curser, you could trash the curse with the Watchtower and guarantee the shared victory.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:01 pm »

EDIT: Hint: I still had buys left when I ended the turn. Two was the exact number of Curses that I wanted.

Possession war? Curses to keep your own deck too weak to buy anything. 2 because of specific deck composition and/or score.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 14, 2014, 02:29:09 am »
+1

Coppers were Embargo'd 10 times and you just needed some fodder for your Junk Dealers.
Or obviously some Goons in play which meant the Curses gave you a net positive VP result.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2014, 02:41:23 am »
+2

Goons in play. Only hermit for trashing.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 14, 2014, 03:08:51 am »

Jack of All Trades also only trashes non-Treasure cards.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 14, 2014, 04:34:50 am »

Possession war? Curses to keep your own deck too weak to buy anything. 2 because of specific deck composition and/or score.
This plus top decking the curses and province with watchtower?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2014, 05:30:54 am »

You knew your opponent had a Possession in hand/was likely to play one, and after playing all the actions in an engine turn

1. Bought 2 Curses
2. Overpayed for a Doctor, triggering a reshuffle of junk cards, or overpay for Herald to topdeck junk cards.

letting you organize a hand that's useless when Possessed. You wanted Curses over Coppers because you actually needed to make sure opponent didn't get that extra $2, and you needed exactly 2 more junk cards to guarantee a dud. The problem is that if your opponent doesn't play Possession, you've put yourself behind, so this doesn't make much sense to me - you'd need your dud hand to have just enough money to make you win, but not enough to have the opponent win.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.