Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Easy Puzzles  (Read 808407 times)

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Puzzles
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »
+3

You can get 3 peddlers by the end of turn 2 in a solitaire game.

Open 5C.
Turn 1: Spend coin token, buy Stonemason and gain 2 Nomad Camps to top of deck. Draw them with Necropolis and 2C.
Turn 2: Play everything to get 6 coins, 3 buys, and peddlers down to a cost of 2. Buy 3 Peddlers (or a Peddler and a Stonemason).

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

Open 5C.
Turn 1: Spend coin token, buy Stonemason and gain 2 Nomad Camps to top of deck. Draw them with Necropolis and 2C.
Turn 2: Play everything to get 6 coins, 3 buys, and peddlers down to a cost of 2. Buy 3 Peddlers (or a Peddler and a Stonemason).

Wow, very nice!

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2013, 08:09:31 pm »
+8

Here's another simple one: Get 2 peddlers by (the end of) turn 2.

Baker in kingdom. Shelters. Open 4/3.

Turn 1: Buy Nomad Camp
Turn 2: Play Necropolis, Nomad Camp, (Peddlers cost 4), play 3 Coppers + 1 coin, buy a Stonemason, overpaying 4.
Yep, I was wondering if there might be another way but I doubt it.

Player 1 buys Noble Brigand, revealing Overgrown Estate and Hovel from each of Players 2, 3, and 4. (You're Player 4.)

Player 2 buys Stonemason + 2 Masquerades, draws Necropolis/Copper/Copper/shuffle/Masquerade/Masquerade.

Player 3 buys Stonemason + 2 Market Squares, draws Necropolis/Copper/Copper/shuffle/Market Square/Market Square.

Player 4 (you) buys Stonemason + 2 Squires, draws Necropolis/Copper/Copper/Squire/Squire.

Player 1

Player 2 plays Necropolis/Masquerade/Masquerade. You get both Market Squares from Player 3 for Coppers.

Player 3

Player 4 (you) plays Necropolis/Market Square/Market Square/Squire/Squire (for buys). Play 2 Copper. Buy 2 Stonemason, gaining 4 Peddlers. Buy 5 more Peddlers.

Can you get all 10? I can't.  :(

I can:

Baker (or Black Market including Baker), Noble Brigand, Stonemason, Masquerade, Border Village, Talisman, Squire and Peddler in the kingdom.

Turn 1:

Player 1 buys Noble Brigand.

Player 2 buys Stonemason and gains 2 Masquerades.

Player 3 buys Border Village and gains Talisman.

Player 4 (you) buys Stonemason and gains 2 Squires

Turn 2:

(your hand: Necropolis, Squire, Squire, junk, junk)

Player 1

Player 2 plays Necropolis and 2 Masquerades. You pass the 2 junk cards and receive Border Village and Talisman.

Player 3

Player 4 (you) plays Necropolis, Border Village, Squire (for buys), Squire (for buys) and Talisman.
Peddler costs 0$, you have 5 buys, and for each of the buys you gain a copy from Talisman = 10 Peddlers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:26:09 pm by Simon (DK) »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »
+2

Damn it, Player 3!  WTF?  I call shenanigans.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:48 am »

Open 5C.

When you play the two Stonemasons, don't you have to trash the other two copper in your hand so that you only have $4?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #405 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35:07 am »

You don't draw the Stonemasons.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #406 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:57 am »

ugh. I'm so good at this  :-X  ::)  :o  >:(  :-[
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #407 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:41 am »

In fact, you don't even have multiple Stonemasons.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:24 am »

Maybe too easy:
You lost Duchy split 1-7. At the end of the game your Dukes are worth 3 points. How is that possible?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:54 am »

You're playing a game with more than 2 players, so there are 4 more Duchies! ;D

But there are ways to steal them from your opponent, Masquerade/Ambassador (with Possession), Graverobber/Rogue.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:43 am »
+1

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2013, 06:15:23 am »

You're playing a game with more than 2 players, so there are 4 more Duchies! ;D
If that was the correct answer, it wouldn't be an easy puzzle.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2013, 10:53:38 am »
+3

Maybe too easy:
You lost Duchy split 1-7. At the end of the game your Dukes are worth 3 points. How is that possible?
Two technically correct answers:
-You have no Dukes (so all of them are worth 3 points)
-You have 1 Duke, which also exactly increases the value of your 2 Silk Road, so in some sense, the Duke is worth 3 points.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:15 am »
+1

Maybe too easy:
-You have 1 Duke, which also exactly increases the value of your 2 Silk Road, so in some sense, the Duke is worth 3 points.

Neither is technically correct.  If you have no Dukes, your Dukes are not worth anything.  If you have 1 Duke and 2 SR, the Duke itself would still be worth X equal to the number of Duchies you have; the increase in value of SR is the worth of the SR, not the Duke.

A technically correct answer would be -- you have 3 Dukes.  With 1 Duchy, 3 Dukes are worth 3 points.  (The question did not say that the Dukes were worth 3 points each.)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:07 am »
+9

If you have no Dukes, then it is true that each of your Dukes is worth 3 points.  It is also true that each of your Dukes is worth 17 points.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »
+1

You've been vacuoused!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2013, 07:34:26 pm »

Maybe too easy:

He later Ambassador'd 2 Duchies back to you. (or, you Saboteur'd+ Rouge'd him)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
+3

Maybe too easy:

To me, this statement means that, at the end of the game, when everyone counts up their cards, I have 1 Duchy in my deck and my opponent has 7.

"Losing the split" means I got 1 and he got 7.  If I later stole 2 Duchies with Possession/Ambassador, or Rogue, or whatever, I didn't lose the split 1/7.  I lost the split 3/5.

The correct answer has to be "I had 3 Dukes worth 1 VP each, so my "Dukes" were worth 3."
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:45 pm »

Maybe too easy:

Neither is technically correct.  If you have no Dukes, your Dukes are not worth anything.  If you have 1 Duke and 2 SR, the Duke itself would still be worth X equal to the number of Duchies you have; the increase in value of SR is the worth of the SR, not the Duke.

A technically correct answer would be -- you have 3 Dukes.  With 1 Duchy, 3 Dukes are worth 3 points.  (The question did not say that the Dukes were worth 3 points each.)

The first one can work, depending on your definition of  "your dukes are worth 3 points," if taken to mean "if a duke is in your deck, it is worth 3 points"  then if you don't have any dukes in your deck you have a contradiction and can derive anything.

Edit: Ninja'd (and I really shouldn't be surprised).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:07 pm »

Another way to say it is that your duchies are worth three points...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:14 pm »

Maybe too easy:

The first one can work, depending on your definition of  "your dukes are worth 3 points," if taken to mean "if a duke is in your deck, it is worth 3 points"  then if you don't have any dukes in your deck you have a contradiction and can derive anything.

I understand the logic involved, but the value of Dukes are clearly defined.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »

Maybe too easy:

I understand the logic involved, but the value of Dukes are clearly defined.
The definition of Duke's value is irrelevant if there are no Dukes in your deck.

I could say both "All of the turtles I have ever owned are alive" and "All of the turtles I have ever owned are dead" and be completely correct in both cases because I have never owned a turtle.  If there are no Dukes in your deck, then all of the dukes in your deck are worth 3 points, even if it's the case that if you would have had a Duke it would have been worth 1 point.  The only argument I can think of against that solution would be to say that the statement "your Dukes are worth 3 points" implies that you have at least one Duke, although I don't think it does.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:03:48 pm by scott_pilgrim »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »

I'd say that the statement, "your Dukes are worth 3 points" technically and literally says that the combined VP value of your Dukes is 3 points, which means that you CANNOT have 0 Dukes.  From the given "correct" answer, that wasn't the meaning meant, but that means the problem was incorrectly stated. ;)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:46 pm »

I'd say that the statement, "your Dukes are worth 3 points" technically and literally says that the combined VP value of your Dukes is 3 points, which means that you CANNOT have 0 Dukes.  From the given "correct" answer, that wasn't the meaning meant, but that means the problem was incorrectly stated. ;)
Ah, I guess that is another fair argument against that solution then.  I interpreted it as "each of your Dukes is worth 3 points" rather than "all of your Dukes (together) are worth 3 points".  Actually now that I think about it, the latter seems more like the technically correct interpretation, but the original post is ambiguous either way I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2013, 09:16:40 am »
+1

Maybe too easy:

That's not a contradiction.  The statement "If a Duke is in your deck, it is worth three points" is vacuously true in the case that there are zero Dukes in your deck.  The statement is satisfied because in every case when the hypothesis is satisfied, the conclusion is satisfied.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.